SR2 smoking

claudia

Featured Posts

The main difference in power between the SR2 and LR2 is gained by a longer stroke than the LR and possibly the SL, The bore diameters are the same 3.1/2''plus slightly different valve events to match. So in this case the SR2 should have slightly longer cylinder barrels making that engine slightly taller.Ian you need to find another boat with an SR2 and take some measurements and compare.

The SL i'm not sure how they gained the extra power over the LR. Probably stroke again.

Incidentally the injectors in the SR are different to the LR's and probably the SL's and not i'm almost sure interchangeable.

So if you buy my 2 SR injectors which are definitely SR ones and they don't fit then its certainly not an SR.

If you take one out Ian and photograph it and stick the pick up on here i can compare it with the real one,if its the same you have an SR. But be careful and take your time doing it.

THE PROBLEM IS ALMOST CRACKED!!!!, i think. HOORAY.

Before you get the tape measure out check here - the three types you mention all seem to have the same stroke of 3½ inches with different bores.

Before you get the tape measure out check here - the three types you mention all seem to have the same stroke of 3½ inches with different bores.

Quite right Richard thanks,i had it arse about face,the stroke remained the same and the bore diameter was increased to increase cubic capacity,me memory's not so good.

But still we still have the different injectors to identify Ian's engine when he gets one out and pic on here.

Yes there is a big difference between no load rev and underway rev its all looking like over propping, this does mean its not a SR2 because it should work. Yes I have pm'ed Chris. Has anyone turbo charged a Lister.

See what Chris comes up with first Ian and if no joy take out one injector i will Ahem guide you through it,put a pic of it on here length-wise and i can compare it with my true SR injector,if SR it will be the same,as i do remember that the LR and probably SL are different in nozzle length and so not interchangeable.

• 2 weeks later...

Right! Let's get back to work! While you were all stuffing yourself with sprouts, Pentargon was combing out the info provided by Richard Hula a while back and the following numbers have come up. All 2cyl air-cooled lumps are included and it's obvious higher initial letters denote later engines and ipso facto more grunt. 2 = 2cyl but we knew that and we all knew "M" is marinated (sic et stet smart-arses) for boat use. Note with interest that all the engines listed have the same crankshaft which has a 3.5" throw. But four different pistons give four different capacities.

Model Cyls Cap(cc) Bore/Stroke MAX BHP @ RPM Cool Wt Fuel

LD2 2 811 3 X 3&1/2 7 @ 1800 Air 408 lb Diesel

LD2M 2 811 3 X 3&1/2 7 @ 1800 Air 515 lb Diesel

LR2 2 811 3 X 3&1/2 10.5 @ 2500 Air 405 lb Diesel

LR2M 2 811 3 X 3&1/2 10.5 @ 2500 Air 530 lb Diesel

SL2 2 915 3&3/16 X 3&1/2 9.5 @ 2000 Air 408 lb Diesel

SL2M 2 915 3&3/16 X 3&1/2 9.5 @ 2000 Air 515 lb Diesel

SR2 2 1103 3&1/2 X 3&1/2 15.5 @ 2500 Air 416 lb Diesel

SR2M 2 1103 3&1/2 X 3&1/2 13 @ 2000 Air 635 lb Diesel

ST2 2 1266 3&3/4 X 3&1/2 21 @ 3000 Air 374 lb Diesel

ST2M 2 1266 3&3/4 X 3&1/2 20 @ 2600 Air 493 lb Diesel

TS2 2 1266 3&3/4 X 3&1/2 20.9 @ 2500 Air 408 lb Diesel

Mr. Bizzard's ST2M has 30% more power than my SR2M because he has more ccs than me AND he has an 'oversquare' engine which also indicates an ability to operate at higher revs. My square engine I would never run at 2000rpm. Note the L series, low capacity and 'undersquare' or 'longstroke'.

AND

We still don't know what engine Claudia is running, but having looked at and listened to the video, it does not really matter. It is a very sweet little engine, happily belching and chugging away just like mine. I have Bizzard's ears and Ian will inherit them some day because he is in there learning all the way. Shall we continue to try to figure it out for Ian and further our own educations at the same time? or what?

Edited by Pentargon

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread to ask, did Ian (Claudia) ever get to a conclusion and a solution on this problem?

Roger

No not really.We came to an almost final conclusion that he has the lower powered SL or LR and not an SR engine.If so he'll need to reduce his props pitch by a couple of inches or so,but we need to know the exact engine really.Without checking i'm almost certain that the SR injectors are different visually to the SL and LR engines at the nozzle end. I have 2 SR injectors in stock so if he takes one out and sticks a pic up on here i could compare it with mine. He can't find any identification numbers on it.But its almost certainly an ex industrial unit as it turns the opposite way to a marine unit.It also has the industrial bell housing on it adapted to fit that Italian gearbox.

Hi to all and a happy new year to come I hope. I have been away for the festive time so not thought to much about my problem, as some one pointed out I am out of my depth when you start asking me to adjust things on the govenor, I don't even see an injector pump. I have really tried to find some form of numbers on the lump but to no avail. The next thing I will do is take out an injector which I hope is not to hard a job and show it to Bizzard. If it is the same I will get them as it can't hurt to have good clean units for it to work with.

Hi to all and a happy new year to come I hope. I have been away for the festive time so not thought to much about my problem, as some one pointed out I am out of my depth when you start asking me to adjust things on the govenor, I don't even see an injector pump. I have really tried to find some form of numbers on the lump but to no avail. The next thing I will do is take out an injector which I hope is not to hard a job and show it to Bizzard. If it is the same I will get them as it can't hurt to have good clean units for it to work with.

Ahoy Ian.Happy new year. The governor adjuster is the engine stop plate situated just above the fuel lift pump under the air cooling outlet duct,an oval little plate about 2''X 1'' with like an metal switch on it with a curved adjusting slot at the top with a bolt in it.Looking at it face on slacken the bolt and turn the little plate anti-clockwise to the end of the bolts curved slot and tighten,you can always put it back where it was if it makes no difference. I'd try it first before removing an injector. bizzard.

I am a new member to the forum, but if it helps I am happy to be a second pair of eyes on this engine. I live not far from Saxilby (Lincs) in Retford. My engine is anSR2 which I rebuilt a few years ago. I also have a background in engineering.

Les

Hi Les you sound like just the chap I need to meet up with, if you are coming this way anytime I would be pleased to see you and put the kettle on. It would really help to identify my engine then I can move forward. My mobile is 07850 425798 if for some reason I don't answer just leave a short message and I will ring back cheers, Ian.

Hi all adding to this thread I know have an injector out and will get my lad to put it on here soon, in the mean time can somebody explain the leak off pipes as I assumed they ran excess fuel back to the tank but in my engines case nothing comes out of the pipes, not at the tankend, the combined end or the injector end. Kind of makes the leak off pointless.

Didn't know Parkinsons was still going, they used to be on outer circle.

They can probably tell you from the numbers what model of engine the injectors were made for. No 100% guarantee that they will be the right ones for your engine, though!

Tim

Just had a look in the SRM Parts List and they are nothing like the drawing, or like the ones I have on my SR2. So as suggested by others, it may not be a SR2.

Les

Parkinsons have moved, they are now at:

Parkinson House,

Wrightsway,

LN2 4JY,

Telephone: 01522 530176

Les

Hi all adding to this thread I know have an injector out and will get my lad to put it on here soon, in the mean time can somebody explain the leak off pipes as I assumed they ran excess fuel back to the tank but in my engines case nothing comes out of the pipes, not at the tankend, the combined end or the injector end. Kind of makes the leak off pointless.

How much leakage depends upon the condition of the injector nozzles. As they get older, they will leak more, new-ish ones may leak very little. If the leakoff pipe is blocked, there's more likelihood of injector dribble and other ills.

Newer engines often have the leakoff linked into a return pipe from the lift pump, these will show a constant flow back to the tank when the engine is running.

Tim

Ahoy Ian,that is definitely not an SR injector i've just compared it with my ones which are definitely SR as they came out of my old SR2 and i had them serviced. They have pintle nozzles and very prominent cooling fins which match the cooling fins on the cylinder head.The SR manual also shows this type only also for the SR. Yours is entirely different.It looks like your engine is an SL or LR for which i'm afraid i have no manual or data. I'll have a search on the internet and see what i can find.

Hi Bizzard was you having a lie in this morning, this means I am over propped which means I have waisted alot of money and effort. Think I will stick my arm down the weed hatch with a file till it goes numb, wonder how much I need to file off?

Didn't know Parkinsons was still going, they used to be on outer circle.

Drive through Wickes car park turn left then as the road turns left thay are on the right hand side.

It does look similar to a HR injector,thave you tried Chris B,they identified mine over the phone i read a number to them i think it was under the rocker bar.

Hi Bizzard was you having a lie in this morning, this means I am over propped which means I have waisted alot of money and effort. Think I will stick my arm down the weed hatch with a file till it goes numb, wonder how much I need to file off?

Doing that would not alter the pitch ''the twist''of the blades just reduce their area,upset their foil shape and put it out of balance. Your engine could be an SL or an LR. They go down in HP rating like so.SR most powerful SL less powerful and LR least powerful. I'd say off the back of my head your props pitch needs reducing by about 2 inches.

Pitch works like this---- For every full rotation of a prop with say a 13 inch pitch would move the prop along 13inches if you can imagine it screwing into say a block of cheese, an 8inch pitch would screw it along 8inches. But of course the water not being solid acts like slipping clutch.

Until you can establish with certainty what your engine actually is you can't determine the rated power. Once you know the power (and other details of the gearbox, boat etc.), you can request a prop sizing estimation from someone like Crowthers. Once you have that info only then can you appreciate how far out your existing prop is from correct and make a sensible decision about the best route to rectify the problem.

Roger