Shardlow mooring berth.

andywatson

Featured Posts

I have a permanent berth at Shardlow in a very nice rural (farm) marina on which I may be able to arrange, with the owners approval, a sub let for about 9 months to 1 year.

The berth has water and power but NO other major services. ie restaurant, clubroom, laundry, shops etc

Shardlow village has good village amenities including several good pubs.

It is well placed for cruising the T and M, the Trent, The Erewash and Southwards via the Soar.

Transport links are good being close to the M1 j 24 and the East Mids Airport to Derby Station shuttle bus stops in the village.

This berth costs a very reasonable £25.20p per week for a 60 ft boat.

If anyone is seriously interested please PM me.

Edited by andywatson

*sobs*

I would love to take you up on that Andy...I dream of mooring there, it's such a lovely little marina. Sadly I am tied in to my current marina till April. :(

Anyone who is in a position to take this offer up....go for it, those moorings are like gold dust, and very lovely village too.....tons of decent pubs!!!

Shardlow is indeed a nice place and has some nice pubs, one of my favourite places, a handy and helpful chandlers too - BUT it is a long walk to the shop....which is quite a small PO/off licence.

:( drat double no more like triple fiddlesticks as I too am unable to leave my present marina till March 2012.

hmm... idea !! how about postponing your move erm.... cough! cough! till say next March ??? Ok ! Ally lol its was just a try lol ;)

Shardlow is indeed a nice place and has some nice pubs, one of my favourite places, a handy and helpful chandlers too - BUT it is a long walk to the shop....which is quite a small PO/off licence.

What do you expect, a Tesco 300 yards away.

Incidentally, although it is small the PO sells everthing from coal to Shardlow Brewery Ale gift packs.

What do you expect, a Tesco 300 yards away.

Incidentally, although it is small the PO sells everything from coal to Shardlow Brewery Ale gift packs.

Well a Tesco that close would be nice .. ;)

- and yes it's a great little shop, I've been there a few times, but I assumed as your OP made no ref. to parking that any moorer would be on Shank's pony or at the very least a bike, if parking is available close by fairy nuff, but if it's not surely better for anybody taking the mooring up knows all the facts.

OK here's a fact:

The berth has it's own parking space adjacent and there is plenty of overflow parking for visitors etc.

WARNING! this is a rural marina so the roads and parking etc are on crushed

stone not finely graded tarmac.

Do not enter the site if you are upset by getting mud on your car.

Edited by andywatson

Each berth has it's own parking space and there is plenty of overflow parking.

WARNING! this is a rural marina so the roads and parking etc are on crushed

stone not finely graded tarmac.

Do not enter the site if you are upset by getting mud on your car.

No need to be sarcastic....

Sounds nice though.

It really is a lovely marina...I suppose it all depends what you like, but infact, not many marina's are next to a Tesco...not would many folk actually want to moor next to a tesco! It is a marina with personality, rural but cared for. I'd give my eye teeth to be there.

It really is a lovely marina...I suppose it all depends what you like, but infact, not many marina's are next to a Tesco...not would many folk actually want to moor next to a tesco! It is a marina with personality, rural but cared for. I'd give my eye teeth to be there.

I agree totally, testimony to it is how often it can be difficult to find a visitor mooring there in peak periods, - that is not what I was advocating though.

As already said Shardlow is a great little village and handily for boaters it has a very helpful and well stocked chandlers right next to the cut.

I have just always found it strange that the only shop in the village is right on the very northern edge of the village rather than somewhere nearer the centre where the main pubs reside. But it's been established as a none issue now anyway.

I have no doubt it will go quickly.

There used to be a shop at each end of the village but the shop which was right on the cut closed some time ago.

(It was on the main road next to the Clock Warehouse bridge)

When the new road was put in and passing traffic through Shardlow fell dramatically the Post Office "upped their game" to survive.

They have diversified into anything that sells, extended their hours and are very friendly . Consequently they have grown a loyal village and boaters following.

The current situation on the mooring is that lots of people are interested but seem to have just paid ther fees at other marinas.

I spoke to a chap on Saturday who is moving onto a sub-let berth.

He has been on the waiting list 6 years (!)

Oh I don't believe this why didn't I see this post a few days ago. :( I love this place. I have spent many an hour looking over this location with envious eyes and would love to berth there. I even telephoned to see if there were any berths available a month or two ago and was told nothing was available.

DRINKING CLUB???? How does one acquire a berth at this much fabled marina? It seems to be on a par with finding rocking horse shite...

That is much more common, even the varnished, hardwood, premium variety.

BTW one calls it manure in Shardlow.

Edited by andywatson

I don't know what the per capita beer consumption is in Shardlow but there sure are plenty of boozers for a smallish village.From East to West:

Old Crown

Navigation

Malt Shovel

New Inn

Clock Warehouse

Shakespeare

Dog and Duck

And..............Shardlow Brewery

Hic

Edited by andywatson
  • Greenie 1

I don't know what the per capita beer consumption is in Shardlow but there sure are plenty of boozers for a smallish village.From East to West:

Old Crown

Navigation

Malt Shovel

New Inn

Clock Warehouse

Shakespeare

Dog and Duck

We bought our first boat end of August and I did wonder why the other half preferred the marina in Shardlow to any others we looked at!! Seriously Shardlow is nice and a good location for the T&M, Soar, Erewash.