the pros and cons of a tug deck –v- well deck design?

Joshua

Featured Posts

I think we need Harry Hill to sort this one out.

Earlier in the year we came through Stoke with a couple who had an elderly dog on board. Because he couldn't manage the drop down to the well deck they had sort of converted it to tug style, and it became the dog's kennel as they had a sort of cratch cover as well. It looked ok to me and I seem to remembere they appreciated the extra storage underneath the "new" deck. I've thought of doing something similar ever since but now I'm worried that people will point and laugh.

But on a cruiser the well deck in the bow is hardly used so why not enclose it.

Another advantage is it's a lot easier when you have to throw bow ropes up from the bottom of a lock (eg on the Thames), when you have a couple of feet extra height.

Tugs do look "right" I agree.

Get on and finish it warwick.

that lovely boat needs to be afloat.

only thing about it that does not conform to current trends is that it looks too real?

im working on it five days a week :rolleyes: ..the cabins very straight and the hulls is full of dinks i wanted an old boat and if im honest couldnt afford a propper boat so iv tried to create one..a few pics from a few weeks ago

boatinterior011.jpg

danishoilworktopboat003.jpg

danishoilworktopboat005.jpg

Edited by station tug

Hi Warwick, that is one bonny looking boat. How did you achieve some of the shaping, that's gone into it?

Did you have access to an existing boat, to copy, or make drawings from?

Also, what diameter are the portholes? look to be about 11"?

Lastly, any pics of the engine room (or just any pics) Cheers...

Summat's just 'appened to me member, it was short but now it's long, musta' been them boat pics :)

Edited by NB Esk

Hi Warwick, that is one bonny looking boat. How did you achieve some of the shaping, that's gone into it?

Did you have access to an existing boat, to copy, or make drawings from?

Also, what diameter are the portholes? look to be about 11"?

Lastly, any pics of the engine room (or just any pics) Cheers...

Summat's just 'appened to me member, it was short but now it's long, musta' been them boat pics :)

i used ratchet straps to shape everything, cabin/deck counter bows etc etc..i knew i had 6"10 width and i wanted 57 ft length.when id finished its ended up 61.6 x 6.10 1/2..i didnt copy or have a look at any other boats really just built from memory but its ended up quite tall..im 6.3 and iv got 4 inchs head clearence..the portholes are 11" and there 8 inch in the back cabin..

12022011062.jpg

15022011067.jpg

15022011066.jpg

boatpaint001.jpg

boatpaint002.jpg

boattractorpull013.jpg

boatpaint006.jpg

boatpaint008.jpg

boattractorpull003.jpg

Edited by station tug
  • Greenie 1

Those are great, thanks for posting them. I can't actually get far enough away from mine, to photo it side on....so, no idea what it looks like :blink:

Is your engine mounted off centre?, can't make my mind up if it's that, or just the angle of the pic. Also, from the position of the lower guard iron, does the hull have small chines? This was a feature I'd not come across, 'till it was too late to use it on mine. Oh well...

Sound job, keep at it... :cheers:

Those are great, thanks for posting them. I can't actually get far enough away from mine, to photo it side on....so, no idea what it looks like :blink:

Is your engine mounted off centre?, can't make my mind up if it's that, or just the angle of the pic. Also, from the position of the lower guard iron, does the hull have small chines? This was a feature I'd not come across, 'till it was too late to use it on mine. Oh well...

Sound job, keep at it... :cheers:

hi, the engine is mounted to one side of the centre of the boat the engine room is 7 foot long, at some point im going to fit a twin cylinder engine so it sounds like a propper boat...theres about 8/10mm of chine sticking out..if im honest about the boat i dont like the veiw stood on the deck looking down onto the gas locker lid..looks pinched and out of proportion..if i cant live with it it'l be getting pulled back out of the water for a new bow next summer..im hoping it will look ok in the water..iv built far more sterns than i have bows and it shows...

hi, the engine is mounted to one side of the centre of the boat the engine room is 7 foot long, at some point im going to fit a twin cylinder engine so it sounds like a propper boat...theres about 8/10mm of chine sticking out..if im honest about the boat i dont like the veiw stood on the deck looking down onto the gas locker lid..looks pinched and out of proportion..if i cant live with it it'l be getting pulled back out of the water for a new bow next summer..im hoping it will look ok in the water..iv built far more sterns than i have bows and it shows...

Thanks again, that explains a lot. There's me assuming (wrongly) it's your first attempt & it turns out you're an old hand at it. Certainly shows tho', fine boat. It took me most of the Summer of 2008 (spare time) to sort my bows, but they were formed from individual *planks*. Worth it tho', won't be building another.

Keep the pics coming when you get the chance...