Coventry Canal Cleanup

Chalky

Featured Posts

Just found this on the BBC

"Volunteers are wanted to help clean up Coventry's canals and towpaths ahead of the 2012 Olympics.

Coventry's Ricoh Arena will host Olympic football matches and the University of Warwick is being used as a training venue.

The clean-up takes place at the Canal Basin and Swan Lane on 29 October and is part of Make a Difference Day, organised by the charity CSV.

Further details can be found by contacting Voluntary Action Coventry"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-15421694

To be honest, I've just come up the Coventry Arm and am at this minute in the basin.

Can i ask what rubbish there on about? It all looks pretty clear to me, all the way from Hawksbury Junction, accept that there are lots of supermarket bags hung every where someone can hang em! Are they to take the place of litter bins? cus i suspect they will all be blown in the cut the next gust of wind we have!

To be honest, I've just come up the Coventry Arm and am at this minute in the basin.

Can i ask what rubbish there on about? It all looks pretty clear to me, all the way from Hawksbury Junction, accept that there are lots of supermarket bags hung every where someone can hang em! Are they to take the place of litter bins? cus i suspect they will all be blown in the cut the next gust of wind we have!

That's because Maffi's been through and cleaned up.

Other thread

MMM agree with Nipper .....the Cov past the Rioch stadium is one of the best bits, clean tidy and smart, and a massive Tesco too...

and none of their trolleys in the cut to ride over.

An urban swan's nest just before the basin - the sofas and wheelie bins are out of shot!

img_5565.jpg

Ange we didn't even see a tin can, honest!

also, for those that are interested, we had a quiet night here at the basin, all on our own, although it is not secure at all, and what's this I have read about a Warden or Ranger??

There seems to be some sort of Market being set up now too!

Nipper

MMM agree with Nipper .....the Cov past the Rioch stadium is one of the best bits, clean tidy and smart, and a massive Tesco too...

and none of their trolleys in the cut to ride over.

During the big freeze of December 2009, we were stuck solid in Glascote Basin. As a means to relieve our boredom, we used to skate along the towpath to the Anchor Pub which is adjacent to a road bridge that spans the canal. Partly submerged was a dislodged road sign, various old tyres and numerous other bits of debris.

As the canal was frozen over, the evidence of regular dumping from off the bridge was nothing short of a disgrace. I thought the Reeds & Liverpool Canal was bad until I'd witnessed this.

With reference to the original post, why does it have to take a special event to take place before there's a call to clean up the canal?

Mike

Edited by Doorman

I won't be litter picking at hawksbury next week be cause of the Olympics

I'll be doing it because Maffi highlighted a way I can help keep a part of my local area

free from crap

Because as we as boaters don't do it no one will.

I don't have this problem where our boat is moored but litter strewn tow-paths puts other boaters off visiting our hidden gem

and as a Coventry lad I know my city has a lot to offer the boating community, holiday makers and boat owners alike a warm welcome

I'll even give anyone a tour historical or social (weekends only i have to work)

Don't turn left at Hawkesbury unless you're taveling north then left is the right direction :cheers:

Ange we didn't even see a tin can, honest!

also, for those that are interested, we had a quiet night here at the basin, all on our own, although it is not secure at all, and what's this I have read about a Warden or Ranger??

There seems to be some sort of Market being set up now too!

Nipper

I'm really pleased to hear that nipper! We've been to the basin a few times and have always felt that the last bit of canal really lets it down, so they must have had a clean up. The basin's great, and if they're setting up a market there it'll get better as it did seem very under-used. I've posted on quite a few threads on the forum recommending the basin because our experiences there have always been positive. Last time we were there we met a couple of security guards who patrolled it late at night and had a laugh with them (ok they had a laugh taking the mickey out of our aerial, which is rather big for a narrowboat, but it was all in good fun :D)