Does anyone know the cause?

theguitardoctor

Featured Posts

Hi there,

I don't know if anyone can help out with the following query but any advice or ideas will be much appreciated.

We looked at a couple of boats today - 70ft at Uplands basin and 60ft at Overwater Marina. The 70ft was a good price, but over the years it has been neglected a little, so it's a project, albeit nothing terminal or major. It had a water pump burst which has left some staining to the inner panels in the saloon area. Beyond this it needed cosmetic work both inside and out and at a fairly high level.

The 60ft was better, albeit needing some finishing and updating to the interior (galley and saloon), and some "touching up" of the exterior paintwork due to a number of rust scabs (they have been anti rust treated thus far).

Due to the slightly better condition of the Overwater boat, we are tempted to go for it as we'll end up doing some work on any boat to make it our own anyway.

We are told that it was lived on until a few months ago, but has stood/floated since then.

However....and this is the query.....(finally)

We noticed that there were vertical drip marks at intervals along the interior side wall panels. All of them were dry and light in colour apart from one near to the stove (which could have emanated from a failed chimney sealing job I suppose). None of the panels were "swollen".

Are they common?

Are they cause by condensation of the hull (spray foam insulated) finding tiny gaps in the foam, thus working it's way through to the side panels?

Can it be cured?

Has it just been caused by lack of heating and airing of the boat since it has been locked up at the Marina?

Any boat we end up making a real move for will be fully surveyed etc, but ahead of this I thought I would ask for the excellent advice of the forum members.... :help:

I didn't check but that is posible in a couple of places...although I'm sure there were more of these stains than there were vents...

I take it that rain getting in is a possible cause if the marks are near to the vents...?

Always get a qualified marine surveyor to take a look at the whole boat before you buy or make an offer. A few pennies spent now could save you (many) pounds in the future.

Oxalic Acid will susually shift stains that are similar to these. I had some water ingress leaving stains similar to how these sound. mix it 10% w/w and the results are great. not sure about the cause but reckon it sounds like roof vents / windows. agree with JR. spending that sort of money on a boat - get a survey (in and out)

A wild guess, but from your description it sounds like condensation, sorted by proper ventilation. We have hopper top windows that are never closed which sorts it. A full survey may get some insight behind the t and g though. Good luck.

Will do, and thanks again. The hull seems sound, the boat is about 8 years old so I'm crossing my fingers for the offer to go through, then we can get on with a survey.

Overwater is only 3 days away by canal, as opposed to the 2 weeks plus of the last one we made an offer on...!

The boat can also be blacked, painted (touch up) and surveyed all at the marina, again as opposed to a 2 day sail from Sheffield to Doncaster..! :rolleyes:

The people down at the boat sheds can also do shell modifications if necessary....

All in all this should be a smoother operation from start to finish if it all pans out properly..!! :captain:

I take it you have the money for this one as you said you made an offer on the last one but in your previous posts you said could not get a loan, so it seams pointless to put offers in and built the sellers hopes up if you do not have the finance's to buy it. Also make sure you read the contract properly before you sign and pay a deposit as I take it your using a broker or private????

Edited by mickeyduff

I take it you have the money for this one as you said you made an offer on the last one but in your previous posts you said could not get a loan, so it seams pointless to put offers in and built the sellers hopes up if you do not have the finance's to buy it. Also make sure you read the contract properly before you sign and pay a deposit as I take it your using a broker or private????

If you can't mind your own business you could at least read his previous posts properly.

• Greenie 2

Oxalic Acid will susually shift stains that are similar to these. I had some water ingress leaving stains similar to how these sound. mix it 10% w/w and the results are great. not sure about the cause but reckon it sounds like roof vents / windows. agree with JR. spending that sort of money on a boat - get a survey (in and out)

Take care with the oxalic acid, though. It's poisonous.

N

If you can't mind your own business you could at least read his previous posts properly.

:tired: If people minded their own business what would be the point of forums like these??? as would you post an answer to people's threads if you minded your own business? :banghead:

I did I'm on about previous threads and posts as he said he put an offer in for a boat and agreed to have the contracts amended prior to survey but in the end he could not get aproval for the additional money he needed to complete so he is now looking for a cheaper boat, what's your problem or have I misread he's previous threads????

Why don't YOU read he's previous threads as there well documented that he could not get a loan for the additional funds, all I'm saying is it's always better to have your funds in place before you put the offers in and have contracts drawn up unlike last time he went for a boat.

Edited by mickeyduff

:angry: For your information, I have the funds for this one and I am not in the habit of making offers that I cannot follow through on.....I only got to the point of offering on the last, more expensive one as we were told in principal by Pro-Asset Marine via David Brewer that the finances would not be a problem as we were borrowing under half of the total value of the boat with the loan secured against said vessel.

In fact, and you may check this with Pro-Asset Management...here is the email they sent to us after David Brewer was consequently sacked for countless scores of mishandling propsective clients....us being the last straw as I moved to complain directly to the MD.

Dear Mr Stubbs

Thank you for your email, and for bringing this to my attention. If I may, I would like to speak to you tomorrow to explain the series of events that have occurred since your initial enquiry, and to personally apologise for what I can only describe as a disgraceful and extremely unprofessional service on our part.

What is the best number to reach you on please?

Kind regards Dale Bywater

Managing Director

07979 288929

Sent from my iPhone

There's his number if you wish to check the facts out for yourself and verify the course of events.

What transpired was that we were given figures by David Brewer, accepted in principal with the loan against the vessel, thus we made the offer to CV Marina (and yes I am aware that you are involved with them so you should also know the lengths we went to in order to salvage the situation). The offer was accepted, I returned to Pro-Asset, who then stated that they could not offer the funding without a property to secure the loan against. It is to be a liveaboard, thus I will not have said property, obviously. We rang and explained the situation to Gordon at CV, and turned to Nat West, who offered a loan at some 16.5% APR, again in principal. I'm sure you would find this unacceptable also...we would be paying back a huge amount in interest alone which is why we also complained to them (my accounts are now being moved to Santander as I am so disillusioned with their so called customer service/loyalty having been a customer for 30 years and never even once been into my "free" overdraft or missed a credit card payment). Would you like to see the proof of that too...??

We then turned to Roy Scot Larch who also agreed us the loan in principal at a much more acceptable rate of 11% APR or thereabouts. When we sent off documents however, they refused on the grounds that our year end profits were too low (we're both self-employed). So I pay an accountant a hefty sum to keep my profits down to keep my tax bill down but it works against me in this instance. Even with our accounts together we were no better off.

What galled me was that I could be drawing £25,000 a year and RSL would still refuse the loan if my year end Net profit was low...??? :banghead:

We even looked into personal loans split across several family members, one member acting as a guarantor etc, but in the end it would not be fair to drag it out incessantly to let the seller down. Rather we pulled out before we got too far down the road to allow the seller to market the boat freely without thinking we were still sorting the loan.

Literally every avenue has been closed to us as we are self employed. I even checked my credit rating and I score 920 out of 1000, yet I cannot secure a reasonable loan.

As Chertsey said...if you fully read my previous posts on Marine Mortgages etc, you will see how hard we tried.

As regards the contracts, we were the ones who pulled up the 5% repair acceptance clause before signing and re-negotiated it down to 0.1%...!! How is that not reading the contract??

Feel free to apologise or realise your ill informed comment was out of order at any time.......

why apologise? all I have stated you have told the world on your previous Threads and posts and added some more on this one with regards to your financial situation and being unable to get a loan, So as I said hope you have everything in place this time before you put the offer in both financial and moorings and as for the contracts read them at the brokers and get any issues sorted out at that stage, it saves time as the quicker you can complete will work in your favour, good luck.

Edited by mickeyduff

I enjoy reading the posts of most forum colleagues, but I have to say that there is one contributor to this thread whom I hope I never have to moor next to, unless I am equipped with earplugs and/ or an AK47. It ain't you, Doc, in case you were wondering.

Great news, Doc!

But think twice before switching to Santander. They have some very odd rules and regs - for example they have decided that any cheque withdrawn from a savings account must be for over £1,000 - not £1,000, OVER that amount. So a couple of times this year I have had to request a cheque for £1,000.01p.

Edited by Athy

Thanks for that, will do that if we get it...!

Also "wanted" - you may be right, I think as the boat has been effectively sealed up since being put up for sale, if there was condensation present, no one would be there to air it out...

I hope so, its the same as a house really, these things need to be lived in, visited often or winterised really. Congratulations on your new boat!

Rob

:captain:

Thanks for that although our cheque useage is pretty low. We have internet banking set up which allows us to move funds between accounts instantly, so I'd probably just pull it from the savings to the current account and then write the cheque...if that isn't blocked by them...?

It has to beat Nat West...today I phoned my Account Manager to warn him that £2500 would be being processed as a card payment. He said that he did not have any influence on that (as with the aforementioned loan), but it shouldn't be a problem with the balance that we had in the account the card was linked to. I then tried to have the transaction sorted, and would you believe it...they slammed a "please contact the security centre" to the transaction....I called Nat West again and argued it out with them, but basically I'm :banghead: with them, so I got the broker's client account number and just did a transfer. Again in branch, NatWest failed to inform me that you can electronically transfer £10k each day free of charge, and tried to tell us it would cost £24 via Chaps. Only when I pointed out that we knew we could send the money free of charge did they back down and do the transaction as a simple "bill pay". Hopefully, unless they messed that up too, the money will be visible to the broker tomorrow. I'm sure you can see my frustration with them now...it's almost as if I'm not allowed access to my own hard earned savings..!!! :angry:

After that, all the savings will be pooled into the current account where I will use a Chaps payment (the boat balance is in excess of £10K) to sort the final amount, providing the survey comes back with no major issues.

That's the next stage in fact...speak to the boatyard to see when they can haul out, book the survey, if that all goes well then we'll have her blacked (desperatelty needs it), have the paintwork sorted as it needs touching up due to a few rust spots that were treated a couple of months ago. Hopefully we can schedule all of this to run smoothly...although the practice may well be different to the reality.

I'll ask that paint question in another post I think....!!

Thanks for all the positives, even if there's no escape from the odd negative influence that floats around these forums.... ;)

I think you're right....that will all change when we take possession...! :cheers:

once again you tell the world of your plight, some how you seam hard done by, both in getting your loan oh sorry you didn't, maybe there's more to your situatian then your telling. after all I here you were a couple of kids, anyway good luck on your NARROWBOAT as it seams you sure couldn't afford the £70,000 dutch barge you tried for, time wasters oh once again sorry kids, Oh

Oh for god's sake once again a pair of kids that think they can just up sticks and live on the canals for a cheap way of life, lol, why don't you try for a morgage on a house? Oh maybe you can't being a sucsesfull business man that pays himself minimuim wage, tossa

Oh for god's sake once again a pair of kids that think they can just up sticks and live on the canals for a cheap way of life, lol, why don't you try for a morgage on a house? Oh maybe you can't being a sucsesfull business man that pays himself minimuim wage, your not really boaters just a couple that can't afford a house

Edited by mickeyduff