80 litres of hot water!

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

It must depend on the engine - with a big block Chevy at full power seconds, but with a more normal narrowboat diesel engine you are probably looking at half an hour.

If it takes much more than that its probably because you are warming the canal to cool the engine in preference to heating the calorifier.

As well as heating coil area and volume of water, it will depend on how much spare heat there is - on how hard the engine is working (how much diesel you are burning!). Meandering slowly past miles of moored boats will take rather longer than struggling against a current!

As an example, many modern diesel car engines go cold when sitting in traffic with the heater on in winter as there is so little waste heat being produced. Some even have separate diesel heaters fitted to compensate.

Chris

Depends of the configuration of the pipework. If the whole of the water pump output to the skin tank goes through the calorifier coil first, then I'd say the calorifier will heat up at exactly the same pace as the engine does. I.e. about half an hour. If it is connected to the heater connections in parallel with the skin tank circuit I'd expect it to take an hour or more. Depends entirely on how fast the coolant is circulating though it.