Flu Installation

Spacebar

Featured Posts

I have a boatman stove with a 4 inch opening but I have sleeved over a 5 inch flu pipe.

It all fits snug but my question is why do I need the firecement and how do I place the cement?

Do I make a bed of cement around the flu base or do I make a wall or is there something neater looking I can use?

I tested the fire last night and it smelt dodgy despite having a good pull so I'm assuming something is leaking.

Thanks.

I assume there is a coller on top of the fire that the flue sits in if thats correct the fire cement makes up the small gap between the two and when its gone off it should hold it solid. As for the smell if its new it is just burning off the oils and greasy paw marks, have a good blizzy with all the doors and windows open it will soon clear.

I assume there is a coller on top of the fire that the flue sits in if thats correct the fire cement makes up the small gap between the two and when its gone off it should hold it solid. As for the smell if its new it is just burning off the oils and greasy paw marks, have a good blizzy with all the doors and windows open it will soon clear.

I think the op is saying the top of the boatmans stove has a 4" socket, and he has fitted a 5" flue OVER the socket, - not inside it which is normal. I also have a boatmans and a 4" flue inside.

I would put fire cement on the sprocket before putting the 5" flue on. - the smells will likely be the oils and gunk as already stated.

The gap between the stove collar and flue should really be stuffed with fire rope (glass rope) and then the fire cement goes on top of that. It comes in different thicknesses.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6mm-GLASS-FIBRE-SEAL-LAGGING-ROPE-STOVES-FIRES-/160354580760?pt=UK_HG_FireplacesMantelpieces_RL&hash=item2555e0b918

Fire cement is generally quite brittle stuff when it dries and tends to crack. I put a smear of high temp silicone on top of the cement which stops it from cracking. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-HEAT-RESISTANT-SILICONE-SEALANT-HIGH-TEMP-HT30-/320654938471?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item4aa8861167

Some people use high temp silicone at the bottom of the flue instead of fire cement, but it's generally only recommended for sealing the top of the flue as it exits the cabin roof where temperatures are lower. If the temperature your stove isn't going to exceed the rating of the silicone then I guess you could use it on the bottom of the flue too.

I think the op is saying the top of the boatmans stove has a 4" socket, and he has fitted a 5" flue OVER the socket, - not inside it which is normal.

In which case he has the wrong diameter flue because it will be very difficult to seal.

Edited by blackrose

Sorry I didn't mention but this is going in a house so a heating engineer said use a 5 inch over it as 4 inch will pull less in a house as there is further for the fumes to go.

As it's a boat stove I thought I would ask here.

Thanks for the info about the flu and the flue.

Are we saying here that the fire is a 4inch flue but you have fitted a five inch flue instead, if this is so then you will need a 4 to 5 adappter and you will loose alot of heat. The flue is deisgned for the fire to remove the products of combustion but not pull to hard that you loose all the heat. As its going in a house the flue will be alot longer and will give a far greater pull than they expected when installed on a boat.