cat choices

Djuwenda

Featured Posts

Another boat cat topic...

I am a CC liveaboard and have long wanted to get a cat.

I am looking to get a cat from a rescue place, and would rater get a year old (at least) cat rather than a young one as I work all day during the week.

The question I do have is, since I expect this cat to come accross an amount of wildlife on the towpath at night, would it make sense to go for for a big male?

or do cats not get too troubled by foxes?

I am looking to get a cat from a rescue place, and would rater get a year old (at least) cat rather than a young one as I work all day during the week.

The question I do have is, since I expect this cat to come accross an amount of wildlife on the towpath at night, would it make sense to go for for a big male?

We have a tom who was 'rescued' from somebody who couldn't take him with him into his care home. We don't live aboard, however he often spends many days away from home and turns up looking as well groomed and fed as when he left.

Based on this I would say if we lived aboard with him we would be highly likely to lose him so if it was me choosing I would go female.

ed to add picture of the 'wanderer'

IMG_0124.jpg

Edited by MJG

There are many fox's and badgers in my area, had two cats one of which was a very small female. Never had any trouble with the wildlife but was killed by a car last month, so IMO no problem, as long as you are not close to a busy road!

You might experience problems with rescue centres - they seem to get very fussy if you tell them you live on a boat.

I think a TOM would wander more - a neutered queen would probably make more sense.

Our queen is tiny (much smaller than her brother) but she has pulled two squirrels home, which were probably the same size as her.

I worry about foxes, but to be honest, if foxes really want to fight, they could probably sort out even big Toms.

TBH I think female cats are a lot brighter than the males and wouldn't tackle a fox.

You might experience problems with rescue centres - they seem to get very fussy if you tell them you live on a boat.

if thats their way of looking at it, then stuff'em. This isnt an impulse thing, I am not going paying money for a cute kitten.

My intention is to grab a cat thats already unwanted, and I will try within reason to take one that they might struggle to re-home otherwise.

Having just done some "research" on youtube, it seems like cats will take foxes on.

Seconded, a neutered queen would be best for your needs.

But remember cats are unique individuals, each and everyone have their own personalities. When you go and see prospective pets, try and ignore the colours etc.

Look for the cat that comes up to you.

Try and avoid appealing looking cats that shy away, or hide in the corner.

Seconded, a neutered queen would be best for your needs.

But remember cats are unique individuals, each and everyone have their own personalities. When you go and see prospective pets, try and ignore the colours etc.

Look for the cat that comes up to you.

Try and avoid appealing looking cats that shy away, or hide in the corner.

remember also - dogs have owners, cats have staff...

I'm just warning you what to expect - I'm not saying all do, but I recall quite a few CWDF members have reported back on this in the past.

Re foxes - YT seems to have examples of both cat/foxes getting on and not getting on - depends on cat and circumstances I suppose.

Personally, if you want to worry, I would be more inclined to worry about the cat getting lost (if you are cruising about), drowned or run over. The last one is a big problem and they often come home when they want to, so don't go making rigid sailing times in the morning.

I suppose the question you have to ask is, is it anymore a problem than having a cat when living in a house in the country ?

if thats their way of looking at it, then stuff'em. This isnt an impulse thing, I am not going paying money for a cute kitten.

My intention is to grab a cat thats already unwanted, and I will try within reason to take one that they might struggle to re-home otherwise.

Having just done some "research" on youtube, it seems like cats will take foxes on.

With regards to the cat not making cruising time... I think thats probably less of a problem as a liveaboard. I rarely move a big distance, tend to short hops every other week instead.

I intend to buy a few whistles and get the cat used to the whistle annoucing his food.

With regards to drowning, I have bought some cheap rugs which I will attach to either end of the boat so the cat has something to claw his way back into the boat. If the feline appears to be extra clumsy, I might give up mooring on piling and see how we go.

And the last point... there is sod all I can do about the risk inherent to roads. Cats wander about and there is no way I can avoid the proximity of roads in my normal cruising patterns.

I do have to get to work every morning and thats all there is to it. I guess the risk is the same for house dwellers and boaters in this respect.

At least I dont normally moor near fast A roads, but more in small lanes when and where I can.

How long are you supposed to keep them inside your home before you can let them out?

Guest wanted

At first the rspca were a little funny about letting us have a cat on the boat but they were happy when they did the visit. I have seen sinbad chase fox's. We have had to keep him in at dusk in the summer as he brings in bats! He has learnt to swim and can drag himself out using a fender. He returns to the sound of a bell and is currently loving the fact that I have lit the burner. (I think you'll find that you'll have to pay something towards the cost of the innoculations) good luck.

Eta, we kept him in for about 3 weeks. When we let him out for the first time we put some butter on his paws, the idea being that he would associate the boat roof as a nice place. That tip came from my gran so could well be bollocks!

Edited by wanted

Got 2 kittens from the local Cat Protection people back in May - living on a boat was no problem. Getting an older cat from a shelter may be problematic due to the cat's history of care (or lack of). I got 2 sisters from the same litter. An older cat might cope better on its own, but I got 2 kittens to keep each other company while I'm at work. Initial jabs and neutering was included in the fee I paid for the cats.

I'm thinking about doing the same; though live in a Marina and only do a few weeks cruising per year. The only thing that has put me off is the prospect of cutting a cat flap into my doors to give it freedom of movement when I'm at work etc. Hmmm...

If you get a Tom get it neutered early; it might stop him fighting.

My queen's the best hunter of the two. She's also been beaten up by wildlife; tom's been beaten up by everything else...

Both go walkabout on occasion (last time it was the queen whoo I had to go back for, having taken it for granted she'd be in when I started out as the tom was) toms moreso.

Both can swim although they don't care to admit it.

If you are worried about Foxes, keep your cat in at night, the small rodents and birds will benefit as well.

IIRC I think Mr Annonymous Bard has recently taken in a(nother) unplanned cat which which he might part with. Give him a PM.

Absolutely right, if it was a week or so ago I would happily have given a good home a consideration but now we've gone through the worst and all three are beginning to settle down with each other I have to confess to having become attached to them.

Even if they are the size of bloody panthers and knock back three full size tins of snap a day... even my neighbour came round to ask what the hell they were after witnessing them clearing his six foot fence in one!

Mr Watson was himself I believe quite shocked after I had emailed him a picture of one of them earlier today.

It's a shame really as they would make ideal boat cats in that if you ever needed a tow you could harness the pair up and they would drag the boat for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Arn't you required to keep your cats confined so they don't decimate what's left of your wildlife over there?Spotted a few fox cubs tonight playing on the road[bush track] It would need to be a big cat to take care of their mum.DSC048091.jpg

That's cute - a feral pest here, but a cute feral pest.

We keep our cat in at night to protect him from the local wildlife...

Pest here also Wiggins so won't post the next pic.One of those great big fluffy flat nosed moggies would be o.k. on a barge [my opinion]they just seem to like to lie around all day and not bother anything.I'm allergic to some cats so when we finally get barging it will have to be a goldfish or something else we can eat before we head back for the Aus. summer.

• 1 month later...

nearly 2 months on...

Done.

The Cat (I called him Jesus) was the RSPCA coventry's longest staying guest. Pure black, 4 year old male. He is a bit fat and has fangs, but a lovely personnality :)

The RSPCA people did raise an eyebrow at the fact I live on a boat. The guy who did the visit thought it was great and saw no issue with it whatsoever.

He is settling in very well, although since his main focuses in life amount to eating and sleeping and being fussed, I reckon he could settle pretty much anywhere.

nearly 2 months on...

Done.

The Cat (I called him Jesus) was the RSPCA coventry's longest staying guest. Pure black, 4 year old male. He is a bit fat and has fangs, but a lovely personnality :)

The RSPCA people did raise an eyebrow at the fact I live on a boat. The guy who did the visit thought it was great and saw no issue with it whatsoever.

He is settling in very well, although since his main focuses in life amount to eating and sleeping and being fussed, I reckon he could settle pretty much anywhere.

Congratulations. That's great news.

Judging by the last paragraph he's landed squarely on all 4 paws.

When we let him out for the first time we put some butter on his paws, the idea being that he would associate the boat roof as a nice place. That tip came from my gran so could well be bollocks!

I think the idea is that if you put butter on a cat's paws the cat will lick it off and associate the place with home, since a cat will clean and groom itself at home.

John