opinions on lister hr2

Taslim

Featured Posts

I am looking at a boat with a Lister HR2 engine & Lister(?) mechanical type gearbox. I like the dumper truck engine much so ask if there is anything about this lump that I should "be aware of". Strengths & weaknesses.

taslim

They're generally bomb proof but of course they are air cooled so no possibility of getting any domestic hot water from one.

Casp'

Tanks' for reply. I was thinking it might be possible to fit a heat exchanger on the exhaust. Too silly?

Tanks' for reply. I was thinking it might be possible to fit a heat exchanger on the exhaust. Too silly?

It has been done and my Dad did it on his SL2 but there's alot of trial and error regarding the size of the water tank around the exhaust. His produces warm water after a long cruise but never hot water. He's already tried 2 sizes but as it's a pain to change he's sticking with that.

Casp'

if you like standing on top of a noisy dumper truck fine but I would go for water cooled for a quiet life and 4pot is quieter still but not the plug plug of my lister fr. I had a HA as a monster genney and got rid because of the noise.

Edited by The Bagdad Boatman (waits)

They're generally bomb proof but of course they are air cooled so no possibility of getting any domestic hot water from one.

Casp'

I saw an air cooled Lister at Gloucester lock once with an oil cooler to heat the water, don't know how good it was.

far too much to detail...there is my thread running on and off though....hot start problems with HR2...I just can't bring myself to detail it all again or I will cry!

Ally.

Opps! Sorry to salt a wound.. I had picked up on 'hot start problems' & am following it. I hope all will be resolved soon.

The dumper truck engine I am looking at seems to behave but the gearbox seems crude. 'Mbee not a bad thing?

taslim.

Ally.

Opps! Sorry to salt a wound.. I had picked up on 'hot start problems' & am following it. I hope all will be resolved soon.

The dumper truck engine I am looking at seems to behave but the gearbox seems crude. 'Mbee not a bad thing?

taslim.

I don't know of any dumpers which used Lister HR engines.

Usually the substantially smaller LD/LR/SR etc.

The Lister/Blackstone gearbox, if that's what you're talking about, is a good box but none of them is new any more.

Tim