What curtain poles have you got?

Featured Posts

I've just changed all my curtain tracks for Ikea cheapo poles in black finish. They've got the cheapest finials and have worked out at £3.50 each rail (I needed 12 hence the need for cheap!). The brackets were intially too deep but I've cut them back considerably and re-formed and drilled the holes. Worked like a charm if a little rustic. I started to look out for stair rods too but found they were too narrow as mine needed to be 42" wide and a little too expensive too at £15 each locally (that's the Bath price......).

I've made my curtains from Ikea curtains too as I found that it was the cheapest way to buy the material. The curtains are 3m long and 1.45m wide (that's 10' by 54' for us imperial folk) and there are two in each packet. Cut up and re-headed it's made 12 pairs of curtains for £46. Total cost came to £88 in total which I think is a bit of a bargain if not quite free!

Jill

Edited by wrigglefingers

I've just changed all my curtain tracks for Ikea cheapo poles in black finish. They've got the cheapest finials and have worked out at £3.50 each rail (I needed 12 hence the need for cheap!). The brackets were intially too deep but I've cut them back considerably and re-formed and drilled the holes. Worked like a charm if a little rustic. I started to look out for stair rods too but found they were too narrow as mine needed to be 42" wide and a little too expensive too at £15 each locally (that's the Bath price......).

I've made my curtains from Ikea curtains too as I found that it was the cheapest way to buy the material. The curtains are 3m long and 1.45m wide (that's 10' by 54' for us imperial folk) and there are two in each packet. Cut up and re-headed it's made 12 pairs of curtains for £46. Total cost came to £88 in total which I think is a bit of a bargain if not quite free!

Jill

My wife did the same with Argos curtains-much cheaper than buying material, and the douvet covers/pillowcases are matching. We got brass poles from Midland Chandlers.

Jill

Sounds interesting.... any photos?

M.C at Penkridge had their usual vast stock yesterday.Whent past Argos in Long Eaton and they had curtain poles in the window as a sale item.

I used "cafe rods" from Wilko ( wilkinsons). perfect narrow boat sized and brass coloured. They dont last as long as real brass of course, and do tarnish after about 3 years. But then , they cost a fraction of the price.

Rose

hi, can any one tell me where to get polished brass curtain poles from with finials ,i,m cant find any one who sells them .Google brings up domestic ones but nothing suitable for a narrow boat.what do you guys use ?

thanks

r s s

I searched for ages for commercially manufactured brass rails with finials, and even went through several Trade catalogues in our local Furnishing Ironmongers (yes we still have one of those) but came to the conclusion that they are no longer available. In the end I settled for Brass rods with end posts. I buy the rods from the local Non Ferrous metals stockist in the lengths I want them and polish and laquer them myself, much cheaper than paying Chanlery prices but I still have to buy the end posts from them.