Vetus 41 Engine - What is it?

Richard10002

Featured Posts

The boat we hope to buy is described by the broker as having a Vetus 41 engine, but I cannot find any reference to this exact model anywhere here, or by googling.

I'm wondering if it is likely to be a Vetus 4.15 or one of the other variants of the Vetus 4.

It may seem a bit rash to have offered for a boat without all the specifics, but we are here we are. I'm going to have a closer look at all the things I gave scant attention to on Friday, si I'll get myself up to date then. Might be able to speak with the surveyor after the survey aswell. Exciting times!,

Wanted to start looking for oil and fuel filters, alternator and cam belts, impellers etc.. to put together a spares list and source them. I'd like to change what I can before our trip, and hv a couple of spares of each to be on the safe side.

The boat we hope to buy is described by the broker as having a Vetus 41 engine, but I cannot find any reference to this exact model anywhere here, or by googling.

I'm wondering if it is likely to be a Vetus 4.15 or one of the other variants of the Vetus 4.

It may seem a bit rash to have offered for a boat without all the specifics, but we are here we are. I'm going to have a closer look at all the things I gave scant attention to on Friday, si I'll get myself up to date then. Might be able to speak with the surveyor after the survey aswell. Exciting times!,

Wanted to start looking for oil and fuel filters, alternator and cam belts, impellers etc.. to put together a spares list and source them. I'd like to change what I can before our trip, and hv a couple of spares of each to be on the safe side.

Vetus 41 is a bit of a mystery.

It could be a 4.15 or a 4.17 with the last digit missed off, I suppose.

If its more than about 5 years old, most likely a 4.15, because it wasn't until about 2005/2006 that the fashion for fitting the 4.17 in 58' boats started (the 4.15 is quite man enough for the job, but once on builder started offering the bigger engine, they all followed suit).

The other alternative is that it is the HP rating of the engine, which wouldn't be quite right, because Vetus don't do a 41HP engine. The 4.17 is 42HP and the 4.15 is 33HP.

In any case the two units are pretty much identical, and you shouldn't worry over much which you have. The model number is on the rocker cover.

Filters are identical for both units. Fuel filter is every 500 hours, Oil filter every 100 hours, so get a spare oil filter, but if you are like me, you'll lose the spare fuel filter before you use it.

No cam belts (it is an OHV engine, with very traditional tappets).

Alternator belt is a 13mm A-section belt 995 (not a common size, but a 1000 will fit)

Your "presents to self" list for your new engine;

1) Steel rear engine legs. If these haven't already been fitted, and you still have the original aluminium castings, buy these from Kings Lock Chandlery, and fit them immediately. Saves much grief (cost around £40)

2) Spare R&D coupling (around £70)

3) Spare drive plate (about £80) R&D 22B37.

4) Spare split charge relay to replace the Durite one fitted (Allbright relay, £25)

Before you set off, check the engine mounts are tight, using a 25 mm spanner on the BOTTOM nut (always wind the bottom nut up, never tighten the top nut down), and a 13 mm on the flat at the top of the post, and the 8 bolts on the R&D coupling (17mm)

My guess is a typo. Probably 415 or 417 Mitsubishi based. Wasn't there an earlier 414?

I agree BTW that the 415 easily pushes our 57ft. In fact it has easily moved two 57ft boats on more than one occasion with ease. We were offered a 417 upgrade but I was too mean to pay the extra.

Thanks for the reminder re.the rear legs, I need to order some :)

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the comprehensive list!

Should make life simpler if it is a 4.15, (it's a 2001 boat, so unlikely to be the later model, unless it's been replaced).

The 4.17 was available earlier, but it was an optional extra, at extra cost. Then suddenly everybody decided that 57' boats needed a 4.17.

self2381454841.jpg

Is that my picture of my broken mount?

Buggered if I can find it anywhere on this PC

Thanks for the comprehensive list!

Should make life simpler if it is a 4.15, (it's a 2001 boat, so unlikely to be the later model, unless it's been replaced).

I would add one thing to Dave's excellent list: There is a little fuel filter in the back of the fuel pump that often gets missed when engine has been serviced. I always keep a spare one.

The 4.17 was available earlier, but it was an optional extra, at extra cost. Then suddenly everybody decided that 57' boats needed a 4.17.

Is that my picture of my broken mount?

Buggered if I can find it anywhere on this PC

Don't think so but somebody did give it to me, Charles123 IIRC.

Turns out it's a 4.14

Surveyor said it looked fine, just needed a service and possibly the injectors cleaned.

It's ours now so I can have a close look tomorrow... Exciting stuff!

In presume the parts etc. are different to the 4.15/4.17 - Dave?

Thanks to all for the info so far

Richard

Manual here:

http://www.vetusweb....r03%2009-99.pdf

From memory I think the base engine is a Mitsubishi S4L like the 415/417 series, but the fuel pump and marinisation equipment look different. My friend had a 414 for many years which was, quote "A cracking f*****g engine." He is a perfectionist so it must have been good.

Edit: strange it won't open the link now? I can email you the manual as a PDF should you wish.

Edited by Guest