barrus shire anode.

pquinn

Featured Posts

I've never noticed one on mine.

me neither,thats why i was asking.a bigger genius than me reckoned there should be one.while i am at it, i may as well ask where the drain plug for the coolant is on this engine.as i said in another post today,i am new to this and just trying to learn.

me neither,thats why i was asking.a bigger genius than me reckoned there should be one.while i am at it, i may as well ask where the drain plug for the coolant is on this engine.as i said in another post today,i am new to this and just trying to learn.

Hi

I have a Barrus 45

I have never heard of a engine anode - could he be pulling your leg?

I would take of the bottom hose to the skin tank but beware you will have gallons on water in the skin tank.

Why do you feel the need to do this?

Alex

Edited by steelaway

Hi

I have a Barrus 45

I have never heard of a engine anode - could he pulling your leg?

I would take of the bottom hose to the skin tank but beware you will have gallons on water in skin tank.

Why do you feel the need to this?

Alex

i need to change the coolant.i think i understand the procedure now.he was allso pulling my wallet and that is why it is time to learn a few things about engines myself.

i need to change the coolant.i think i understand the procedure now.he was allso pulling my wallet and that is why it is time to learn a few things about engines myself.

In 6 years I have never changed the coolant - I just keep topping it up with a 33% mix.

It would be much more important to learn how to change the oil & filter - which is pig to remove and the diesel filters. Also change the air filter when it is at all discoloured.

All the filter can be bought from Unipart. Check the belts for cracking, especially the water pump belt. Belts also from Unipart

Alex

In 6 years I have never changed the coolant - I just keep topping it up with a 33% mix.

It would be much more important to learn how to change the oil & filter - which is pig to remove and the diesel filters. Also change the air filter when it is at all discoloured.

All the filter can be bought from Unipart. Check the belts for cracking, especially the water pump belt. Belts also from Unipart

Alex

For the information of others.

Probably the most important job of the antifreeze is to prevent internal corrosion, especially on engines with aluminium parts. It is the corrosion inhibitors in antifreeze that get "used up" and this is what gives antifreeze its "life" typically 2 years but increasingly 5 years or longer depending upon type and how much you pay. Personally I would expect the manufacturers to factor a good safety margin into the life so by extending it a year may not do much harm. However I cannot recommend this.

It is also the corrosion inhibitors that drop out of a mixture of the red and blue antifreezes hence the advice not to mix antifreeze types.

AS Gibbo said it is usually raw water cooled engines and the raw water part of heat exchanger engines (made by traditional marinisers) that have anodes in the cooling system but if I did not know for certain an engine did not have an anode I would always advise the owner to check. Even with fresh (skin tank) cooling and proper antifreeze use the anode on the Bukh is eaten away in three years or so.

Alex

Alex (Steelaway), do you have the Unipart filter numbers for the Shire 45? I'm struggling to find a pattern air filter for this engine.

Ian

Alex (Steelaway), do you have the Unipart filter numbers for the Shire 45? I'm struggling to find a pattern air filter for this engine.

Ian

Hi Ian

Oil filter is UGC- GFE 489

Primary fuel filter is UGC- GFE 5370 (Second fuel filter I can only get from Barrus)

Air filter is CA 9591

One belt is a GV20950 The other is 646MC but the belt has a number relating to length and section written on it

Hope this helps

Alex

Hi Ian

Oil filter is UGC- GFE 489

Primary fuel filter is UGC- GFE 5370 (Second fuel filter I can only get from Barrus)

Air filter is CA 9591

One belt is a GV20950 The other is 646MC but the belt has a number relating to length and section written on it

Hope this helps

Alex

Thanks for that Alex, most helpful.

Ian