10 years out of water would you buy it?

Darren72

Featured Posts

We have looked at a boat today and it was built by the seller as a project and has been out of the water all its life, except for its little trip to its new hard standing. Its new Vetus engine has only 35 hrs on it. Everything inside is unused. 240 electrics fitted but no inverter fitted as yet. Would the engine be still as good as new or would it need to be checked. Surely things would cease up if not used. Its been for sale at Swanley for 12 months!!

http://www.swanleybrokerage.com/boats/gerrysboat.pdf

We have looked at a boat today and it was built by the seller as a project and has been out of the water all its life, except for its little trip to its new hard standing. Its new Vetus engine has only 35 hrs on it. Everything inside is unused. 240 electrics fitted but no inverter fitted as yet. Would the engine be still as good as new or would it need to be checked. Surely things would cease up if not used. Its been for sale at Swanley for 12 months!!

http://www.swanleybrokerage.com/boats/gerrysboat.pdf

When was the engine last run??

"10 years out of water would you buy it? "

Yes, provided the price was right. How much would you pay for it if it was in the water and everything could be tested/demonstrated? I'd be inclined to take this figure and be prepared to pay about two thirds of it. There are potentially a LOT of problems.

Given their failure to sell it (no doubt for the same reasons you are doubtful) ask yourself why they don't launch it and sell it in full running order. I suggest they know something that you don't.

HTH,

Mike

pass, within the last 12 month i think, when it arrived at the marina.

Engine should be fine then - suggest you change the oil and filters (fuel and oil) if you buy, oh and check anti-freeze concentration.

Edited by MJG

"10 years out of water would you buy it? "

Yes, provided the price was right. How much would you pay for it if it was in the water and everything could be tested/demonstrated? I'd be inclined to take this figure and be prepared to pay about two thirds of it. There are potentially a LOT of problems.

Given their failure to sell it (no doubt for the same reasons you are doubtful) ask yourself why they don't launch it and sell it in full running order. I suggest they know something that you don't.

HTH,

Mike

My thoughts exactly!

Lots of questions there for me......

1) It looks like its in water in the pictures, despite your comments.

2) Why should a boat that has never been in the water have a Boat Safety expiring July 2013, (which implies it was certified July 2009). Why bother if you don't then put it in water.

3) I'm no expert on either the RCD or CIN or HIN numbers, but it says "not applicable" to both. Someone will know, but if this is a 2001 boat, I'm not sure it truly is "not applicable". You need to check the paperwork complies with what a boat of that age must legally have.

Finally.....

If those are Josher bows, then I'm Brad Pitt.

3) I'm no expert on either the RCD or CIN or HIN numbers, but it says "not applicable" to both. Someone will know, but if this is a 2001 boat, I'm not sure it truly is "not applicable". You need to check the paperwork complies with what a boat of that age must legally have.

DIY build not sold within 5 years???

DIY build not sold within 5 years???

Dunno,

If the boat has never been in water, (well clearly it has from the pics!), and perhaps never licensed, when does it count as having become a completed self-build boat ?

Is it from the date the shell was delivered to some hard-standing, or does it relate to a date at which the boat became "complete", in some way?

If that date were (for example) when the 2009 BSS were done, it has not been "complete" 5 years.

As I freely admitted, I don't know about the RCD, but if it is claimed to exempt, you need to be completely certain that is true.

I'd say that alone should result in a lower purchase price, as if you ever want to sell it on, you'll be trying to sell a boat that was never RCD certified at a time most others were expected to be. Given a choice between one that wasn't and one that was, with all other things equal, a buyer might opt for the latter.

Dunno,

If the boat has never been in water, (well clearly it has from the pics!), and perhaps never licensed, when does it count as having become a completed self-build boat ?

Is it from the date the shell was delivered to some hard-standing, or does it relate to a date at which the boat became "complete", in some way?

If that date were (for example) when the 2009 BSS were done, it has not been "complete" 5 years.

As I freely admitted, I don't know about the RCD, but if it is claimed to exempt, you need to be completely certain that is true.

I'd say that alone should result in a lower purchase price, as if you ever want to sell it on, you'll be trying to sell a boat that was never RCD certified at a time most others were expected to be. Given a choice between one that wasn't and one that was, with all other things equal, a buyer might opt for the latter.

It's the date that the hull was completed that is the key date for RCD. Not quite clear why it hasn't got a HIN, but if the owner was going to rely on the 5 year rule then the HIN would not be required (?) .

The paintwork doesn't look very good (no comment about the colour...), but I'd be concerned that domestic paint had been used over a badly primed / not shotblasted topside.

My boat sat in my garden for ten years before I finished it; at least I did give it regular coats of Comastic and made sure there was no grass between the railway sleepers.

A boat does need to comply with the RCD if it is not one of the exclusions below and if:-

It is a home built boat placed on the market within five years of completion

Two lines from this document:(page three) http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/technical/Web%20Documents/RCD%20Documents/1%20RCD%20Compliance%20Guide.pdf

It is a large PDF document.

I read this as when the boat is completed not when the hull is completed.

The world is not short of boats for sale.

Too many strange things about this boat it seems to me.

Move on.

My thoughts exactly

One thing to check would be the baseplate, if it were never painted then sitting on land can cause rusting where steel is left bare

The OP does clearly state 'except for a trip to it's new hard standing' which to me would infere it went by water, hence the 35 hours run.

But again I agree with the concensus that there are plenty of boats around without the question marks this one seems to raise.

Why would you bother with the expense of craning it back on to a hard standing after only 35 hours in the water?

duztee.