Best way of getting up the Wigan flight

DeanS

Featured Posts

Hi all. Planning on going up the Wigan flight in Sept. Had a look on Google Earth. It looks GREAT!!!

What's the best way of setting locks above the flight so you can leave one lock and move straight into the next lock. Emptying a higher lock before you've drained the pound a bit, is apparently bad because you lose water on the overflow wash. So if I do the first lock, the upper pound should need a bit of water, and draining the 2nd lock into it, will save water. Can I just keep doing that all the way up....and is it possible to send someone 3-4 locks ahead to get them ready in advance....

We did something similar coming down the Penines because we were running out of time to get to the BW cutoff at 4pm, and it made a huge difference in time.

Advice?

Do we need to book going up the Wigan?

Will it help having 3 windlasses...we have 2...and a crew of 3 able men...and I can handle the bottom locks and send them ahead.

With a crew of 3, I would be looking to have 1 setting ahead and opening, 1 running the boat and 1 working the current lock.

Going uphill, provided you start filling the lower lock before the crew member setting ahead starts emptying the lock above. you should waste no water over the by-washes.

You dont need to book Wigan - you can work the flight witout assistance from BW - but, at one time, you could book "assistance" from BW. I don't have the details for that now but I'm sure somebody with more recent experience of the flight will be along soon.

Edited by Paul Evans

With a crew of 3, I would be looking to have 1 setting ahead and opening, 1 running the boat and 1 working the current lock.

Going uphill, provided you start filling the lower lock before the crew member setting ahead starts emptying the lock above. you should waste no water over the by-washes.

You dont need to book Wigan - you can work the flight witout assistance from BW - but, at one time, you could book "assistance" from BW. I don't have the details for that now but I'm sure somebody with more recent experience of the flight will be along soon.

Wot he said. I think you can still book an assisted passage, although we never have. It is a cracking flight; enjoy. Just watch the leaking rear gates don't soak you, and I mean SOAK YOU! :)

Edited by Guest

We have a plan. We're going to open all the gates, and then just go really fast...uphill. :)

Let us know how you go on :P

We have a plan. We're going to open all the gates, and then just go really fast...uphill. :)

Let us know how you go on :P

Hi all. Planning on going up the Wigan flight in Sept. Had a look on Google Earth. It looks GREAT!!!

Dean,

We did this flight last week and it is indeed a great experience.

My tips -

- Hook up with another boat if you can.

- If setting off as soon as they are open set around 2 or 3 locks ahead around half way you may be lucky and meet another boat(s) coming down meaning the locks will be set for you.

- Rest part way up, it is very hard work - I can't recall the lock numbers but the boat we travelled up with another boat that knew where there were some mooring rings to help us brew a cuppa.

- Get ready for a range of different ways of opening gates and paddles, there is quite a a lot of ways of doing it.

- allow a day.

Others will be along shortly with their thoughts.

Dean,

We did this flight last week and it is indeed a great experience.

My tips -

- Hook up with another boat if you can.

- If setting off as soon as they are open set around 2 or 3 locks ahead around half way you may be lucky and meet another boat(s) coming down meaning the locks will be set for you.

- Rest part way up, it is very hard work - I can't recall the lock numbers but the boat we travelled up with another boat that knew where there were some mooring rings to help us brew a cuppa.

- Get ready for a range of different ways of opening gates and paddles, there is quite a a lot of ways of doing it.

- allow a day.

Others will be along shortly with their thoughts.

Yes two (narrow)boats make it dead easy, boats behave better in locks etc. We breasted them up last time which releases a steerer and makes it a doddle. Rose Bridge is possibly where you tied up for a brew?

I agree no two locks are the same.

Edited by Guest

If you did that coming down it would be like a 'log flume' :lol:

Ann

I thought you were going South for the winter, like the birds do! :lol:

Change of plan yet again. Final destination for winter will be north :) But next year Feb, we'll try and set off early and head as far south as quickly as possible, and spend most of the year down that end....this year will see us going back around via Skipton...on the L/L.

To be honest, we only have to get north by mid-Oct, ...a little worried the ice arrives early...so we intend to take it slow, chop lots of wood...

Rose Bridge is possibly where you tied up for a brew?

The only place you can stop on the flight is between locks 78 and 77, just above Rose Bridge. It's not quite half way though if you're going up, being 8 locks up from the Leigh branch junction, leaving 13 to go. Alternatively, if it's as quiet as it usually is you can probably just stop in a lock for a brew. Going up with another boat will usually make the flight easier, although I have been up Wigan with boats that made it considerably harder!

What's the best way of setting locks above the flight so you can leave one lock and move straight into the next lock.

In my first year of boating this seemed to be a matter for concern and planning.

Now I just deal with locks when I get to them - I may be slower but what does that matter.

Going up the Bosley locks recently several other boats were very helpful but the result was I went up too quickly and didn't get a chance to look around.

The only place you can stop on the flight is between locks 78 and 77, just above Rose Bridge. It's not quite half way though if you're going up, being 8 locks up from the Leigh branch junction, leaving 13 to go. Alternatively, if it's as quiet as it usually is you can probably just stop in a lock for a brew. Going up with another boat will usually make the flight easier, although I have been up Wigan with boats that made it considerably harder!

Well yes "usually" is the right word! We got paired up with a couple once who were younger than us, yet never got out of their bloody boat to help, claiming they didn't like locks. Then to top it all the geezer told my missus that she was not opening the gates properly :angry:

Well yes "usually" is the right word! We got paired up with a couple once who were younger than us, yet never got out of their bloody boat to help, claiming they didn't like locks. Then to top it all the geezer told my missus that she was not opening the gates properly :angry:

To be honest, I'd prefer doing it on our own... but coming down from the Pennines, we met a guy called Rob, 20yrs in his boat...a single piston Gartner (Gardner..however you spell it) engine...and a boat dog...that would watch his every move...was great to watch.....he was a pleasure....I think old boaters are sooo chilled out...compared to new boaters who are still learning the ropes. Mind you...lol...he did tell us that he asked for some help at a pub in Todmorden to pull his boat in closer, and they all ended up in the water....so I guess old boaters still cant hold their beer :) . When we realised we werent doing great on time down to Manchester, he looked at our boat, looked at my crew, and said.....Right....send your teenager down to every lock on a bike....and get them set for us.....:)

Edited by DeanS

Hi, not sure youll be able to book a passage from BW anymore, even if youre single handed...the BW staff have been drastically reduced and are under instructions to concentrate on keeping the water levels good and the culverts clear....

mind you when I tried to come up the flight last wedsnesday am, some idiot had drained the bottom pound from the lock outside the lock keepers cottage all the way down to the poolstock locks on the leigh branch at 2am , I would estimate about half a mile of water....perhaps it would have been a good idea for BW to padlock the paddle mechanism overnight if they are under instructions to save water.....obviously some local scrote has a windlass and vandal key....it took all day to refill and then scrape up the flight the next day...

Allways try and double up when going through the flight,it saves water and makes life easier.. allow about 4-5 hours, have a break about 8 locks in to recharge the batteries ...and keep going...you'll get there eventually!

Good luck

El G

Hi, not sure youll be able to book a passage from BW anymore, even if youre single handed...the BW staff have been drastically reduced and are under instructions to concentrate on keeping the water levels good and the culverts clear....

mind you when I tried to come up the flight last wedsnesday am, some idiot had drained the bottom pound from the lock outside the lock keepers cottage all the way down to the poolstock locks on the leigh branch at 2am , I would estimate about half a mile of water....perhaps it would have been a good idea for BW to padlock the paddle mechanism overnight if they are under instructions to save water.....obviously some local scrote has a windlass and vandal key....it took all day to refill and then scrape up the flight the next day...

Allways try and double up when going through the flight,it saves water and makes life easier.. allow about 4-5 hours, have a break about 8 locks in to recharge the batteries ...and keep going...you'll get there eventually!

Good luck

El G

All the kids have 'em round there! A kid once showed me an anti vandal key that he had made. Not going to put the instructions on here, but the kit is available in many DIY/hardware shops for buttons. Similarly paddles are a doddle.