Calcutt to Lechlade

john6767

Featured Posts

Well after much deliberation about if we should go down theSouth Oxford or not, we finally decided that we would risk it. So we are on our way from Calcutt down toOxford and then hopefully on to Lechlade.

We left home at 7:30am, got to the boat at 8:15am, loaded upand went up the first 2 of the Calcutt locks and filled up with diesel. Then on to Napton to get to the top 2 locks inside the opening window of 10am to 2pm. The Napton flight was very quiet, so I guess the restriction has put lots of people off going this way. We exited the top lock at 1pm.

Not really any issues with water levels so far. One observation; the bottom gates on the toplock leak very badly, which can't be helping matters.

A very pleasant cruise in the baking sun to Fenny Compton, followed by a bite to eat and a couple of drinks at the Wharf Inn.

Now about a mile above the Clayton flight, ready to descend in the opening window in the morning.

It's just started raining..... every bit helps.

Edited by john6767

Well after much deliberation about if we should go down theSouth Oxford or not, we finally decided that we would risk it. So we are on our way from Calcutt down toOxford and then hopefully on to Lechlade.

We left home at 7:30am, got to the boat at 8:15am, loaded upand went up the first 2 of the Calcutt locks and filled up with diesel. Then on to Napton to get to the top 2 locks inside the opening window of 10am to 2pm. The Napton flight was very quiet, so I guess the restriction has put lots of people off going this way. We exited the top lock at 1pm.

Not really any issues with water levels so far. One observation; the bottom gates on the toplock leak very badly, which can't be helping matters.

A very pleasant cruise in the baking sun to Fenny Compton, followed by a bite to eat and a couple of drinks at the Wharf Inn.

Now about a mile above the Clayton flight, ready to descend in the opening window in the morning.

You are out for more than a week, aren't you?

Good to hear. Maybe I will change back to my original plan to go down on to the Thames after all. Will get to Napton early next week and then make a decision

Good to hear. Maybe I will change back to my original plan to go down on to the Thames after all. Will get to Napton early next week and then make a decision

There was so much rain yesterday, the M25 resembled the River Thames,took me 4hrs from SW London to Leicester(in car), and there's more storms coming late weekend/monday.

The east midlands is still short of serious raifall, but much of the rest has had some improvement in levels and supplies.

Time to move off I think, first moving boat just passed up so that would put us number 6 for the locks, although by now hopefully a few have already descended. Word is that they open the locks early usually at around 9:30.

Not great progress yesterday, but then we are on holiday rolleyes.gif.

The passage through the Claydon flight was efficient, with a one up one down policy orchestrated by BW. The queue to come up was much greater, the remnants for the festival I guess.

Chatting to the BW guy while we waited. The restrictions have dropped the lock movements for the summit pound from 600 per week to 400, primarily due to there being no hire boats. It certainly is very quiet. According to the BW guy the water for the summit is mostly coming from back pumping at Napton with only trickle being taken from the reservoir. Before the restrictions the summit pound was down about a foot, now it it dropping about an inch during the 4 hours the locks are open, and the over the next 20 hours the back pumping at Napton is restoring it. On that basis the current situation is sustainable, in his opinion.

Disclaimer: only passing on what the BW guy on the ground told me.

On through Cropredy (wish I could pronounce it), used the services there. Just south the heavens opened, so pulled over and stopped, again we are on holiday. Decided to have lunch, and the end result being to was 3pm before we moved off again.

Stopped in the centre of Banbury, just before the lift bridge which is where we still are now.

Despite have lived in the midlands for 30 year I have never been to the centre of Banbury; been to the rugby club many times though. Went looking for a takeaway, one thing the rather tickled me, a new "chain type" pub in the centre on Banbury called "The Grand Union", complete with narrowrboat pub sign. I think they got a bit lost.

Wife wants to go and find Banbury cross before we leave this morning, although according to Nicholsons it's a replica.

Time for an update.

Well found Banbury "cross", in the middle of a busy roundabout. There was a market on in Banbury so bought some nice beer and cider in 2 litre "milk" cartons.

Moved off and a very pleasant, but really too hot, trip as far as Lower Hayford.

I found it interesting the way that the locks change bellow Banbury, all singles, ie not in flights, and typically quite deep. Also with single bottom gates. To me that seems to say they were built with no concern for water usage, it that right? For example 2 off 6ft deep locks would make better use of water than one 12ft one, and the use of single bottom gates means the lock it 3ft longer than one with double bottom gates.

From Lower Hayford down the last of the locks towards Oxford.

Thrupp makes a nice setting, and provides very good services, it is the full set there, water/toilet/rubbish.

The electric lift bridge at Thrupp is easy to operate, and has a control box on each side, according to the notice to make it easier for single handed. Not sure how that really works though, the towpath crosses side there and it is not as though you can raise if from one side and then lower it from the other, or can you, ie BW key in both boxes?

The canal as it passes round Kidlington is not unpleasant, and down the last 2 locks to the junction with Dukes Cut. We took this route to the Thames as it basically gives a short cut when heading upstream on the Thames. Also been put off Oxford but the reported lack of mooring and the promised long lines of permanent moorings.

Dukes Cut has a very "no mans land" feeling, the lock it a real mess, the channel overgrown with trees and some very dubious looking boats moored there. At the end of Dukes Cut the EA sign, which I think it telling you that you need a licence is obscured buy undergrowth, this does very much feel like the back door to the "royal" river.

Once out onto the main channel things are different, nice and wide and very open views across the flood plain.

Very soon we get to Eynshan lock, and it was nice to see as we aporach the lock keeper opening the bottom gates for us and waving us straight in, this is the life I thought (more on that later). So being well researched we did what we believed was expected of us and used lines front and rear and cut the engine once the ropes were secure.

I announced to the lock keeper that we needed to sort out a license, to which his unexpected response was "you going on far?". That was going to be my next question I said, "anywhere to moor here?". The result being that he said we could moor above the lock, not bother with a license now (it was about 6:30pm) and get a license in the morning. A very reasonable approach I thought.

So a very pleasant sunny evening above Eynsham lock.

So Tuesday morning, and what a change in the whether. From baking (too) hot sunshine of the last few days, to heavy rain to dark grey skies.

At about 9:30 walked back to the lock, and sorted out the licence. As has been mention on here before they are generous on the sizing used for the area of the boat, 50ft narrowboat, equals 2m x 15m, which actually puts you a band lower on the licence (based on area) than if the accurate values were used.

By the time we pushed off, the rain had just about stopped, and the day was not really too bad, a couple of showers but is was actually quite pleasant not to be too hot.

I had promised my wife then the locks were all manned and so there was no work to do, and Eynsham had "proved" that. I had spoken too soon. Arrived at the next lock, not manned. So a quick learning curve, and we are operating the Thames lock ourselves, and I am in trouble, "you told me..... ".

Probably just a one off, surely in August the locks would be manned, but no not true as the next one and the one after that all are unmanned. The next is a manned one, and then back to unmanned again until the last 2 locks before Lechlade which were. So I make it 9 locks, 4 manned and 5 unmanned, not what I was expecting at all, but no big deal as there are very easy.

The other big shock is just how quiet it is, there are hardly any boats at all, and in most cases we were locking alone apart from the last 2 to Lechalde where we shared with a cruiser, the lock keeper saying that it was the first time today he had had 2 boats in the lock, and it was 6:00pm.

Arrived at Lechlade and moored on the field opposite the church, on the lock keepers recommendation, £4 a night, but they probably will not collect it. Probably about 10 boats here, but still lots of room. Interesting most are narrowboats.

Has a reasonable meal at the pub by the bridge, we have the dog with us so eat in the garden by the river.

Awoke to a very pleasant sunny morning, and they did collect the mooring fee, but it well worth it for such a good convenient spot. There is an EA 24hr mooring by the pub with no one on it if you want to save £4, but nicer in the field I think. One problem with the field is it has cows in it, and the dog things it is great, "snacks" everywhere (dog owners will understand), her breath stinks!

So plan for today it to look around a bit, and then go up to the head on navigation, and then back down part way to Eynsham.

Spent a fair time in Lechlade yesterday, very pleasant. With the sun shining the river was lively with the pub garden by the bridge full, and canoes and rowing boats on the river. The Cotswold Canals Trust were doing good business running a trip boat from the park on the opposite side of the river.

After a pub lunch and stocking up on supplies, late afternoon we set off upstream to the head on navigation at the roundhouse at Inglesham lock. After winding, I reversed the boat back under the trees to the entrance to the Cotstwold Canal, and felt able to proclaim we had made it!

Then to start retracing our steps back to Calcutt. Down the first 2 locks which were manned as they were when we came up. The third again was unmanned. Looking around Grafton lock, it seems stangly unkempt compared to the immaculate condition of the others.

Moored at Radcot, and visited the Swan for a quick drink. Like most of the pubs on the Thames they don't allow dogs inside, so we were relegated to the garden, and the whether was getting a bit threatening. We just got back to the boat when the heavens opened, lucky timing.

A very atmospheric monring, with the mist over the water and fields.

Off the river now, back on the Oxford canal at Thrupp. The canal seems very small!

Had a great run down the river yesterday, and all but one lock was manned, so not much work to do at all.

I have to say I have been very impressed with the upper Thames, it has been very quiet with few boats at all. Most of the moving boats were narrowboats, which I was not expecting. There are lots of nice moorings out in the country, if you want seclusion it is great.

The locks, are well maintained and easy to operate, and the lock keepers friendly and helpful, one even gave us some apples.

We decided to come back via Dukes Cut, the same way as we went on to the river, so the centre of Oxford will have to wait for another time. We plan to do down stream next time.

Had a nice meal at thew Jolly Boatman last night, it was a refreshing change that they let dogs in, so we were able to eat inside for a change.

It is raining now, so we have not moved off yet, but will do soon.

I saw Firefly last night by the JB (but you were obviously in having some grub) as I pottered up to the water point and back.

Glad you enjoyed the Thames. It's not that big scary river that a lot of NB'er think.

I think you need to play down the delights of the Thames up to Lechlade though. Everyone will go there!

We are still there by the Jolly Boatman! Can't get the motivation to move in the rain.

You are right about the Thames, it's rubbish, don't go there rolleyes.gif In reality its not big at all upstream from Oxford, no bigger than the Avon in many place; perhaps a little disappointed by that, but we will do downstream next time.

We were spoiled really as there was very little water flow, which made it easy. According to my GPS "speedo" app, I was doing 4mph upstream and 4.5 mph downstream. I did open it up to 5mph downstream for a while, but I still got burned off by a cruiser.

Don't be put off about what people say about the trip in to Oxford along the canal.

I actually enjoy it. Yes there are a lot of moored boats (doesn't any 'city' suffer from that), but the trip down past the back of everyones garden and on in to the centre is very good. The moorings at the end are very well policed now against 'over stayers' and are often empty.

Thanks PJ, one for next time now.

On Friday we finally moved off about 2:00pm, and used the excellent services at Thrupp. We had just got onto the river section when the heavens opened, really heavy rain and one point hail. Pushed on and up the lock off the river part, and stopped. A complete change of cloths later, there we stayed until 5:30, when we moved off again, and kept going until, we could no longer see. Depressingly this was only at 8:30, the nights really are drawing in. In reality it was the mist that really stopped us rather than the dark, but we got to a couple on miles north of Upper Heyford.

Don't be put off about what people say about the trip in to Oxford along the canal.

I actually enjoy it. Yes there are a lot of moored boats (doesn't any 'city' suffer from that), but the trip down past the back of everyones garden and on in to the centre is very good. The moorings at the end are very well policed now against 'over stayers' and are often empty.

I love that bit and on a couple of occasions have gone to the bitter end to moor.

Decided that we had better have an early start on Saturday, with the aim to get to Cropredy. So that 8:00am off we went, very quiet as we went up one single lock after an other on the way to Banbury.

It struck me, and I don't know if this is correct, that this section of the Oxford was built with little regard to water usage, there are single often very deep locks (rather than say 2 shallower ones), and with single bottom gates (so lock about 3ft longer). Was there a reason for this?

Anyway got to Banbury early afternoon. The Cotswold Canal Trust were having a "do" in the centre, with a stand and a number of decorated boats. They seen to be very active.

North out of Banbury, arrived at the first lock with one boat waiting, and one that we had followed at distance just pulling up. There was a young couple and older man on board, and there seemed to be a lot of faffing going on with ropes while waiting, then all 3 went up to the lock, and I thought great. The young man comes back and takes the boat into the lock, obviously he was not very experienced. When they had ascended, the older man can walking back down the towpath, and it was Timothy West, walking back towards Banbury.

Once we were up the lock we tried to work out what had been going on, and our conclusion, probably wrong, was that these were perhaps grandchildren and Timothy had come with them to the first lock. We caught then up at the next 2 locks, and then we very going along and came to a bend, and there stuck on the offside were the young couple firmly aground. I offered to tow them off, and the gratefully accepted. This was all getting far to exciting rolleyes.gif. Anyway this now meant that I was ahead of them, so we did not see them again.

Arrived a Cropredy at about 6pm, and moored on the 24hr moorings above the lock.

Tried out both the Brasenose Arms and the Red Lion, good pint of Hooky in both, but preferred the Red Lion I think,.

Sunday now, we need to go up Claydon today, over the top and then down Napton tomorrow, both having restrictions meaning they are only open from 10 to 2.. So we sent off about 8:30, and there was just one boat waiting at the bottom of Claydon when we got there. Went up the flight one up one down in good time.

Cruised across the summit level on not much more than tick-over, no point in rushing as there is no where to go.

We are currently stopped a couple of miles short of the flight near to Priors Harwick. We will go down Napton in the morning, and then down the Calcutt flight and into the Marina. Luckily the restrictions at Calcutt locks do not start until Tuesday, so they don't impact on us getting back.

Well that is it all done now. Boat safely tucked up in the marina, and we are back home.

Set off about 10:30 this morning. Four or Five boats had passed us heading for Marston Doles, but when we go to the top lock there was no one waiting to go down, and a boat just coming up the top lock. Good timing. Most boats going down, 2 that had come up passed us on the way to the top lock, the one at the top lock and one other we passed gong down the flight, and that would be about it for boats going up today. There were 2 boats going down ahead of us.

We moored up for a while above Napton bottom lock, and went and had a late lunch at the Folly. Despite the gloomy skies they were doing a good trade and the food seems good value. Another good pint of Hooky was had too.

Then it was down the bottom lock, and back on home turf. The short cruise round the Oxford, and turn left onto the GU to Calcutt locks. Back to usual with lots of boats moving, something we had not seem much of at all on the Oxford and Thames.

A Calcutt hire boat has just left the top lock, and they had one of the Calcutt guys on board giving tuition, and at the bottom lock there where 2 Kate Boats hire boats just arriving. The crew of one of them said to my wife that is was there first lock, so my wife said "oh so you have come from Stockton", and they replied "no Hertfordshire" rolleyes.gif. Surprisingly there did not seem to be anyone from Kate boats there to help them through. They are going to have to get the hirers off early with the restrictions at Calcutt locks that start tomorrow.

As usual the wind was blowing hard across the meadows marina at Calcutt, our pontoon is on the most elevated spot and usually side on to the direction of the wind. Do not want to faff, so in bow first was the decision, but as we round the island we see our neighbour is not there, that's a first, never seen the boat move before. The result being we have a nice big hole to aim at for the first time.

Then the final few jobs, drop the borrowed anchor back to the office, empty cassettes (always my job) while my wife packs up and give the boat a quick clean. Then load up the car and home, boo hoo......

Edited by john6767