Complete Novice Looking for Advice!

vikkib

Featured Posts

My partner has always had an interest (never fulfilled!) in boating and together with my parents we've decided to go on a short boating holiday.

We'd like to go away for 3 to 4 nights and we're based in Essex. We're looking for a pretty route with a smattering of places of interest to float by! ; )

We were initially thinking maybe going to Oxford or Bath but having started researching a bit more I'm getting a little confused about what routes are possible. I've read somewhere about needing a radio licence to use the Thames which none of us have!

Could anyone help advise with regards a suitable route. No problems driving an hour or two to get to the start of a route.

Many thanks a very excited novice!

My partner has always had an interest (never fulfilled!) in boating and together with my parents we've decided to go on a short boating holiday.

We'd like to go away for 3 to 4 nights and we're based in Essex. We're looking for a pretty route with a smattering of places of interest to float by! ; )

We were initially thinking maybe going to Oxford or Bath but having started researching a bit more I'm getting a little confused about what routes are possible. I've read somewhere about needing a radio licence to use the Thames which none of us have!

Could anyone help advise with regards a suitable route. No problems driving an hour or two to get to the start of a route.

The hire boat company will give you suggested routes google the companies near you and look at there websites Hope you enjoy your trip Joan

Hi There

I have found http://canalplan.org.uk/ very useful for planning trips . You can plan the hours you want to travel and it will tell you even suitable places to stay. Its basic, but it helped us to complete a very successful 3 weeks doing the Thames ring in our boat.

Have a great trip

Jane

Edited by NBchildsplay

Don't worry about the radio, you only need that if you go right into London on the tidal Thames (from Brentford down to London) ... you don't say how old your parents are .. whether you have four or two active adults could make a difference to the route you choose.

Have a great holiday!

Nick

Good advice, so far.

Do not over estimate the distance/ time you can travel, as it is your very first time I would advise planning on about 5 to 6 hours per day maximum.

This may not sound much but it will be enough and give you time for a leisurely cruise, next time you can plan a little longer but it does reduce the sight seeing and visits to the pub.

You will not get very far anyway with a 3or4 night trip.

Pick up will be late afternoon on the first day and return early (09:00 hrs probably) on the last day. So first and last night will almost be at the boatyard.

Travel the next day for about 5 to 6 hours, not necessary in one go, stay overnight,return the next day. (3 night trip)

It will look different on the way back, it always does.

Make sure you have a guide book (Nicholsons or Pearsons, the boatyard may be able to supply) so that you know where you can turn round. (technical term: wind, as in that blows :rolleyes:)

One word of warning, watch out for the boat bug (though it may well have already got you)

Enjoy and let us all know how it went.

Might take you more than an hour or two to get to Bath on a Friday! Up the M11 and across the A14 gets you into the heart of canal country fairly easily, lots of hire companies around and lots of good cruising areas.