Bowman heat exchanger question

CygnusV

Featured Posts

My mate Ian has twin Thornycoft's on his 1960's cruiser. The engines are Fordson Major's, 4 cylinder diesels. Each engine has a Bowman heat exchanger that are connected to the top of the engines with a 90 degree cast alloy bend that has a flange on each end. One end bolts above the thermostat, taking the place of a thermostat housing while the other end bolts onto the back of the heat exchanger. One of these bends is badly damaged and leaking. I've tried Bowman, Mermaid Marine and Lancing, with no luck. Just wondered if anyone on here might know where I might get one either new or secondhand. :banghead:

Providing you can supply accurate dimensions, or the duff one as a pattern, how about a custom stainless automotive exhaust maker ?

Mike.

I was just about to suggest the same thing. I had a holed exhaust manifold on a single cylinder Victor. 'twas before the days of t'internet and I had no idea where to get a replacement, so I went along with the bits to an engineering shop and one of the guys there knocked me one up during his lunch. Cost me a drink.

Tony

My mate Ian has twin Thornycoft's on his 1960's cruiser. The engines are Fordson Major's, 4 cylinder diesels. Each engine has a Bowman heat exchanger that are connected to the top of the engines with a 90 degree cast alloy bend that has a flange on each end. One end bolts above the thermostat, taking the place of a thermostat housing while the other end bolts onto the back of the heat exchanger. One of these bends is badly damaged and leaking. I've tried Bowman, Mermaid Marine and Lancing, with no luck. Just wondered if anyone on here might know where I might get one either new or secondhand. :banghead:

Any small engineering shop that can weld aluminium will be able to fix it for you. You are not on the Broads are you, if so I can probably get it done for you.

Any small engineering shop that can weld aluminium will be able to fix it for you. You are not on the Broads are you, if so I can probably get it done for you.

Off Topic, but are you near Keiths boatyard (Newsoms) in L'toft? Is my old Tjalk still there Vrouwe Jacoba?

C

Providing you can supply accurate dimensions, or the duff one as a pattern, how about a custom stainless automotive exhaust maker ?

Mike.

Thanks for all the replies. From what I've seen so far I agree, it's going to be a fabrication job. Any recommendations in the Doncaster area?