Wooden roof repair

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Athy said:

As you are in the States (welcome, by the way!) how will this Florida-based company be able to repair the roofs of boats in England? Travelling that far to a job cannot be economical.

Its also a reply to a 2011 thread, so hopefully OP has it fixed by now.

• 2 years later...
On 14/08/2011 at 22:56, barrowight said:

We have an iron hulled boat with a wooden top (40' but roof 26'). It was originally covered with a fibreglass skin which was punctured in lots of places. I replaced the walls but patched the roof which wasn't in as bad condition. The roof has gradually deteriorated though and it is time to do something more drastic. I don't want to take the entire top off but really need to get the roof replaced so we're looking for suggestions of either techniques or somewhere where we may be able to get this done at not unreasonable cost. We're moored at Milton Keynes at the moment. Any suggestions gratefully received

Do you still have this boat? If so what did you do in the end? I have an exact same style boat that I’m renovating and was thinking to calico it so intrigued to see what you did if you have any pictures? Mine is a 25ft long steel hull by 9ft wide with wooden top. Any advice would be awesome

11 hours ago, Fraser W said:

Do you still have this boat? If so what did you do in the end? I have an exact same style boat that I’m renovating and was thinking to calico it so intrigued to see what you did if you have any pictures? Mine is a 25ft long steel hull by 9ft wide with wooden top. Any advice would be awesome

Barrowight only ever made this one post and hasn’t been back to the forum since, so is unlikely to respond to your question. However there are probably others who have experience in this area who might be able to assist. 

Don't know if this helps. Back in the 70s we fitted out some bare GRP hull as hire cruisers. We used thick plywood cabin sides, aluminium extrusions that were originally made for truck roofs and ply panels over formed aluminium top hat beams. We were advised to cover the roof and extrusions right down top the extrusion gutters in an open weave glass fibre material a bit like sack cloth and paint the lot with several layers of special epoxied paint. I fully expected the system to de-laminate from the aluminium but I saw own of the boats about 8 years ago, now in private livaboard use and chatted to the owner (he was happy to meet someone involved in the building of the boat) and no leaks were mentioned.   The only  visible problem was that the ply sides had started to de-laminate along the bottom edge and had a 3" batten screwed along the length.