Springs..correct method.

Featured Posts

This is getting overcomplicated. Bottom line with springs is that a triangle is the strongest shape. When a boat is tied up conventionally with a rope at about 30 degrees out from the front and back there is scope for movement. If the bank is the base of the triangle and the rope one of the sides, fit another rope to complete the triangle and significantly reduce the scope for movement. Any close enough variations to that will work.

Correct nautical use of springs - Normal bow and stern ropes to bollards on bank close to bow and stern. Then one long rope from bow to bollard on bank at the stern and another long rope from boat stern to bank at bow. If you use centre cleats it tends to pivot the boat around the centre point rather than limit fore and aft movement, which is the intention. Springs can also be used to swing the bow or stern out in order to get off the bank or out of a tight area. Trouble is I doubt if any of us carry ropes long enough to work this properly - a seventy foot boat will need two ropes at least eighty feet long!

Malcolm

Springs can also be used to swing the bow or stern out in order to get off the bank or out of a tight area. Trouble is I doubt if any of us carry ropes long enough to work this properly - a seventy foot boat will need two ropes at least eighty feet long!

Malcolm

I've found that around ten feet of aft spring is (usually) enough to pull a breasted pair offf the bank or motor the stern in with bow spring, as long as you release rope to allow the bow to pivot on the bank.

Correct nautical use of springs - Normal bow and stern ropes to bollards on bank close to bow and stern. Then one long rope from bow to bollard on bank at the stern and another long rope from boat stern to bank at bow. If you use centre cleats it tends to pivot the boat around the centre point rather than limit fore and aft movement, which is the intention. Springs can also be used to swing the bow or stern out in order to get off the bank or out of a tight area. Trouble is I doubt if any of us carry ropes long enough to work this properly - a seventy foot boat will need two ropes at least eighty feet long!

Malcolm

Sorry, I don't agree. There is no need for such long ropes for springs to be effective. A 10-12 metre rope is more than adequate to spring off a narrow boat.

Howard

Edited by howardang

Use the T stud at bow for your bow lines, at the back I use the closest dolly for the mooring line and the outboard dolly for my spring, really because as you know one dolly isn't really big enough for two ropes. I only put one spring out except on rare occasions when the need arises. They don't need to be long either.

And how big a weight is required to stop a 20 ton narrowboat surging forward

Experiment. Something like. A strong carrier bag on each rope with say two house bricks in each.cheap.Don't worry about peoples remarks about their looks,they'll be just jealous. bizzard

Sorry, I don't agree. There is no need for such long ropes for springs to be effective. A 10-12 metre rope is more than adequate to spring off a narrow boat.

Howard

On a yacht I've done that, but thats only because they're usually 35ft or so, but not practical to run long warps on a 57ft plus Nb.

Howard

When is it necessary to spring-off a narrowboat?

I have never found the need. I usually push the bow off and then get on board at the stern. Occasionally easier to push the stern off and reverse into the cut.

Use the T stud at bow for your bow lines, at the back I use the closest dolly for the mooring line and the outboard dolly for my spring, really because as you know one dolly isn't really big enough for two ropes. I only put one spring out except on rare occasions when the need arises. They don't need to be long either.

You so often see narrrowboats moored with about 2 foot of rope at the stern and 4 foot at the bows, both ropes at 90 Deg to the bank

I have never found the need. I usually push the bow off and then get on board at the stern. Occasionally easier to push the stern off and reverse into the cut.

When you're moored against a dodgy bit of bank with a fully laden pair that are already a couple of feet out but touching the bottom. Particularly effective when the motor is on the outside. Or when you're on your tod and want to keep all the activity on or near the rear of the boat.

I agree that is not needed very often but occasionally in marinas for example where the fuel/pump out berth is in an awkward position which might entail angling off to 60-70 degrees. Or other tight spots where a push might not be enough. Of course, with a bow thrust...... (but thats another story :rolleyes:

Howard

Edited by howardang