I want a boat!

daveyboi2050

Featured Posts

Hi all. havent posted on here for a while but am after a bit of Advice.

after many holidays a float using a friends boat am looking at buying my own small cheap boat.

My budget is 25k max...not bothered about wot stern it has as i like them all. The length i would like to be pretty short say up to 50 ft to keep costs down. And a 2-4 berth. now i no my budget is pretty low but i have seen some about online.

I am after somethink that doesnt need much work as iam not very DIY.

any advice or if you no anyone would be great?

Hi all. havent posted on here for a while but am after a bit of Advice.

after many holidays a float using a friends boat am looking at buying my own small cheap boat.

My budget is 25k max...not bothered about wot stern it has as i like them all. The length i would like to be pretty short say up to 50 ft to keep costs down. And a 2-4 berth. now i no my budget is pretty low but i have seen some about online.

I am after somethink that doesnt need much work as iam not very DIY.

any advice or if you no anyone would be great?

Would think you can get a reasonably good boat for 25 k , dont be too worried about the year of manufacture as long as you make sure a survey is done before you part with any money. Around the north west there are a good many brokers or try Appollo duck for ideas and prices. Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all sorry to bring up this topic again!

I have today spent a day going around a few brokers around cheshire.

Have seen a couple that fit the bill. But i saw a comment on another post saying that

if your budget is 25k look at boats up to 35k is this true?

surely the broker would laugh at you if you put an offer in 10 grand less than the asking price.

also does a surveyor just check the struture hull etc of the boat? or just he check electrics, engine etc?

all advice gratfullt recived!

A good surveyor will check everything but particularly the hull, you want nothing less.

I think the suggestion that you should look at higher priced boats reflects the current economic climate making it a buyers market. Given your budget I would look at boats priced up to at least £35,000 especially if you envisage a simple cash purchase. You may get lucky.

A good surveyor will check everything but particularly the hull, you want nothing less.

I think the suggestion that you should look at higher priced boats reflects the current economic climate making it a buyers market. Given your budget I would look at boats priced up to at least £35,000 especially if you envisage a simple cash purchase. You may get lucky.

Thanks very much Richard for your advice! been looking online this morning around 30k-35k boats.

yes it would be a cash buy. so hopefully might get lucky!

Nothing at all wrong with buying a low priced boat but I think it would be wise to have £1k or £2k left in the kitty after the purchase price and surveyor, licence fee etc have been paid - just in case something unexpected happens.

Mind you I might not take my own advice :)

Hi yes that looks a decent boat!

yes after paying for everythink ive budgeted a couple of grand aside!

Spoke to the manger today of a local brokerage firm without mentioning any names

i was asking for a bit more info on a certain boat i quite like.

the BSC has run out but will be sold with a full one. So the manager said

if you come down while the BSC inspector is here we will ask him to check the hull as the boat is on hard standing

then you wont have to pay for a survey. Surely this cant be correct. otherwise everyone would be doing it.

This has now left me quite light hearted as i do like the boat and keep going back to it online.

any advice would be grafully recived

Unless the BSS guy is also a surveyor, then his opinion will be worth absoluely zip, nil nada.

If he is, and he gives you a bit of advice, then whilst maybe indicative, would also be of little practical use.

Cheers dout a broker should ber saying things like that anyway

A surveyor will do exactly what you commission him or her to do, nothing more. Ask carefully!

At the moment, silly offers are sometimes accepted, though you might have to face the wrath of one or two people who think you're taking the mickey. It's up to you to suss out which boats are overpriced and which owners might take the money you have. If a boat is priced at £35k but only actually worth about £30k, then a £25k offer is only £5000 under the odds. If someone wants a quick sale they might take it.

One note of caution, though - if they're that keen to get rid of it, you've got to ask yourself why. And have some money in the bank just in case.

It's normally cheaper to do the maintenance than repair something after a crisis, but many people don't think like that, so be particularly careful when looking at "bargain" boats. And use anything that looks suspect as a bargaining point, obviously ;)

And as it's advertised as "Josher Style" you could try and suggest to the seller that unless they knock a fair bit off the asking price you will invoke the Trade Descriptions Act! :lol:

Definitely worth making a silly offer - we did and got our boat for more than £10k less than the asking price. It was poorly marketed and very badly presented (dirty, untidy, etc) and had been for sale for six months, after which time this particular broker starts charging storage.

Go for it - all they can do is say no and you might get yourself a bargain like we did :)

Definitely worth making a silly offer - we did and got our boat for more than £10k less than the asking price. It was poorly marketed and very badly presented (dirty, untidy, etc) and had been for sale for six months, after which time this particular broker starts charging storage.

Go for it - all they can do is say no and you might get yourself a bargain like we did :)

Thanks for all your advice guys hopefully see you on the cut pretty soon on my own boat! haha

Hi all sorry to bring up this topic again!

I have today spent a day going around a few brokers around cheshire.

Have seen a couple that fit the bill. But i saw a comment on another post saying that

if your budget is 25k look at boats up to 35k is this true?

surely the broker would laugh at you if you put an offer in 10 grand less than the asking price.

also does a surveyor just check the struture hull etc of the boat? or just he check electrics, engine etc?

all advice gratfullt recived!

My boat was advertised at £39,950. The day after it was reduced to £32,950 I put an offer in of £25,000. The broker said it was quite a cheeky offer, I told him it's my only offer as it's all I had. He contacted the vendor who said yes! I then had the boat surveyed who priced it at worth £27,000. I contacted the broker to say the surveyor had identified several thousand pounds worth of work needing doing due to water ingress (technically true) and so I was reducing my offer to £23,500. The broker asked to see the survey and I said no as it has cost me a lot of money but I truthfully described the areas that needed work and if the vendor wanted more detail he could purchase the survey report from me. The vendor accepted £23,500.

There's an element of risk in doing it like that because at any point the vendor may say no. But if you're prepared to take the risk it can work in your favour.

I got loads of advice from the guys on this forum prior m buying my boat, wich helped enormously.

My boat was advertised at £39,950. The day after it was reduced to £32,950 I put an offer in of £25,000. The broker said it was quite a cheeky offer, I told him it's my only offer as it's all I had. He contacted the vendor who said yes! I then had the boat surveyed who priced it at worth £27,000. I contacted the broker to say the surveyor had identified several thousand pounds worth of work needing doing due to water ingress (technically true) and so I was reducing my offer to £23,500. The broker asked to see the survey and I said no as it has cost me a lot of money but I truthfully described the areas that needed work and if the vendor wanted more detail he could purchase the survey report from me. The vendor accepted £23,500.

There's an element of risk in doing it like that because at any point the vendor may say no. But if you're prepared to take the risk it can work in your favour.

I got loads of advice from the guys on this forum prior m buying my boat, wich helped enormously.

It's on my brokerage, but I think this is a delightful boat owned from new by one couple. Sadly, the husband has passed away. http://rugbyboats.co.uk/boatpix/1197/index.html