Recommendations please for solar regulator

DaveC

Featured Posts

Hi to all solar panel users.

I am trying to get some recommendations for a solar panel regulator for panels of 170 - 200 watts / 12 volt system.

I did try earlier asking for recommendation for a MPPT regulator but after over 100 people read the posting no-one answered. Does this mean that they are not recommended?

Dave

These people come well recommended in these forums. I'd suspect that their choice of offerings represents good value for money.

There's also this controller which comes at the right price, but I have seen no reviews of it anywhere so have no idea how good it is in practice.

Personally, if it was me buying, I'd probably talk to Midsummer Energy.

Tony

If you have plenty of solar power and are only concerned to ensure that your batteries are not overcharged a regular PWM controller will do.

If you want to get the maximum energy from your solar panels an MPPT controller should do better. Whether it is enough "better" to justify the extra cost may not easy to quantify.

In another thread someone said a cheap "Wellsee" mppt controller did not seem to work as expected, but I have not seen criticism of any other brands.

Edited by Robin2

I have ordered a Juta MPPT controller...

Note the very important instructions that you must connect the controller to the batteries before connecting the panels to them. Note also that you must wire your panels in parallel, not series.

Please be sure to report back and let us know how it performs :)

Cheers,

Tony

I have installed one of these a couple of weeks ago and so far am very happy with it. Seems well made, has a handy lcd display, allows for future expansion (30a). Good service and delivery from supplier and reasonable price, although postage a bit high this is not to bad if cables etc are bought at the same time.

Provista 30a MPPT