River Mersey

Amber

Featured Posts

Has anyone done this trip across the Mersey.

Cheers

Raga

Yes many many times,but not with a narrow boat,you will need to have a survey done by an MSC surveyor and pay the MSC for the transit of the canal, not sure what the charge is for the lock at Ellesmere Port down on to the MSC, this is run by Wirral Council I think. also there will be a charge for the lock at Brunswick Dock. The Mersey has very very strong tides which can run at 4 or 5 miles an hour and more on spring tides also the channel (marked by buoys) to Eastham locks can be busy with large ships on tide times, oh yes and the Mersey can get very rough in fresh NW or SW winds.

Yes many many times,but not with a narrow boat,you will need to have a survey done by an MSC surveyor and pay the MSC for the transit of the canal, not sure what the charge is for the lock at Ellesmere Port down on to the MSC, this is run by Wirral Council I think. also there will be a charge for the lock at Brunswick Dock. The Mersey has very very strong tides which can run at 4 or 5 miles an hour and more on spring tides also the channel (marked by buoys) to Eastham locks can be busy with large ships on tide times, oh yes and the Mersey can get very rough in fresh NW or SW winds.

Methinks you're suggesting he/she may find it easier/safer/cheaper going the long way round.

As someone who grew up on the banks of the Mersey - Have you seen the size of them boats!!!!

I wouldn't attempt it in a narrowboat - it's hairy enough on the "ferry 'cross the mersey" lol

On a rough day like this,

Mersey_Ferry_1930s.jpg

Edited by Dalesman

Do you guys really think that I would take my beloved boat out in a force 10, even a force 3.

There are pilots available, not expensive river pilots & when I have gathered all the info & costs I will post them so others can think about it.!!??

Going up the Severn in a 14 knot wind was not exactly pleasant and.. it was a great experience.

Cheers

Raga

Do you guys really think that I would take my beloved boat out in a force 10, even a force 3.

There are pilots available, not expensive river pilots & when I have gathered all the info & costs I will post them so others can think about it.!!??

Going up the Severn in a 14 knot wind was not exactly pleasant and.. it was a great experience.

Cheers

Raga

There's a recent very short thread here on the same subject. The scary video clip above is at the approach to Langton lock, there's now no need to go that far down the river plus probably exaggerated a bit by use of a long lens. All the same it is certainly not a trip to be undertaken lightly or without proper preparation.

AIUI the barge lock at Ellesmere Port is BW, but the swing bridge across it is Cheshire West & Chester council. There's no charge in normal hours, but they do need notice, probably 48 hours. There is a charge for Brunswick lock.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Thanks Tim

The timing is rather difficult. Into the Manchester Ship Canal thru the bridge, hang out in the MSC until a lovely day comes along then out at Eastham lock & across to Liverpool Marina.

From Liverpool Marina it is an inside job to join the Leeds Liverpool thru the Liverpool Link.

Watch this space

Cheers

Raga

Thanks Tim

The timing is rather difficult. Into the Manchester Ship Canal thru the bridge, hang out in the MSC until a lovely day comes along then out at Eastham lock & across to Liverpool Marina.

From Liverpool Marina it is an inside job to join the Leeds Liverpool thru the Liverpool Link.

Watch this space

Cheers

Raga

You don't want to be hanging around in that outer basin at The Port any longer than necessary, so you do need a crystal ball for the weather. You also need to do your tide planning well in advance, it's not just the weather which has to be right.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Thanks Tim

Watch this space

Cheers

Raga

For your info the MSC require 48 hours notice for the transit of the canal, also a completed Application form, copy of your insurance, and the Transit fee. According to the MSC Pleasure Craft Transit Notes,pleasure craft are not to remain on the MSC longer than is necessary to complete their passage,and there are no lay-by facilities at Eastham Locks.

For your info the MSC require 48 hours notice for the transit of the canal, also a completed Application form, copy of your insurance, and the Transit fee. According to the MSC Pleasure Craft Transit Notes,pleasure craft are not to remain on the MSC longer than is necessary to complete their passage,and there are no lay-by facilities at Eastham Locks.

Yes they require 48 hours notice, but they are aware that plans can be delayed by weather, you need to keep them informed if this is likely to happen.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Hi Mike

Thank you so much for the UTube video.

It looked so calm, much calmer than coming up the Severn in 14 knots.

If I could work out how to do it I would post the photos of that journey.

How come you had a convoy????

I am in Chester at the moment, tomorrow sight seeing then Thurs up to Ellesmere Port & Friday, hopefully in a 3knot breeze, across the Mersey.

Cheers

Raga

Hi Mike

Thank you so much for the UTube video.

It looked so calm, much calmer than coming up the Severn in 14 knots.

If I could work out how to do it I would post the photos of that journey.

How come you had a convoy????

I am in Chester at the moment, tomorrow sight seeing then Thurs up to Ellesmere Port & Friday, hopefully in a 3knot breeze, across the Mersey.

Cheers

Raga

i think they were all on the way to the cancelled then un-cancelled Liverpool boat festival.

Hi,

An update on my question.

I am now in the basin at Ellesmere Port and will be crossing the Mersey on Wednesday 3rd August.

I have found a pilot Stuart Wood, a retired river pilot & RYA instructor. He is available to any who want to take this voyage!!

Phone 07770 664 951.

Wind forecast at the moment 2-3 knots!!!

Possible rain showers.

Everyone I have contacted has been really helpful, BW, Eastham locks, Cheshire West & Chester Council.

If anyone would like to know more about the proceedure let me know or ring Stuart.

I will take photos & then work out how to put them on the forum.

Cheers

Raga

Glad to see you made it across to Liverpool, you had a great guy as a pilot too. Just out of interest what were the costs involved in this crossing (canal dues, locking etc).? Looking forward to seeing your pictures of the crossing when you have them sorted out.

Glad to see you made it across to Liverpool, you had a great guy as a pilot too. Just out of interest what were the costs involved in this crossing (canal dues, locking etc).? Looking forward to seeing your pictures of the crossing when you have them sorted out.

Hi Folks,

I'm a brand new member, liking the look of the forum. Be gentle with me.

This topic is of immediate interest to me. I'm hoping to attend the September Liverpool on the Waterfront event (Mersey River Festival as was) but I'm struggling to find information. Two phone calls to BW have got me nowhere so far, so if anyone can help I'll be grateful.

I've been trying to reserve a mooring in Salthouse Dock, without success . More importantly, I intend to cross from the Manchester Ship Canal via Eastham Locks.

Even before watching mycaskin's excallent video, I was hoping to join a flotilla to cross the Mersey but again, I can't find anyone else with similar plans.

I'm counting on another forum member having similar plans. If so, please respond.

Hello to Dalesman. I believe we've spoken on another forum.

Regards,

G

These are the phone numbers you need.

Ring Andy Goudie (a really nice guy) at Salthouse itself. Number 0151 709 6558

or BW 01606 723800 and talk to Dewina about booking a mooring at Salthouse or the Liverpool Link.

She is away this week so a lady called Lynne is handling it.

You need to organise Cheshire & West Chester Council to open the swing bridge at Ellesmere Port

Rob Taylor 07799 658 814

You do NOT need BW to unlock the lock gates as they are only tied up with blue rope. Just tie them up again.

To go on the MSC contact Huw Jones 0151 327 2038 & he will email you all the info about the MSC.

One of the biggest problems I found was that I needed to give him 48 hrs notice of my transit & the transit was dependant on the weather & we sorted it. Cost to transit canal £53.

Another call you must make 24 hours before leaving Ellesmere Port is to Eastham Port Control (out of the MSC) 0151 327 4638.

You need a sea going certificate for the MSC .....Nothing for the Mersey !!!!!

Huw will send you a list of recommended surveyors. Cost around £25--£30 Travelling to my boat cost another £50 on top.

The best thing I did was to employ Stuart Wood £100. He knows all the ropes & all the people and is good value with local knowledge. 07770 664 951. It's quite tricky coming into Brunswick Lock & the L/pool Marina. Dredging was happening & the dredge took up a lot of room.

Also..About Ellesmere Port. The Shroppie to there was not too weedy but check your weed hatch before you leave Ellesmere Port, just in case. The water point & Elsan disposal are at the top of the locks down into the basin. Fill up & empty out before you go down into the locks. You will have to moor alongside the trip boat to do this. AND.. the locks are the piggyest that I have come across in 3 summers. I picked on a hunky looking by-stander to open the middle paddles as I could not do them!! They are also almost staircase locks as well. Not mentioned in Nicholsons.

The basin there is lovely-huge. Holiday Inn does a good meal & day passes for their pool & sauna cost £6, well worth while.

Travel well

Sorry for the phoney post with just a quote, also for being slow to reply, work is a nuisance.

Dalesman is the username appearing on another great forum for salty sea dogs.

Amber, many thanks for all of the info. I'm not sure I've left myself enough time to organise everything, especially a survey, but I will get busy.

It's anoying to need a survey within a month of my fresh BSC survey but I suppose that's boating.

Cheers,

G

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I'm making progress with arrangements to cruise the mersey to the River Festival, now called Liverpoolonthewaterfront unfortunately,

Huw Jones of the ship canal says there are no flotillas organised.

Is nobody else planning this trip?

G

Edited by Bez