Whoopee

colinjw

Featured Posts

We will be going out on Sunday and doing the Stourport Ring over about 9 days.

Real leisurely pace and we will be meeting friends near and in Worcester.

It might be a bit chilly but I've got about 5 pairs of very warm gloves and good cold-weather gear.

If anyone sees us, give a toot and a wave.

Colin

We will be going out on Sunday and doing the Stourport Ring . . .

. . .If anyone sees us, give a toot and a wave.

Hi Colin,

Sounds great, enjoy! (and keep all the gloves on at the same time!!)

Dont forget, as you go past Round Hill Wharf at Kidderminster, give Moley a toot - he'll be in his 'injin 'ole !

Peter

Have a good trip Colin, don't forget the thermals.

Thanks Bernie.

Woolly vest and long johns are already packed.

We will be doing the 4 counties ring in July. Which is the better place to stop at, the Kinderton Arms or the Kings Lock for food in the evening?

We will look out for Pearly May on our travels.

Colin

Thanks Bernie.

Woolly vest and long johns are already packed.

We will be doing the 4 counties ring in July. Which is the better place to stop at, the Kinderton Arms or the Kings Lock for food in the evening?

We will look out for Pearly May on our travels.

Colin

Kinderton Arms. "Ignore it's dour appearance and go straight past". Nicholsons

Not the best place in the world for food Middlewich. A good old fashioned pub is the Newton Brewery Inn, it rarely gets a mention but I have always had a good night there. Moor at the end of the garden.

Edited by John Orentas

Thanks John but I will be turning left onto the Middlewich branch and it seems a bit daft to go to the Newton by boat....might walk though depending how we feel.

Colin

The Kings Lock is not too bad, not sure about food though but an excellent chip shop across the road.

Slowly guys, slowly - otherwise I'll get 14 replies all telling me the same thing!

Being new to all this, I don't know all the well known routes, but being very quick witted :lol: I instantly realised that the "Stourport Ring" would go through Stourport. Added to that, because I know where Nb Just Sublime is moored I deduced that you (Colin) would be turning left at the entrance at Otherton and trundling off to Stourport. ;)

(Of course you could be going the other way and coming back via Stourport - think I'd better just ignore that possibility or my confusion will get totaly out-of-hand) :D

Can someone please tell me what the route is on the Stourport Ring? ie: where d'ya go?

Peter

Can someone please tell me what the route is on the Stourport Ring?

Starting at Stouport and running anti-clockwise:

Down the Severn to Worcester, up the Worcester and Birmingham to (surprise, surprise) Birmingham, BCN mainline to Wolverhampton and down the Wolverhampton flight to the Staffs and Worcester and return to Stourport. 87 miles, 118 locks and about 50 hours cruising time.

As an alternative (and to my mind more interesting route), take the BCN to Dudley Port Junction, turn left through Netherton Tunnel and Brierly Hill to the Stourbridge Canal, drop down to Stourton Junction and the Staffs & Worcs, returning to Stourport. 74 miles, 105 locks and 42 hours cruising.

Hope this helps.