Ghost Image

Featured Posts

What is the ghost image behind the right hand side of the canal bridge in the forum logo?

I have loaded this into a graphics program and manipulated this in a number of ways. I see nothing specific, just a background which graduates from dark to light (I don't know the technical term!) :unsure:

It's called 'banding' and often occurs when colour gradients are used - as in the CWDF logo - using digital graphics. Blue seems to be particularly susceptible, and if - like me - you to a lot of landscape photography, it can be a real pain when there's lots of blue sky in a photo.

For the digital/technical anoraks amongst us (including me) here's an explanation and a solution:-

http://slodive.com/photoshop/how-to-correct-banding-in-your-gradients-using-photoshop/

I am hoping that the powers that be will read this and fix the image.

Yeah!

Me too now that it's become annoying, now that someone has brought it to my attention.

It was never a problem, before this thread was started. ;)

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

What you've done there is change it from 8 colour bit depth to 24 bit. It's the 8 colour bit depth that is causing it.

I know...well spotted...but the software I use doesn't work in 8-bit. The 'ghost image' also appeared in the 24-bit version, so had to use a blurring tool to make the gradient a bit (no pun intended) smoother.

Tried to fix it as best I could.

CWDF_logo2.jpg

1_logo.png

Which is the 'before' and which the 'after'?

ok! I know I am a little slow, maybe it's down to me dancin up and down!

But!

What are you lot talkin about??

Need to know, Sonny, Need to know. B)

The 'ghost image' also appeared in the 24-bit version,

It will do, it's there in the original picture.

so had to use a blurring tool to make the gradient a bit (no pun intended) smoother.

Aye, but take your 24 bit image, convert it back down to 8 bit and guess what, the ghost reappears :)