Most stressful days cruising

Featured Posts

Woken at 4.30 AM by large crowds of young people wandering along Walthamstow marshes, looking for the next party and throwing stones at the boats. 5.30 start aborted by a full weedhatch. Wary 7AM conversations with can-clutching characters at Old Ford Lock, and a polite refusal of a boat ride (I'm by myself). Remembered to lock the doors. All the locks against me, gates open and paddles up until St Pancras. Increasing heat and toothache. The high point! - a round of applause from the gongoozlers at Camden! Arrived exhausted at Little Venice. Difficult tooth extracted by an emergency dentist in a slightly grubby tweed jacket.

But worst of all - GIVEN PILLS WHICH STRICTLY MEAN NO ALCOHOL FOR A WEEK.

Sympathy or 'I can cap that' stories, whichever you like. Too tired to care.

Mac

I once had tooth ache while boating....

Walked back a mile or so to the local town and fixed it (Atherstone from memory) ignored the warnings about 'do not take these with alcohol' and lived...

ETA - just to be sensible for a mo though, it does depend on the medication. For some, alcohol suppresses the effectiveness and others it enhances side effects such as drowsiness.

Edited by MJG

Woken at 4.30 AM by large crowds of young people wandering along Walthamstow marshes, looking for the next party and throwing stones at the boats. 5.30 start aborted by a full weedhatch. Wary 7AM conversations with can-clutching characters at Old Ford Lock, and a polite refusal of a boat ride (I'm by myself). Remembered to lock the doors. All the locks against me, gates open and paddles up until St Pancras. Increasing heat and toothache. The high point! - a round of applause from the gongoozlers at Camden! Arrived exhausted at Little Venice. Difficult tooth extracted by an emergency dentist in a slightly grubby tweed jacket.

Mac

Oh for the halcyon days on the HNC!

Look on the bright side, the beer down there is too expensive to drink anyway.

Best wishes.

Edited by linwil

I've been given pills which are supposed to mean no alchohol! I drink anyway.

Where are you heading, we're going to Limehouse tomorrow (from Teddington) and may go on to Paddington?

Edited by Tim

I've been given pills which are supposed to mean no alchohol! I drink anyway.
Yes, so do I normally, but the dentist guy was seriously insistent this time, so I read the leaflet. I don't want even a fraction of the horrors described. :o

Heading back home to Scotland for a few days on Wednesday, leaving the boat at the West London Motor Cruising Club. As half the pleasure of cruising is investigating good pubs and their beer, I may as well be at home getting the garden under control. Most frustrating today moored right outside the GBG listed Black Horse, Greenford. I went in, found 5 beers, and ordered some alcohol-free concoction. :(

Kate & James - yet another Cygnet! Or have we met?

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Mac

I would not trust a Tweed Jacket, grubby or not - don't they all look grubby?

Do not take the pills, alcohol is far more effective!

You have been suckered by a grubby tweed jacketed under-cover temperance movement operative.

BTW - I never needed pain killers for an extraction myself, maybe they are antibiotics?

You never know what you may catch from a tweed jacket.

If I had toothache I would have killed ayone who annoyed me.

Well done, I have not heard of any murders in that area!

Sympathy, Alan

Guest wanted

My Mum (gawd rest er) used to recount this tale that when she was little she went to a Dorset dentist by the name of Gibson Smith, he too wore a grubby tweed jacket. For some reason he had administered something that had to be given time to work, so whilst my Ma helplessly sat in the chair waiting, the good Dentist opened the back door for an impromptu game of fetch with his slobbery Labrador. Yes, that's right, after 5 minutes he returned to his work, no gloves, no hand wash no nowt! :sick:

(incidentally: it wasn't that that caused her passing!)

I was once warned by a friends GP wife that antibiotics prescribed for dental (and some other unpleasant) issues are one of the few that you should heed the warnings about avoiding alcohol with them. I think its metronidazole.

When I was in my late teens I broke a finger and, because the skin was broken, was given an antibiotic with the warning not to drink alcohol. Like any late teenage lad I thought I knew better and within 2 hours was laid flat out on my bunk with what was quite possibly the worst headache I have ever had in my life (except perhaps for a migraine I had when I was a boy)

That, I can tell you, was a salutory lesson so now I always, without fail, heed warnings of that sort

Metronidazole is indeed very nasty with alcohol. Recovering alcoholics are often prescribed it to dissuade them from drinking, because with it even a mouthful of booze can produce extreme hangover symptoms within half an hour.

Metronidazole is indeed very nasty with alcohol. Recovering alcoholics are often prescribed it to dissuade them from drinking, because with it even a mouthful of booze can produce extreme hangover symptoms within half an hour.

That is indeed the stuff I've been given. Now I don't even dare to open the bottle I bought which says 'Alkoholfrei' on the front, and the same on the back in 5 other foreign languages. Only in English does it say 'less than 0.5%'. Shall I venture a mouthful or stick to the orange juice?

You should get away with a small glass of wine or equivalent. What dose 200mg or 400mg? But for a simple tooth extraction you shouldnt need antibiotics and if it was infected - well its been removed thats the treatment!

Was it a straight forward extraction? Was it a "surgical"?

Three days Flagyl is more than enough anyway, 7 days i rather vindictive to my mind bearing in mind the interaction with alcohol!

I would advice good old Peniciilin V ( and keep the flagyl for dry socket should it occur)!

Good luck!

You should get away with a small glass of wine or equivalent. What dose 200mg or 400mg? But for a simple tooth extraction you shouldnt need antibiotics and if it was infected - well its been removed thats the treatment!

Was it a straight forward extraction? Was it a "surgical"?

Three days Flagyl is more than enough anyway, 7 days i rather vindictive to my mind bearing in mind the interaction with alcohol!

I would advice good old Peniciilin V ( and keep the flagyl for dry socket should it occur)!

Good luck!

Are you a dentist, then? Yes, it was infected. No, it wasn't straightforward, but I don't know what a 'surgical' is. It was probably the emergency 24/7 London dentist wanting to make sure there was no comeback. And apologies to all those to whom this is too much information - I could go into much greater detail, I can tell you!

Anyway I'm drinking my alcohol free wheat beer. A lot more pleasant than the stuff I had last night - Erdinger Weissbrau Alkoholfrei (but not quite).

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

• 1 month later...

I was once warned by a friends GP wife that antibiotics prescribed for dental (and some other unpleasant) issues are one of the few that you should heed the warnings about avoiding alcohol with them. I think its metronidazole.

Don't, don't, don't drink if this is what they have given you. They are pretty nasty things even without alcohol and can be really nasty with so do as you are told and go without for a few days, SORRY.