Instantaneous Water heaters

Featured Posts

OK gonna jump in here without reading all the posts.

NB just sold had a Morco 6L with battery spark generator. 5 years use worked faultlessly. Only lit it when about to use it so no need to keep the pilot on. Never failed to light in under a second. Only sevice needed was to remove the heater and blow out the heat exchanger with compressed air which in all took less than 1/2 hour.

I was so impressed with it I put one in the motorhome I built which is also giving stearling service.

About the Rinnai and more.

Thanks for the welcome.

Interesting point about the other two makes with constantly variable flame, but since I've had Rinnai for 20 years and it's working fine now (and the gas and water pipes are a snug fit) I don't think I'll change. Since I live on the boat, I suppose I'm used to the two-setting idea by now.

As to flushing the Rinnai, I've just done the main one and a spare and didn't even think of anything more complicated than I described, and yes it completely freed off the water-control valve.

I wonder how many pieces of expensive equipment is thrown out because of limescale?

In my line of trade running bars hard water really causes some damage gumming up glasswashers to the point they don't work properly even though externally they might be prefectly clean.

When I took over our first pub the glasswasher was absolutely hopeless. Turned out the boiling tube was completly choked with limescale so there was not enough rinse water to swill off the glassware properly.

Solved the problem by running a solution of acidic bog cleaner - far more effective than descalent you can buy in the shops -via cold water tank connected to a pump activated from the washer inlet valve circuit. You could rig up a similar system to clean out a water heater I imagine using a small 12 volt pump.

Also to prevent scale build you could fit a water softhener like they attach to a glass washer. Prevents scale build up and only needs charging with salt once a month.

When I took over our first pub the glasswasher was absolutely hopeless. Turned out the boiling tube was completly choked with limescale so there was not enough rinse water to swill off the glassware properly.

I know e-x-a-c-t-l-y what you mean.

80% of the time the people at the top don't really care, would you agree? (But you seem to be in the other 20% :))

Also to prevent scale build you could fit a water softhener like they attach to a glass washer. Prevents scale build up and only needs charging with salt once a month.

For an instant water heater a 'polyphosphate' filter cartridge (aka Combimate) before the heater is another way to reduce scale buildup.

That said it doesn't chemically soften the water like an ion exchange softener does.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

I know e-x-a-c-t-l-y what you mean.

80% of the time the people at the top don't really care, would you agree? (But you seem to be in the other 20% :))

For an instant water heater a 'polyphosphate' filter cartridge (aka Combimate) before the heater is another way to reduce scale buildup.

That said it doesn't chemically soften the water like an ion exchange softener does.

cheers,

Pete.

I've also seen one of those magnetic devices fitted into the output line from the main tank on a boat in the USA. The owner claimed it kept limescale way down.

I've also seen one of those magnetic devices fitted into the output line from the main tank on a boat in the USA. The owner claimed it kept limescale way down.

I've always wondered about those. The science behind them seems awfully vague.

Tony