Kingfisher

ChrisPy

Featured Posts

My wife has never seen a kingfisher, although we spend a lot of time around ponds, streams amd canals.

My best mate promised to show her a hidden location where he fishes, where he could almost guarantee he would find kingfishers. Unfortunately he died last week.

This morning a kingfisher flew into a patio door at the back of our house and died. Its little body and coloration is perfect.

Spooky or what?

hi

funny really, a couple of years ago we were swatting kingfishers away like flies, picking them out of our hair, scraping them off our windows. but hardly seen more than half a dozen this year. what's happened to them? snakes too, only one so far this year.

cheers

nigel

I was working in Albania in 2002 alongside a 'drain' known as the River Seman (no jokes please) that was running in a mixture of tar (derived from leaking oil sands deposits) and water - really vile conditions with a constant presence of hydrogen sulphide. Kingfishers were present by the dozen in some locations.

Bristol museum have asked me to let them have the specimen for research. Pity it won't go for taxiwhatsit.

hi

funny really, a couple of years ago we were swatting kingfishers away like flies, picking them out of our hair, scraping them off our windows. but hardly seen more than half a dozen this year. what's happened to them? snakes too, only one so far this year.

cheers

nigel

I would have imagined the last 2 hard winters have taken their toll. I haven't seen many kingfishers flying around with hammer and chisels trying to break through the ice.

I think kingfishers suffer more than most birds when the weather is really hard.

I would have imagined the last 2 hard winters have taken their toll. I haven't seen many kingfishers flying around with hammer and chisels trying to break through the ice.

I think kingfishers suffer more than most birds when the weather is really hard.

ahh! of course. and depending how deeply they hibernate it might account for the snake situation too.

cheers

nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Have regularly seen them on the Shroppie around Brewood (although haven't been that way for a couple of years). So far this year, seen one a little south of Oxford on the Thames and one somewhere near Newbury on the K & A. Don't seem to be as many herons about this year, to me.

Mike.

My wife has never seen a kingfisher, although we spend a lot of time around ponds, streams amd canals.

My best mate promised to show her a hidden location where he fishes, where he could almost guarantee he would find kingfishers. Unfortunately he died last week.

This morning a kingfisher flew into a patio door at the back of our house and died. Its little body and coloration is perfect.

Spooky or what?

I think I might be the only one on here who thinks that this was your best mate fulfilling his promise. :blush:

I think I might be the only one on here who thinks that this was your best mate fulfilling his promise. :blush:

it would certainly have been in character for him to arrange it. We've had the wake, given him a good send-off, and can now reminisce about his eccentricities. :cheers:

Have regularly seen them on the Shroppie around Brewood (although haven't been that way for a couple of years). So far this year, seen one a little south of Oxford on the Thames and one somewhere near Newbury on the K & A. Don't seem to be as many herons about this year, to me.

Mike.

The herons are all on the Thames. I can rarely see fewer than three at any one time.