What's a hospital silencer?

Windfola

Featured Posts

And what are the best reasons for having one? Presumably for the silence, but what do hospitals have to do with it?

The term goes back to when hospital generators that are used to provide emergency electrical power to hospitals during power failures were fitted with very effective (Due to the design of the baffles inside) silencers so as to cause minimal disturbance to patients when the generator was running.

Edited by MJG

Google is a wonderful invention :banghead:

http://www.canalcutt...-silencers.html

Howard

I saw that article as well !

We have one on our Beta 43, and it is significantly quieter than many boats. However I am half way through further sound deadening and have fitted heavy, 30mm thick, sound deadening panels to the underside of the floor above the engine and that has made a very big improvement in lack of noise, and there is still quite a bit more that I can do, so looking forward to near silent cruising...

Nick

lots of money lots of space! try 2 silencers instead!

I have been wondering about a hospital silencer but before \i spend any money have you experience of two silencers? What sort was the second one?

However I am half way through further sound deadening and have fitted heavy, 30mm thick, sound deadening panels to the underside of the floor above the engine and that has made a very big improvement in lack of noise, and there is still quite a bit more that I can do, so looking forward to near silent cruising...

Nick

I lined most of my engine compartment with 3M Thinsulate and it has been wonderfully effective at reducing noise - as well as very easy to install.

I saw sheets of inch thick foam that was for soundproofing in Homebase. IIRC it was covered in foil much like Kingspan or Cellotex but the foam was soft like foam rubber. Cannot remember the price but it seemed reasonable. Worth doing IMHO. I love these boats you dont hear until they have passed you :)

edited for clodhopping spelling

Edited by Sunset Rising

I have been wondering about a hospital silencer but before \i spend any money have you experience of two silencers? What sort was the second one?

Yes, we have now fitted 4 boats with twin silencers...using 2 of our normal silencers. We also put sound insulation that is approved for RCD requirements (heat/fire as well as sound) on to the engine boards...depending on the style, either around or over the engine....and find it extremely effective. We launched a boat last summer..'Fruit of the Vine' which was the first we did this way, and the owner was asked if it was an electric boat by someone on the tow path! It had a 'normal' engine...no special quietness about it other than the way it was fitted.

Bare in mind anything insulating heat will also insulate heat around batteries and anything else in the engine compartment and may require extra ventilation therefore.

Edited by Ally

Yes, we have now fitted 4 boats with twin silencers...using 2 of our normal silencers. We also put sound insulation that is approved for RCD requirements (heat/fire as well as sound) on to the engine boards...depending on the style, either around or over the engine....and find it extremely effective. We launched a boat last summer..'Fruit of the Vine' which was the first we did this way, and the owner was asked if it was an electric boat by someone on the tow path! It had a 'normal' engine...no special quietness about it other than the way it was fitted.

Bare in mind anything insulating heat will also insulate heat around batteries and anything else in the engine compartment and may require extra ventilation therefore.

I would love to see a photo of your twin silencer installation. Thanks.

Edited by Robin2

I would love to see a photo of your twin silencer installation. Thanks.

Sorry, not got a specific photo of one, but there might have been a pic in the canalboat article on Fruit of the Vine possibly. Otherwise one of our customers who has the same is a forum member and could possibly post a picture....none of our boats are 'to hand' just now.