Boat type's - Dumb question

junior_7178

Featured Posts

This will seem a realy stupid question to all you boat owners,but as a few of you might know im doing my reasearch on living aboard,as im planning on buying a liveaboard at the end of the year.

Im trawling through sites at the moment,taking on board as much infomation as possible,but ive got a couple of questions i need help with,so i thought i'd put it to you guys!!

What is the diffference between the different types of boats i see advertised?

I know that Butty's etc are the working boats (i think?),but what is the different between a traditional boat,semi-traditional,a cruiser style and a cruiser stern boat?

And also there seem to be a lot of adverts that say "would suit liveaboard".What would be the main difference between a holiday boat and a liveaboard.Do people just add the word liveaboard to try and attract people to their advert?,and as im looking for a liveaboard boat is there anything specific i should look for when trawling the ads?

Any help appreciated :lol:

What is the different between a traditional boat,semi-traditional,a cruiser style and a cruiser stern boat?

Heres a breif guide.. {linky} also see here and here

"Trads" are based on the boatmans cabin idea that old work boats had, and just have room for one person, standing in the "doorway"

- With the hatch shut, there is very little room at all, even with the till arm removed. (photo)

"Semi Trads" have the same sides as a trad, and from low-down would look very simular. Howver, this area is usally uncovered, and allow several people to stand in the stern.

"Crusers" have large open sterns with seats/rail around the edge, rather than sides.

You can then get also sorts of mixes.

- Semi Trads with a large hatch that rolls over to cover the area at night (like a trad, only HUGE)

- If you have a Semi Trad or even a cruser, you can get a fitted tarpoline to go over the stern when you not on the boat.

- Ledgard Bridge do a "Modifyed Trad" which is sort of a nice mix of everything, half way between a trad and a semi-trad, but with crusier-type seats as well (see below)

Picture_2707.jpg

'ideal as a liveaboard' is a quote that facinates me... most boats are ideal as a liveaboard, some just need more work in order to liveaboard. My boat fell apart when I started living aboard - it was more geared towards holidaying where people don't tend to be indoors! I didn't mind though.

'ideal as a liveaboard' is a quote that facinates me... most boats are ideal as a liveaboard, some just need more work in order to liveaboard. My boat fell apart when I started living aboard - it was more geared towards holidaying where people don't tend to be indoors! I didn't mind though. Just bear in mind what facilities you want/need, and make sure that any boat you are going to liveaboard has all of it, or at least the ability to install it without discovering horrors.

Nobody seems to have mentioned that a Butty can be either a boat without asn engine, or a sandwich. Or a "motorised butty" which is usually a sandwich that someone has fitted a motor to.

The term "suitable for liveaboard" should mean that it has been fitted with plenty of batteries, a good charging system, maybe 240 volts, heating suitable for wintertime, and maybe a few conveniences like a wahing machine. But more often than not it can be taken to mean that the living area is just a big open space that you can add your own furniture to, rather than the fixed (but often convertible) furniture that you find on hireboats.

Allan

Is it possible to find a real bargain,or does the price generaly reflect the condition of the boat?

Ive been looking through apolloduck and Boatsandoutboards and have got a rough idea on what im looking to pay for the style/size of boat i want.Im looking at the bottom end of the market as i want to keep my costs down as im new to all this,and a rough price i have in my head is £25k.Going by adverts on those sites i should be able to find a reasonable boat.

But i couldnt help noticing the odd bargain on there,like around the £12-18k bracket.They dont mention any major problems like work needs to be done,just seem to be real bottom end of the market bargains.Does such a thing exist or do you think there is something wrong with a boat going for that price??

This is a big generalisation but you get what you pay for.

The lower the price the older the boat and probably the more work needs doing, if you can find the time go for a trip to a few brokeridges and actually see a boat in 'the flesh' just looking at photos' will not show the condition of the boat.

Is it possible to find a real bargain,or does the price generaly reflect the condition of the boat?

Ive been looking through apolloduck and Boatsandoutboards and have got a rough idea on what im looking to pay for the style/size of boat i want.Im looking at the bottom end of the market as i want to keep my costs down as im new to all this,and a rough price i have in my head is £25k.Going by adverts on those sites i should be able to find a reasonable boat.

But i couldnt help noticing the odd bargain on there,like around the £12-18k bracket.They dont mention any major problems like work needs to be done,just seem to be real bottom end of the market bargains.Does such a thing exist or do you think there is something wrong with a boat going for that price??

Hello junior

I've been looking for a boat for some time now. I've yet to see any bargains. What I have seen is the opposite, a lot of overpriced rubbish. Cheap boats are always cheap for a good reason in my limited experience. However that doesn't mean that bargains never exist. They do but as with anything they will be rare. If possible take your time and go to see as many boats as you can. When you find one that you want to buy, start off with a silly low offer, you never know and you can always increase it later. In any event it is essential to have a survey done on any boat that you are willing to buy which should reveal any problems. It will cost a few hundred pounds but especially on an older boat and for a beginner is vital.

A boat suitable for liveaboard should be one that has a lot of storage space, much more than one designed for leisure use. Thus liveaboard boats will tend to be the longer lengths. Moreover they ought to have much more equipment such as a generator, 240v high wattage inverter to run mains appliances, a good central heating system, washing machine, freezer perhaps and so on. Clearly if you are going to live on the boat, then presumably the more creature comforts you have the better, but that's just my view.

regards

Steve

if I were you I would do what I did. Look around brokers etc to get a feel for the different boats, and what the insides are like for the price - the great thing about brokers is they have all the boats. You may find something you adore at the right price too. I worked out what I wanted, then looked on apollo duck and found the one I have. It was certainly more for my money than I would have got, but then I did have to embark upon a huge DIY project. Whether the marina would have sold it cheaper as they would have realised this, I don't know. I doubt it would have changed the price.

If I was selling a boat I would go via a broker, if I did go through apollo duck I would get it valued first, and sell it for that - the boat possibly goes for the same price at the brokers, but the seller gets more privately as there is no brokers cut.

Surveys, condition, BSS will give you a good guidence (but don't get the survey done at the same place as the BSS). There are inspectors who will go and have a look at a boat for you, for a fee. Very handy.

Cheers,some good advive there.

I've mentioned this elsewhere,but i am hoping to keep my costs to a minimum. dont mean im going to go out and buy the cheapest boat i can find,but i dont nessaseraly need all the creature comforts.

Although im going to "liveaboard",it wont actualy be my only place of residence.I live on a RAF base during the week and will still have a room there after i purchase my boat.So its essential for the boat to have the washing machine,freezer etc that people who ONLY live on their boat need.Although i am going to spend as much time on the boat as possible i can still get all my laundry,store some of my clutter etc at work,along with getting my mail delivered there.

I still intend to spend as many evenings as possible,and every weekend on the boat so i do need to think about the sensible things like electric,hot water and heating and i certainly wont be penny pinching when it comes to this.

The conclusion ive come to is that i dont need to go out and spend £60k on a 70ft boat.I can prehaps look at the lower end of the market and think about a 45-50ft without as many creature comforts as what other people might be looking for on their dream liveaboard.

And possibly the most important thing ive noticed so far during my reasearch is that finding the right boat for me is not going to be half as hard as finding a mooring!!!!!!!!!!!

. . . half as hard as finding a mooring!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Junior

If you find a mooring in the area where you're going to need one - get it! You dont need a boat to have a mooring, they dont care as long as they've got their money.

Moorings are sold by length, so if you get a 50' mooring it means you cant have a 55' boat, at least not on that mooring!

But if you get a boat and you haven't got a mooring, you're naffed!

You haven't given any indication of where you are, and people need to know if you want moorings advice.

Peter

Hi Junior

If you find a mooring in the area where you're going to need one - get it! You dont need a boat to have a mooring, they dont care as long as they've got their money.

Moorings are sold by length, so if you get a 50' mooring it means you cant have a 55' boat, at least not on that mooring!

But if you get a boat and you haven't got a mooring, you're naffed!

You haven't given any indication of where you are, and people need to know if you want moorings advice.

Peter

Im going to be working in Peterborough (well just outside).IDEALY i'd like to find a residential mooring close-by,however as i have accomodation at my work if i need it,its not essential that ifs a residental mooring.

If i could find something withing say an hour or so's drive from Peterborough,then i would just go to the boat at weekends and the occasional evening when i feel like it.I'd also be staying there when i get weeks off,although im more likely to go exploring the cut rather than being static for the week.

I do believe this would mean i only need a Pied-a-terre (sp?) mooring which maybe easier to find,but as one of my reasons for wanting to liveaboard is to be a part of a community of boat dwellers i would still prefer a nice residential mooring alongside other liveaboards.