What Engine?

clovey

Featured Posts

This sounds familiar, I have the impression it's down to a bigger oil filter, is that correct?

I believe it is a larger/better filter system. The only other easy way is a lot larger oil capacity but I don't think that has changed. Baldock would be the man to ask for a definitive technical spec. I imagine it could mean that the filter housing and filter is a retro fit/upgrade but can't say for sure.

Edited by churchward

The 3 Cylinder Perk leaps about at low revs (not tick over), also at high revs and I am told that the unit normally has 4 engine mounts this has 6 rubber mounts. There is a small diesel leak somewhere on the feed to the injectors between the pump & the injectors themselves and this is in an impossible place to get to between the exhaust manifold and the block. The whole thing is a bit of an animal. If I thought an amount of money would fix these problems then maybe keep it, but something tells me it could be sorted then a few weeks / months later the problems with balance would return.

To be honest I'm searching for any advice I can get on the matter!

Hi Clovey,

i have a perkins 3.152 fitted in a 60' trad which has been solidly mounted i.e. on 4" oak bearers bolted to the shell. This apparently is the best way to fix a big lump like these. I had some over heating problems early which we eventually cured by replacing the head gasket. I find servicing the engine easy enough and bleeding the diesel system a doddle and i am no mechanic. The engine has been very reliable

My advice would be to get someone to advise on the price of the repairs and then make you decision.

cheers,

Steve

mmmmmm boring engines. Well if absolute reliability, smooth running instant starting, no oil use,no water use no hassle is boring ? then I would go for the Beta. This boat has one and I had one fitted on a boat a few years ago.

Of course if your idea of boating is Noisey, rattly may or may not start water using oil burning trouble then there are several alternatives !! :)

I have to agree with this - Have run a Beta 38 for 2800 hours and its never missed a beat, dosnt smoke, starts 1st time even at minus 10c, no oil use and economical too. All in all viceless and bombproof - Based on a Kubota industrial unit which is designed to plod on ever. Bets are an excellent, if somewhat unexciting choice. Would buy another but I think this one may outlast me!