3 PAYG price hike - seemingly???

Featured Posts

I have been a very happy 3 PAYG broadband user for a few months.

When on the boat with our current cruising pattern their £1.99 per day although expensive suited us. Especially as if you topped up you had internet until midnight the following day

We haven't been to the boat for three weeks and logging on today I noticed they are charging me £2.99 for the same service. An apparent 50% price hike.

I've obviously missed something - has the same happened to others??

Edit coz I got my maths wrong

Edited by MJG

I have been a very happy 3 PAYG broadband user for a few months.

When on the boat with our current cruising pattern their £1.99 per day although expensive suited us. Especially as if you topped up you had internet until midnight the following day

We haven't been to the boat for three weeks and logging on today I noticed they are charging me £2.99 for the same service. An apparent 33% price hike.

I've obviously missed something - has the same happened to others??

Hi

I usually get a £10 monthly top up so will watch this closely.

By my calculations your daily rate has actually increased by nearer 50% so even worse than previously thought.

I always used to use a £15 PAYG and usually that was ample for me for the 30 days, though sometimes it did not make the full 30 days. (I do have a website) I have just started a no ties 30 day contract called - 3G micro-SIM 1 months rolling contract that gives me 10GB for £15 per month.

I bought a 3 data sim loaded with 3 GB data which lasts for three months from the date you first use it (or until you use up the data), originally from Ebay but I see Amazon are now selling them cheaper - details here. When the data runs out, you either just top it up or chuck the card away and get a new one. Mine is just about to run out, so I will order a couple next time and then won't have to think about it for ages.

Has anyone tried the new premium 3 dongles, which are supposed to be superfast?

Edited by Mrs Humdinger

I bought a 3 data sim loaded with 3 GB data which lasts for three months from the date you first use it (or until you use up the data), originally from Ebay but I see Amazon are now selling them cheaper - details here. When the data runs out, you either just top it up or chuck the card away and get a new one. Mine is just about to run out, so I will order a couple next time and then won't have to think about it for ages.

Seconded, I am using 3 sims purchased from ebay; 3GB for 3 months and chuck it when it runs out. Looks like those have gone up a bit too though I think it was around £8.50 last time I bought some. For casual infrequent use I can't see that any other deal beats these sims.

Not tried one but any 'dongle' can be as fast as it likes, it is the quality of signal and number of users online that counts.

Mine (Orange) is capable of 7.2 Mb per second, never got any where near that, even in excellent signal areas.

It's a bit like the 'up to' quoted for landlines.

• Greenie 1

Not tried one but any 'dongle' can be as fast as it likes, it is the quality of signal and number of users online that counts.

Mine (Orange) is capable of 7.2 Mb per second, never got any where near that, even in excellent signal areas.

It's a bit like the 'up to' quoted for landlines.

Appreciate that signal, etc, makes a difference. 3 are advertising their "premium" dongle as being up to 40% faster than a standard dongle, and it has a wiggly bit you plug in which means you can move the dongle up and down which apparently increases the signal strength. Just wondered if anyone had tried one yet. I am considering a Mifi, so I don't have to stick the dongle out the side hatch as Mr Hum keeps tripping over the wire!

That is cheaper than my contract at £5 a month for 1G per month

Cheers Mrs. H - just ordered that 3 SIM from Amazon - even with my current sporadic usage on the boat it will work out much better value.

I am considering a Mifi, so I don't have to stick the dongle out the side hatch as Mr Hum keeps tripping over the wire!

Er, wont the MiFi still need to be plugged in to at least one of the PC/ laptops? That or a power supply so you will still have a wire going to the side hatch as the unit will still need to be outside if the signal is poor.

Er, wont the MiFi still need to be plugged in to at least one of the PC/ laptops? That or a power supply so you will still have a wire going to the side hatch as the unit will still need to be outside if the signal is poor.

No. It has a battery that lasts around 5 hours.

Ah, that would not last long for us. Between all the users I doubt we would get one days use out of it. I bet that is 5 hours max as well so low signal areas will use more power just like with a mobile phone that uses loads when looking for signals. On bad weather days our dongle gets very hot (so using more power). Sure I read that they could be run via a usb cable to save on batteries.