Question for ebay experts

PaddingtonBear

Featured Posts

This really one for either Carl of Moomin but I am sure that others will have a view. I am semi interested in a boat on ebay. It has had three bids which someone, presumably the vendor, has marked one declined (which admittedly was a very low bid) and the other two, which were fairly and very sensible, expired. Either it is an auction or it is not and yes the boat does exist as I have viewed it when it was on Boatshed. It is a executor sale and it is possible that the vendors agent wwants it for himself. Comments please.

This really one for either Carl of Moomin but I am sure that others will have a view. I am semi interested in a boat on ebay. It has had three bids which someone, presumably the vendor, has marked one declined (which admittedly was a very low bid) and the other two, which were fairly and very sensible, expired. Either it is an auction or it is not and yes the boat does exist as I have viewed it when it was on Boatshed. It is a executor sale and it is possible that the vendors agent wwants it for himself. Comments please.

To cancel bids without a good cause is completely contrary to eBays T&C's.

I have only ever done it twice in all the years I have been on Ebay and that was after I reviewed the bidders feedback which was appalling - I don't think other bidders can see this now so you will not be able to check if this might be the reason.

When you say the other bids expired - do you mean the auction completed but he didn't complete the transaction and has now re-listed it. If so this too contravenes eBay's T&C's abd should be reported to eBay - as to if eBay take any action - :unsure:

If it is a buy it now, or best offer sale then bids can be accepted or declined.

If it is an auction and the seller has removed a bid it may be because the bidder has dodgy or little feedback.

There are some circumstances where the bidder can retract their bid, but it is not allowed, in general (though in my experience it does happen and is very annoying).

I think there's some confusion going on here - sounds like the seller has a "Buy it Now" price and also "make me an offer" and he turned down the low offer and taken no action on the others so they have expired.

This is a approach that some people use on Ebay to get a gauge on the market.

Please post up the either an link or the Ebay number and I will have a look for you ( 10 years Ebay experience ! )

Anyway I guess you would never bid on a boat before you have seen it anyway - Caveat emptor

Boats on ebay is a very odd thing. So many end up re-offered for sale time and time again.

I don't agree with that Deleted, try typing boat into the search box on eBay and you'll see there are a good few bought and sold on there.

Unless it is for sale under the 'Buy it Now/Make an Offer' option. There is no obligation to accept any offer..... :closedeyes:

Indeed but I read the OP as being related to a straight forward auction though. Maybe if you could confirm either way PB?? as it does make a difference.

I don't agree with that Deleted, try typing boat into the search box on eBay and you'll see there are a good few bought and sold on there.

Oh, I'm regularly looking at boats on there. And the same ones will pop up time and time again with angry little notes like "been messed about AGAIN. YOU ARE BIDDING TO BUY!!!1!!".

:D

By odd, I mean it works in an odd way, not that it's an odd thing to do.

EBay is an auction site but also hosts classified ads and Buy-it-now offers. If it's on Buy-it-now or Make an Offer, it's not an auction.

If the vendor's agent wants it for himself, then make your offer known to the vendor/executor and advise that the agent has let the offer expire without explanation and you have yet to hear back from the agent.

I know someone who had a very similar problem with an insurance salvage sale, the authorised contact to show people around the boat was 'never available'. My colleage contacted the insurance company direct, veiwed the boat and bought it on the spot, it was sooo cheap a tidy 50' Hancock & Lane built 1979 with mainly smoke damage (fire was in bow locker) £5000

(if you have the info, go over his head!) B)

Good luck.

eta salvage

Edited by dave69700

There's a potential sting here, so be careful.

Sellers sometimes get their mates to keep bidding on an item, to bump up the value to 'market' level or beyond. Said mate then wins the auction but doesn't buy. The Seller then attempts to sell you the item as a direct sale, saying "the winner has pulled out". At which point you're no longer buying within eBay's terms and conditions, so you're not covered by anything, and the price you're paying is an artificial one.

Be careful!

There's a potential sting here, so be careful.

Sellers sometimes get their mates to keep bidding on an item, to bump up the value to 'market' level or beyond. Said mate then wins the auction but doesn't buy. The Seller then attempts to sell you the item as a direct sale, saying "the winner has pulled out". At which point you're no longer buying within eBay's terms and conditions, so you're not covered by anything, and the price you're paying is an artificial one.

Be careful!

- just to be 100% clear though if it's a 'second chance offer' made by the vendor to the next highest bidders through the eBay system you are covered. If it's a direct approach as you describe then yes spot on that is a risk.

and indeed 'shill bidding' as it's called is another thing that spoils eBay.

If this listing allows offers to be made then I don't see how you can see what the value of the offers are? I've just looked on ebay and can't see how much people have offered.

Send me the link to the auction and I'll try and tell you what's happening.

Things do appear strange on ebay at times if you're new to it. I've sold all sorts on ebay. Everything has worked out fine, even the things I wouldn't have thought I could sell on ebay.

Cheers,

Dave

If this listing allows offers to be made then I don't see how you can see what the value of the offers are? I've just looked on ebay and can't see how much people have offered.

The sale has now ended so the offers are now visible, I'm guessing.

"the other two [bids], which were fairly and very sensible, expired."

What does that mean?

If it is a BIN or Best Offer listing the vendor has 48 hours to accept or decline an offer.

If 48 hours passes, with no action, then the offer expires.

If it is a BIN or Best Offer listing the vendor has 48 hours to accept or decline an offer.

If 48 hours passes, with no action, then the offer expires.

Carl - are you sure that is correct? I always understood a seller was bound to accept a 'Buy it Now' price in the same way as they are bound to accept the highest bid in an auction - and was not asked to accept or decline it.

I've sold stuff with a BIN and can't ever recall being asked if I wanted to accept or reject it>>

Best offer yes - you can accept or reject them or offer a counter offer price - not at all sure it applies to BIN though. :unsure:

Best offer yes - you can accept or reject them or offer a counter offer price - not at all sure it applies to BIN though. :unsure:

The type of listing I am referring to is "Buy I Now or Best Offer".

If the buyer hits the "Buy it Now" button then, yes, it is theirs and the vendor has to sell.

Thanks to all for their help. It was originally posted as auction but now is classified ad. I guess the vendor wanted to gauge the market. It was originally on with Boatshed for 19995 and was advertised on ebay auction at this price (there is a similar one in Brighton for 29995 but that is totally unrealistic). I had a long conversation with the vendors agent and he admitted that it needs 5000 spent to bring it up to a reasonable standard BUT it is moored in Itchenor (5 year waiting list)and this might be transfered with a bit of a nod and a wink and it is only 1200 pa. This was of interest to me and I would have offered around 14000. Btw the advwert is like all adverts, economical with the truth.

Thanks to all for their help. It was originally posted as auction but now is classified ad. I guess the vendor wanted to gauge the market.

Certainly sounds that is exactly what they were doing - as said the seller has breached eBay's rules in not accepting the highest bid in the original auction but TBH I can't really say whether eBay should be informed as I am unsure these days about how strongly they enforce their own T&C's as I have had varying degrees of success over the years in making complaints to them.