Dartline Frobisher

Featured Posts

I'm not sure if anyone can help, I own a dartline frobisher (1970's) and I am desparately seeking to replace the rollers and runners for the sliding roof, however I have so far been unsuccessful. Any suggestions, advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance

Tracey

I'd guess that the reply you got on WW from Mark Langley is probably the best you're going to get. There was a very similar thread to this on here a couple of weeks back and I don't believe there was a satisfactory outcome to it.

Tony

As Dartline and Shropshire Union Cruisers have gone through several changes of ownership I doubt if you'll find much help there. Jannel Cruisers at Burton on Trent used to operate some similar boats with steel tops which I imagine used the same or similar mechanism. They're out of the hire trade now but still operate the moorings (although the chandlery is franchised out) and might be able to advise.

Otherwise do a google search for "broads hire boat sliding roof" - quiet a few matches and again I imagine similar if not identical mechanisms.

Good luck!

Paul

Edited by Paul H

I'm not sure if anyone can help, I own a dartline frobisher (1970's) and I am desparately seeking to replace the rollers and runners for the sliding roof, however I have so far been unsuccessful. Any suggestions, advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance

Tracey

I have the very same problem. I recently contacted Simon Jenkins who is part of Norbury Wharf Ltd to see if they had any old Dartline staff there who might know where they were sourced. Sadly they have either retired or passed-on so no luck there. He did say if he learnt anything on the subject he would let me know. I'm not holding my breath here! Only commented to save any duplication of effort.

Since the recent thread on this subject, I have been checking what is available in the way of substantial industrial rollers/trolleys that may stand modification and whilst I have shortlisted website/mfrs, I have not yet checked sizes etc or contacted them. I am hoping to borrow a sample of the side door rollers for the VW Type 4 vans which have, like our originals, a large roller and two 'stabilising' rollers on the assembly to see if they can be used. A further option is to replace both rollers and track (last choice) but at least the mechanism will be fully compatible with the track.

If you learn of anything suitable, please post back here, there'll be at least two other folk very grateful for info.

BTW what's the name of your boat? One of my colleageues is trying to make up a register of these (unusual) boats, of which there are three owned by our club members.

Dave, in case you've not seen it, the reply on WW was:

It might be worth contacting Anglo-Welsh at Norbury, to see if they have any left over- or immediate suggestions, as they were still running Frobishers in their hire fleet until fairly recently.

Another one would be to contact one or two of the hire boat yards on the Broads or Thames (for instance, Broads Tours [Herbert Woods] at Potter Heigham). They have many boats with sliding canopies, and can probably suggest (or even provide) suitable replacements.

The alternative, might be to replace the rollers, with a bearing rack, although this might be less reliable than a simple roller, though would make it much easier to open.

Jannel Cruisers in Burton upon Trent might have some suggestions- until their hire fleet was retired, they ran many boats with a sliding roof section over the saloon, using rollers (the original fleet included some GRP topped Frobishers- later included to the steel roofed Jannel boats).

Tony

I guess you didn't spot this recent thread then ? ... http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=37770&st=0&p=681432&fromsearch=1entry681432

I'm partway through a potential solution for worn roller wheels ... I've just ordered some UHMWPE rod in 30 and 35 mm diameter (hopefully one of the two sizes will be correct, given that the worn out size is 27mm) ... from http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/UHMWPE_Rod.html. It's my intention to cut slices of the rod to fabricate the new pulleys. I'll be looking for a means to replace the rivetted wheel axles next.

Dave, in case you've not seen it, the reply on WW was:

Tony

Thanks Tony, How old was that WW article? Norbury Wharf have taken over for some two? years+ now.

I have looked on a number of Broads cruiser sites/chandleries and found nothing. Jannel isn't too far away and I intend to pop in there on my way to Grantham, one of the days. (We're in Brum) Those with a bearing rack are intended for indoor use and would be open to the elements/water/grit etc and I don't think would last long. I can't go Graham!s route as only two of my rollers are originals, the other two being cobbled of from something else and seriously rusty (the nylon rollers' poor bearings allow the roller to wobble on it's axis)