ROYAL WEDDINGS - past and present!!

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

When Diana got married in 1981 Ed Greewood and myself were moored up at Upton on Severn suitably regailed. By the afternoon a few of the locals decided we were the best diving platform around!! The town was much fun and we did have much beer, rum and well - I cant remember much else :cheers: Sadly Ed is no longer with us, and apparently "Neptune" has vanished off the scene too, however CanalScape-BCN will be going to the Black Country Museum tomorrow from Wolverhampton to celebrate the day, we hope to be suitable regailed, we shall return to Wolverhampton after some sampling of local produce :cheers:

Happy day 29th july 1981:

gallery_5000_522_1701.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg

When Diana got married in 1981 Ed Greewood and myself were moored up at Upton on Severn suitably regailed. By the afternoon a few of the locals decided we were the best diving platform around!! The town was much fun and we did have much beer, rum and well - I cant remember much else :cheers: Sadly Ed is no longer with us, and apparently "Neptune" has vanished off the scene too, however CanalScape-BCN will be going to the Black Country Museum tomorrow from Wolverhampton to celebrate the day, we hope to be suitable regailed, we shall return to Wolverhampton after some sampling of local produce :cheers:

Happy day 29th july 1981:

I was tied at Cut End (Autherley Junction) during the Charles / Diana wedding in 1981, my butty receiving repairs to its cabin having being 'modified' under a low bridge on the southern section of the Staffs & Worc's Canal. The boatyard carrying out the repairs, Water Travel, was closed for the day and I passed my time in the boat club supping free beer until the inevitable drunken stupor took over.

I shall be spending tomorrow's wedding in bed as I am working night shifts at a Teesside chemical plant. By choice I no longer drink alcohol so this historic wedding will simply pass me by.

So off we went to the Black Country Living Museum, TV fitted up so crew could watch the wedding, BBQ on board etc. Our only fear was that there would be a shortage of moorings .........

We couldnt believe we were the ONLY boat there, the museum was dead too with very few visitors on the site, they had a large screen TV fixed up with two people watching it, a huge period themed street party which I hope was sold out on pre booked tickets but when we left there still wasnt many folks about. Suprised to see so few boats, those we did pass had no decoration and one got the feeling that not too many people were celebrating. So what was it like in your patch?

all on our own!

gallery_5000_522_150607.jpg

Well, there were a few people around The Mall, but in the main - Television, the internet, and their own homes have usurped the social gatherings for celebrations. Pubs have become wine bars, bistros or closed (and few have local regulars to any extent). And there's something about 'The Royals' that has left a bitter after taste, though the young couple are wished the very best as are all.

We have street parties (Bristol anyone?), but widespread celebrations like of the 1937, and 1952 Coronations are unlikely to be re-kindle such as to gather together communities. It's a shame too, as the further we are dragged (or is it pushed) into EU compliance by our own incompetent and complicit political leaders, the more individual groups will band together - but for what purpose?

A splash of the triumph of love in troubled times is indeed needed.