Cabin lighting

Featured Posts

Hi l was wondering if l could buy some wall lights from maybe B and Q and install thwm in my boat . can l wire them up tp my 12v and how do l do this if l can. I dont want to run them off the 240.

any help would be appreciated.

KS

It all depends ...

I don't think there are 12v equivalents for bulbs with BC, ES or SES connections. There are 12v versions of halogen spotlights but the 12v and 230v lamps have different connections. The led equivalents for the halogen spots have the same connections as the halogen lamps they replace - i.e. different 12v and 230v connections.

You may be able to buy the 12v connectors in an electrical supplies shop - I know you can buy the 230v versions. This would probably enable you to convert the light fittings to take the 12v lamps.

I know I haven't covered all the possible lamp options here but I have browsed B&Q's stock from time to time with this in mind.

You may still be able to buy light fittings that use 12v lamps and come with a transformer, but they seem to be less common as the lamps are now readily available in 230v form. If you can get 12v lamps with a transformer you can just ignore the transformer.

It all depends ...

I don't think there are 12v equivalents for bulbs with BC, ES or SES connections. ..

There are direct plug-in replacements for BC and SBC bulbs. We've got the Halogen bus bulbs in 3 of our lamps. Literally all you have to do is to change the bulb and connect the existing wire into the 12v supply.

I don't know about ES and SES though

We have small 12v standard bayonet bulbs in the (240v) wall lights on our boat, they are known in the trade as "bus bulbs"

162.jpg

Still obtainable from Caravan spares outlets or eBay :- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RING-809-BULB-12V-24W-BUS-BOAT-INTERIOR-LIGHTING-PK-2-/390227216177?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item5adb5ac731

Thanks. most of that went right over my head lol..

L won't be fitting them myself. wify says l am not safe to mess with the electric.

she knows best eh!!

I just saw some that l like the look of and wondered if l could have em in the boat. the boat ones l have seen are not very nice and they are all plastic.

one thing though. do we use all the wiring in the 240 ones ot leave some of it out. l know the 12v only seems to have two wires in it.

sorry to seem thick but l really am :blush:

KS

Thanks. most of that went right over my head lol..

L won't be fitting them myself. wify says l am not safe to mess with the electric.

she knows best eh!!

I just saw some that l like the look of and wondered if l could have em in the boat. the boat ones l have seen are not very nice and they are all plastic.

one thing though. do we use all the wiring in the 240 ones ot leave some of it out. l know the 12v only seems to have two wires in it.

sorry to seem thick but l really am :blush:

KS

Personally, despite being a qualified electrical engineer who ought to know better, I just use the flex it came with and wire it straight into the 12v circuit (and before any smart a**e should ask, yes the fuses are suitable)

well is that safe then? and do you need to change the connecter for the bulb. to take 12v bulb.

don't think l wanna do this now :( knowing my luck will set fire to the blumin boat. :wacko:

Ks

Just put a 12v bulb in the socket and connect it to the 12v supply, it'll be fine honest!