Rubbish

jonk

Featured Posts

This question is aimed at those who cruise continuously for several months.

Do you have any system that you think works particularly well for temporarily storing rubbish/garbage? Also how/where do you dispose of it?

In the past I have used plastic supermarket bags and then put these in the bins which occur at some points along the system, or at supermarkets etc., but you might have some better suggestions?

John

Do you have any system that you think works particularly well for temporarily storing rubbish/garbage? Also how/where do you dispose of it?

In the past I have used plastic supermarket bags and then put these in the bins which occur at some points along the system, or at supermarkets etc., but you might have some better suggestions?

John

we don't cc but have one of these-

mr_fusion.jpg

I used a bin and passed rubbish points far more often than the bin man comes round the house.

Thanks.

By bin do you mean a full-size dustbin or just a kitchen bin? Are rubbish points found at any particular places? I don't recall passing any that caught my eye, or nose, on my trip from Reading to Llangollen. I might not have known what to look out for though!

I understand that bin men are becoming scarce in some towns :lol:

John

we don't cc but have one of these-

mr_fusion.jpg

Wow - that looks impressive! Is it a garbage compressor/liquidiser? If it is where do you get them and do they work well?

John

Edited by jonk

Is it a garbage compressor/liquidiser? If it is where do you get them and do they work well?

they are quite hard to find actually but if you really can't locate a rubbish point between Reading to Llangollen then you will struggle to locate one I'm afraid.

We've cc'd for nearly two years now and find the carrier bag hanging on a peg in the kitchen works well for us. There's plenty of rubbish disposal points along the canal at the sanitary stations. When we're moored for a while in the sticks we find a suitable bin when we go shopping.

Recycling has been much more challenging.

John

In the Winter, we burn a lot of rubbish on the stove - mostly cardboard, paper and certain waste food such as eggshells, bones and fat. It is amazing how much heat this sort of waste can produce. The rest we try and recycle wherever possible - although many of the canalside recycling bins provided by local councils have been removed to save on costs.

We had one of those but the flux capacitor got crossed with the galvanic isolator ...

it happens all the time, they need a separate earth apparently. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

By bin do you mean a full-size dustbin or just a kitchen bin? Are rubbish points found at any particular places? I don't recall passing any that caught my eye, or nose, on my trip from Reading to Llangollen. I might not have known what to look out for though!

John

There are usually rubbish bins at all the elsan points. They're often hidden round the back of the buildings.

I just have a small kitchen bin which i empty whenever i stop for water/elsan. If it gets full before then i tie it up & stick it on the front deck.

Supermarkets have them too.

It's more irksome carrying round the recycling cos there aren't many BW points so that mostly waits till i pass a big supermarket

We've cc'd for nearly two years now and find the carrier bag hanging on a peg in the kitchen works well for us. There's plenty of rubbish disposal points along the canal at the sanitary stations. When we're moored for a while in the sticks we find a suitable bin when we go shopping.

Recycling has been much more challenging.

Are you me?

they are quite hard to find actually but if you really can't locate a rubbish point between Reading to Llangollen then you will struggle to locate one I'm afraid.

Can I point out the preview post button - it's in between 'add reply' and 'cancel'.

What it does it show you your post as it will appear on the forum.

This is also a good opportunity to consider your response before posting.

Can I point out the preview post button - it's in between 'add reply' and 'cancel'.

What it does it show you your post as it will appear on the forum.

This is also a good opportunity to consider your response before posting.

So you added what between

and

There are usually rubbish bins at all the elsan points. They're often hidden round the back of the buildings.

I just have a small kitchen bin which i empty whenever i stop for water/elsan. If it gets full before then i tie it up & stick it on the front deck.

Supermarkets have them too.

It's more irksome carrying round the recycling cos there aren't many BW points so that mostly waits till i pass a big supermarket

and missed the bit where he said -

John

You also didn't pull Carl or Alan up on their responses which essentially said the same thing.

How strange...

Thanks - seems like my system of bags is the norm from what has been said. Good tip about the rubbish bins being behind the elsan points in some cases - thanks, I probably missed those!

Actually I found that disposing of the stuff was quite easy, but keeping bags of it on board could be a nuisance on a smallish boat - it's amazing how much apparently useless wrapping is used on items, which then has to be stored and then disposed of!

I was hoping that someone had a solution that I hadn't thought of. The (nuclear powered?) compactor/ liquidiser looked promising but I would be afraid of a meltdown :lol:

John

Thanks - seems like my system of bags is the norm from what has been said. Good tip about the rubbish bins being behind the elsan points in some cases - thanks, I probably missed those!

Actually I found that disposing of the stuff was quite easy, but keeping bags of it on board could be a nuisance on a smallish boat - it's amazing how much apparently useless wrapping is used on items, which then has to be stored and then disposed of!

I was hoping that someone had a solution that I hadn't thought of. The (nuclear powered?) compactor/ liquidiser looked promising but I would be afraid of a meltdown :lol:

John

John - forgive some of our 'edgy' responses you really need to get a set of Nicholsons's guide's or a Peasron's or for free down load waterscape guides from the net they show you were all the disposal points are...as does the BW sineage....

In the Winter, we burn a lot of rubbish on the stove - mostly cardboard, paper and certain waste food such as eggshells, bones and fat. It is amazing how much heat this sort of waste can produce. The rest we try and recycle wherever possible - although many of the canalside recycling bins provided by local councils have been removed to save on costs.

Thanks - my new boat will have a solid fuel stove so that option will open for me :cheers:

John

John - forgive some of our 'edgy' responses you really need to get a set of Nicholsons's guide's or a Peasron's or for free down load waterscape guides from the net they show you were all the disposal points are...as does the BW sineage....

Thanks! I will certainly do so!

I must admit that my post was also aimed to help other new boaters that might come across this problem, but I thought that a few tips might be forthcoming that would be of help to me as well.

Thanks again for your help. :cheers:

John

Can I suggest you substitute "our" for "my"? Every other poster has added helpful responses rather than belittling the OP.

• Greenie 2

Can I suggest you substitute "our" for "my"? Every other poster has added helpful responses rather than belittling the OP.

Belittle?? - you think so - I think he got the point of a little gentle leg pulling don't you?

I see my point was not too complex for Ange

why does that not surprise me....

Belittle?? - you think so - I think he got the point of a little gentle leg pulling don't you?

Gentle leg pulling :lol: If it had come from many other forum members maybe, but from you with your history of antagonistic posts - particularly those aimed at new forum members, as the topic title says - rubbish!

Gentle leg pulling :lol: If it had come from many other forum members maybe, but from you with your history of antagonistic posts - particularly those aimed at new forum members, as the topic title says - rubbish!

Ange the OP hasn't complained so why on earth do yo feel the need to??. and as for

"- particularly those aimed at new forum members,"

really?? I don't think so - feel free to post some up though.

Is a late evening/early AM spat with you going to become a bi-nightly feature of CWDF?? - I do hope not.

ETA - To note that the OP joined the forum in July 2009 and has 372 posts - hardly a new forum member.

Edited by MJG

Wot I do is use the local waterside pub, then ask the landlord/ady if I can put a couple of bags of rubbish in their bin.

Usually there is no problem with that.

Recycling? Naaah. Don't bother. I hauled for the recycling industry for a few years. It's all crap. It costs far more to recycle than it does to bury.... and there is plenty of landfill left.

Tone

The ones at our nearest major water point weren't removed to save costs but because so many people were putting general waste in - meaning that the whole lot ended up in landfill. We've managed to hang on to the ones at the mooring by having a key to the bin so that only the local boaters can use it - you would not believe (only you probably would) the stuff that appears in our bins. Never seen windows like that on a boat...