Chemical Arm Junction - Oldbury - BCN

stuart

Featured Posts

Has anyone else noticed that a transport company in Oldbury (West Mids) has infilled an arm/basin on the BCN old main line?

Map Linky

If you look at the map link above, the 4 boats in red and the large shed are now gone, along with the water, which has had several hundred tons of hardcore dumped into it!

How have they managed to get away with this ?

(The area is next to the A&D aquatics store if anyone is familar with the area)

Is this the same bit?

From the BCNS site:

November 2008:- Rumour has it that the owners of the land the two arms at Valencia Wharf stand on, Hollaways Transport are planning to fill in the Arms and either park more lorries or even sell up. The Arms are private water so BW have little say in this plan but local Groups and BW are in the process of writing to Hollaways to object to the loss of yet one more piece of canal heritage. Hollaways themselves used to be canal carriers so it is strange that a company steeped in canal history should be destroying there own roots.

Although BW have no say in the matter they have involved the Local Authority Sandwell who have stated that the infilling of the Arms would require planning consent, and that no such application or consent has been made to date.

Boats are presently moored at the Wharf but it is understood have been given notice to quit. At a time when there a shortage of long term moorings on the BCN it seems strange that it is more profitable to fill in the arms?

http://www.bcn-society.co.uk/

Tone

I has been a long standing issue, Tone is quite right the BCNS have been trying to raise awarness to this for a few years.

It was filled in last June when we went past, looked a right eyesore. If my tiny memory serves me right it was filled in "over night" before all the appeal processes had been exhausted.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to correct me

I went past last year and noticed that half of the water had been filled in, but a couple of weeks ago, the whole lot had gone right back to the canal main line.

Try here:

Clicky

Thanks,

My link

Love the comment on the councils decision "would not materially harm the character or appearance of the area"

- ah well! :angry:

Has anyone else noticed that a transport company in Oldbury (West Mids) has infilled an arm/basin on the BCN old main line?

Map Linky

If you look at the map link above, the 4 boats in red and the large shed are now gone, along with the water, which has had several hundred tons of hardcore dumped into it!

How have they managed to get away with this ?

(The area is next to the A&D aquatics store if anyone is familar with the area)

Discussed here a couple of years ago:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20222&st=0&p=333212&hl=+valencia%20+wharf&fromsearch=1entry333212

Tim