Bilge water

Brian Mitchell

Featured Posts

OK not the most interesting topic but --- we have just bought a Birchwood 25 river cruiser and had it transported to our nearby Marina where it has been winterised and is laid up on blocks. There is water in the bilges and the previous owner says there is no bilge pump - is this normal and is it safe to leave water (which will surely freeze from time to time)? Any suggestions as to what we should do?

you need some form of bildge pump, even if its hand held jobby

- a bit of water is fine, it will not freaze, becuase it it at the bottom of the boat, next to the canal water, which doesnt freaze.

- but do obviously need to get most of the water our, or else it would evenlaylly just fill up and sink.

daniel

What I would suggest is FIT A BILGE PUMP,

And if someone says don't bother - ignore them and fit one anyway.

It doesn't take much of a drip over an extended period to have your pride and joy nestling on the bottom.

Once that's done, then work on finding where the water is coming from, and cure that. Then move on to the next thing to cure, and so so on ad nausea. Ain't boats great.

Personally I'd get the water out of the bilge if your leaving it out of the water for the winter. Birchwood's are well built and the freezing shouldn't split anything, but it's best no to have any in there in the first place. That way you know when you have a problem when there is some in there (if that makes sense).

Hi Brian, and welcome.

First get a 2'' hole saw and cut a hole in the lowest point to fit a bath plug, this means whenever it gets water in you just pull the plug and let it out, but dont forget to put the plug back before moving off. :):)

But seriousley you need to get it out or it will enter the fiber layers and start to blow them open, first you need to find where it is coming from, probably above the water and running down into the bilge.

I had a Norman 20 back in the 70s brand new and that leaked so bad they gave me a replacement.

Yes Rusty i remember back in the late 60s early 70s some workmen pulled the one in the canal in Retford out, they found a length of chain and pulled it out to remove it and there was a plug on the end.

ar yes John im'e sorry i still can't get the habit of talking in mm, someone asked me today how big did i want the sky dish and i said like the ones on the side of houses you know about 600cm.

That sounds like a challenge! How did you know I've a couple of days off work (with a stinking cold) and nothing better to do than trawl the Internet for pictures I can doctor?

So now, we want a tug style narrowboat with sufficient space for a 600cm dish, a helicopter and a Ferrari and the equiment required to crane the car on and off. And you want a paint job as well?

I'm going back to work. It's easier.......

Edited by Paul Evans

• 1 month later...

Sean.

Assuming it is not rainwater! 3-4 inches in as many days seems excessive, it is doubtless due to leakage from the stern gland on the propeller shaft. Pump out as much water as you can then confirm that water is coming through the gland and dripping into the bilge.

If that is the problem, release the lock-nuts and tighten the two nuts on the gland by equal amounts a flat at a time until the dripping stops. This should happen at a stage not much more than finger tight.

If this does not cure your problem get the builders to come out and sort the problem, they should not have delivered the boat in that condition, but make sure you are there, learn what the problem was and what it took to fix it.

Edited by John Orentas