Satellite dish type TV options

DeanS

Featured Posts

Hi all.

My father in law wants to access as much sport as possible from the boat. (UK football etc). I see some boats with little white hat shaped sat dishes etc. Can anyone give me some options I could look into. BQ were selling a dish package..but I think it was for fixed installation in a house. How does a sat dish solution work in a boat that is constantly moving along day to day? Is there a workeable web option? Many Thanks.

Hi all.

My father in law wants to access as much sport as possible from the boat. (UK football etc). I see some boats with little white hat shaped sat dishes etc. Can anyone give me some options I could look into. BQ were selling a dish package..but I think it was for fixed installation in a house. How does a sat dish solution work in a boat that is constantly moving along day to day? Is there a workeable web option? Many Thanks.

Dean have you done a forum search???

But yes you can get sky (which you will need to get UK football - dodgy eBay receivers excepted) , yes you can get it as you move along and moor, you need a dish and the ability to locate the sat as you set it up each time.

Small dishes are less susceptible to boat movement.

Edited by MJG

Yes this one has been done to death a number of times and very recently, so there is lots of current information available if you search.

But basically there is no fundamental difference to having satellite TV at home (why would there be?), except that you need to align the dish each time you stop.

Edited by john6767

or if you are really rich you can get an fully automatic one.

The only problem with any dish is getting a clear line of sight to the satellite.

A movable one is better (magnetic mount) as it is easier to move the dish than the boat when something is in the way.

Hi all.

Hi....The only place to find loads of SPORT channels is unfortunately on SKY which will require a SKY subscription done via a sky receiver...

There are however free to air sports channels on other staellite namely EUROSPRT on Astra 1 but its the German version, or RAINSPORT an Italian sports channel on Hotbird both these channels are free to air as we speak,

Martyn.....

Hi all.

Hello Dean

I've got one of the 'white hats' --- a Camos Dome.

I got fed up of the daily ritual in the wind & rain of setting up the dish. With the Camos you switch it on,it finds the sat, you switch it off. As long as there is nothing to block the signal you get a perfect picture.

You can use it with Sky or Freesat.

You can also get one that you can use on the move, but who would want that?

Tony

Hello Dean

I've got one of the 'white hats' --- a Camos Dome.

I got fed up of the daily ritual in the wind & rain of setting up the dish. With the Camos you switch it on,it finds the sat, you switch it off. As long as there is nothing to block the signal you get a perfect picture.

You can use it with Sky or Freesat.

You can also get one that you can use on the move, but who would want that?

Tony

Hi Tony. Since it seems my Father in law REALLY wants to keep up with UK footie, it would seem I do need to explore the SKY option. Any idea what the process would be...do I buy the Camos Dome, and then sign up for a monthly plan of some sort with Sky thereafter...? Without really doing much googling, I'm imagine the Camos is more expensive than the Maplin option..(manual setup)....

ok, I just checked ebay for Camos....I cant afford THAT Ebay Link :) My budget would be about £100 maybe :)

Edited by DeanS

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I have just discovered that if you have an XBOX360 which my kids have, linked to a wireless signal, such as a Three MIFI, which we have, it is possible to use the Windows Media Centre and view the Sky Player. If we then purchase a Sky package of some sort, we should be able to view live football. I'm sure this will chew internet bandwidth, but he'll have 15Gigs to play with (@£17 a mth). It would eliminate the need to tune into the satellite, plus any hardware costs. This COULD be a solution...

Hi Tony. Since it seems my Father in law REALLY wants to keep up with UK footie, it would seem I do need to explore the SKY option. Any idea what the process would be...do I buy the Camos Dome, and then sign up for a monthly plan of some sort with Sky thereafter...? Without really doing much googling, I'm imagine the Camos is more expensive than the Maplin option..(manual setup)....

ok, I just checked ebay for Camos....I cant afford THAT Ebay Link :) My budget would be about £100 maybe :)

Yes, the dome was paid for from the contents of the swear box while setting up the dish that I used to have.

It matters not what you use to receive the signal, you still need a Sky or Freesat box & a TV.

The only thing with Sky is that you have to agree to be connected to a phone line for 12 months.

I know that we used our card after the 12 months, I don't know how you would get on starting from scratch.

Tony

Dean, few people can afford or want to spend that much on getting TV into the boat.

So you are back to a bog standard dish and a Sky box.

Your FIL can simply move his existing Sky box onto your boat along with his viewing card. Connect it to a Sky dish, which you will have to manually align each time you stop, it's not hard - I've never done it but watched a few boaters do it and with the right kit costing just a few quid you will have a TV signal in minutes.

However - note - small dishes are better as I have found out on here, and there is the potential for a lost signal as the boat moves, the potential for this is greater if the.dish is pointing left (port) or (right) starboard rather than fore or aft.

I know that we used our card after the 12 months, I don't know how you would get on starting from scratch.

Tony

I read it as his father in law already likes his footy he has a sky box and subscription which he can bring onto the boat.

and who checks the phone connectivity anyway???

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I have just discovered that if you have an XBOX360 which my kids have, linked to a wireless signal, such as a Three MIFI, which we have, it is possible to use the Windows Media Centre and view the Sky Player. If we then purchase a Sky package of some sort, we should be able to view live football. I'm sure this will chew internet bandwidth, but he'll have 15Gigs to play with (@£17 a mth). It would eliminate the need to tune into the satellite, plus any hardware costs. This COULD be a solution...

FFS I give up...

Dean, few people can afford or want to spend that much on getting TV into the boat.

Your FIL can simply move his existing Sky box onto your boat along with his viewing card. Connect it to a Sky dish, which you will have to manually align each time you stop, it's not hard - I've never done it but watched a few boaters do it and with the right kit costing just a few quid you will have a TV signal in minutes.

However - note - small dishes are better as I have found out on here, and there is the potential for a lost signal as the boat moves, the potential for this is greater if the.dish is pointing left (port) or (right) starboard rather than fore or aft.

ok..so my choices so far would be:

1. Buy a maplin or similar 46cm dish kit

2. Sign up with Sky (we dont have an account)

3. Get a SKY box.

4. Point dish and connect.

OR

1. Use a connection via the XBOX/Wireless/Media Centre/SKY Player

2. Sign with Sky (we dont have an account)

3. Use a portion of his Three MIFI bandwidth.

FFS I give up...

:) Yes he likes his footie, but he doesnt get it at the moment. Not a SKY client yet.

ok..so my choices so far would be:

1. Buy a maplin or similar 46cm dish kit

2. Sign up with Sky (we dont have an account)

3. Get a SKY box.

4. Point dish and connect.

OR

1. Use a connection via the XBOX/Wireless/Media Centre/SKY Player

2. Sign with Sky (we dont have an account)

3. Use a portion of his Three MIFI bandwidth.

I don't know Dean I've lost the will to live...

I read it as his father in law already likes his footy he has a sky box and subscription which he can bring onto the boat.

and who checks the phone connectivity anyway???

FFS I give up...

Yeah you're right..

few people can afford....or want unless..they are a millionaire..

Oh yeah..thats me...

Actually..the Camos is not just a quick fix...for Sky wanters..

It locates 8 different sateliites...Eutelsat..Hotbird..astra 1...2...Sirius etc..

Not to everyones taste..buy essential on the Evans boat...as essential...as a pump out toilet.

Bob

BTW....enjoy your blogging :)

Must admit when he told us he was retiring I fully expected a daily blog update from him detailing the minutiae of his life, but its not been updated since early january, probably his role with the Citizens Advice Bureau is keeping him busy :cheers:

There is another option for Sky sports 1 & 2, if that is what you need for your fill of football, and that is Top-Up TV on Freeview. I would have thought you would just add a CAM module to an existing Freeview TV, plus a decoder card, but the Top-Up TV web site seems to be more geared at providing you with a Freeview box as well, and it looks VERY expensive to me compared to Sky.

So to take this thread slightly smiley_offtopic.gif does anyone have any experience with using a CAM module in Freeview TV's and getting additional channels (that they are prepared to admit to blush.gif)?

How about Radio5 or Talk Sport?

I can't see the Sky TV over mobile broadband working,

You'll need a really good mobile signal.

Does anyone know much bandwidth an hours tv would use?

If I remember correctly 1GB will give you about 30 minutes of BBC Iplayer or ITV catchup .

Mark.