Cables, Connectors and crimp tools

waterat

Featured Posts

Don't go cheap on the crimp tool - get a good quality ratchet one, they are about 1000 times better than the other type, I love using mine - in fact I have been known to rewire things just for the hell of it.

Someone will be along shortly to discuss solder joints.

I also use VWA

I use rapid - rapidonline.com

I use their uninsulated crimps with heat shrink cover

and the cheap uninsulated crimp tool from VWP which if used carefully - ie with the semi-circular notch - makes a neat and professional crimp.

The crimps with heat shrink covers are definitely the ones to use. I am surprised that boat builders don't make more use of them for tunnel lamps, horns and engine bay wiring which can be exposed to moisture.

Someone will be along shortly to discuss solder joints.

Don't solder. The solder will wick up the wire and makes it go stiff. It then fatigues and breaks due to vibration. You don't find soldered wire joints on aircraft or cars for that reason. A good crimp from a calibrated tool forms a cold weld - that's why you need to use a ratchet tool, not a cheap pair of pliers and you need the correct crimp tool for the terminal you're crimping. For the typical red/blue/yellow terminals the crimpers shown earlier are ideal, just make sure you use the right size terminal for the wire your using.