Where are we?

Allie

Featured Posts

Must be Ledgard bridge then...

Ahhhh, that all makes sence now!!

And you can even see the orange floats just at the left!

Now if you'd given us this shot...

image58wo.jpg

[edit]

Also, that is the weirds lock ive ever seen!!

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

How about this one? Any takers?

MysteryAllie4.jpg

That's a dead easy one...

Little Venice, in London, Where the Paddington Arm branches off the Regents Canal.

Left takes you to the main Grand Union.

Top Right through Maida Hill Tunnel, towards Regents Park, Camden Lock, Etc

Bottom Right to Paddington Basin

Surprised it's mostly wide beam boats in the piccie, though...

It's quite big - they have demoed water skiiing around that island...

Alan

Edited by alan_fincher

That's a dead easy one...

Little Venice, in London, Where the Paddington Arm branches off the Regents Canal.

Left takes you to the main Grand Union.

Top Right through Maida Hill Tunnel, towards Regents Park, Camden Lock, Etc

Bottom Right to Paddington Basin

Surprised it's mostly wide beam boats in the piccie, though...

It's quite big - they have demoed water skiiing around that island...

Alan

Prince Albert's Island, I believe it is called, we were there in October. That's the first and only one I've even had the vaguest idea about so far !

Prince Albert's Island, I believe it is called, we were there in October. That's the first and only one I've even had the vaguest idea about so far !

I thought about just showing the island, but that seemed too difficult. I guess not!!

Allie

Dont think its called that at all. It might be called Brownings Island as its in Brownings Pool (although the island, pool and the entire Little venice area used to be known amongst the more struggling locals as Rats Island. The rich and upper classes who live there, and BW, wouldnt like it though, cos it'd put a dent in those overtly gross profits they get for property there!)

Edited by fender.

Dont think its called that at all. It might be called Brownings Island as its in Brownings Pool (although the island, pool and the entire Little venice area used to be known amongst the more struggling locals as Rats Island. The rich and upper classes who live there, and BW, wouldnt like it though, cos it'd put a dent in those overtly gross profits they get for property there!)

Yes, you are right - I knew it was someone famous ! It was named after the poet...

"An island in the centre is called Browning's island, after the poet Robert Browning who lived nearby."

http://www.timetravel-britain.com/columns/.../london04.shtml

Hi, see excellent informative website

www.penninewaterways.co.uk/sheffield/ will permit you to take a virtual cruise from Sheffield to the River Trent through Sprotborough / Doncaster, a wide waterway throughout. Between Rotherham and New Junction canal (Bramwith Jct) to East of Doncaster, the locks were enlarged for 700 tonne barge traffic, the locks are electrically worked by boaters now that the lock keepers have gone as has the barge traffic (as far as I know it has all gone?). The length of these locks is abouth 210 feet I think - Jim Shead's site will advise dimensions. A 50ft narrowboat looks rather lost in them. At one time I lived in Lille (N France) 10 minutes walk from an enormous lock several times the size of these.

Although I live in Doncaster, have only lived here for 7 years and but rarely see boats passing on these canals. There is a good canalside pub/restaurant called the Boatman visible in the Sprotborough picture to west of the lock and roadbridge on North bank - very busy on Summer weekends. For canal atmosphere I tend to visit Thorne, but Doncaster redevelopment is to include a revamped waterfront area to make this area link to town centre, expect the former canalside buildings to disappear or be converted. May get some more moorings though?

Look forward to cruising it on my own boat one day.........

Neil

Thanks, Neil.

Really informative, and what a good site that is you pointed me at.

Very different from most canals of my experience.

May be many years before we get somewhere like this, but at least I feel a bit more educated :rolleyes:

Oh, and latest picture....

Not the slightest idea, I'm afraid :P

Just found this - it's certainly a good game.

Just one request, please can we make sure that the google logo and the © notice remain in view. Thanks :rolleyes:

Sure, but we will take out the latitude and longitude or there won't be a game!!

Allie