Grey Metal Stoves

Amwris

Featured Posts

Hiya Folks.

Currently I heat my 56' boat with a Bubble stove and back boiler to two rads. This system works OK though the Bubble does seem to have a narrow band of effectiveness. To low it soots up and too high it soots up and wastes fuel.

I cook using gas and am pondering fitting a multifuel range with a boiler heating a calorifier and a decent sized rad in the main cabin for next winter. (summer cooking via a gas hob and grill).

I've spotted these "Grey Metal Stoves" and wondered whether this could be the very thing for the job?

http://greymetal.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=9&products_id=98

Any thoughts very much appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

I notice that the stove requires a flue of 4.5 metres, which I would have thought would be a bit difficult on a narrow boat.

lol! What a nob. Oh well back to the drawing board. Mind you why that length of flue when other ranges seem to cope with shorter lengths?

Cheers

Phil

lol! What a nob. Oh well back to the drawing board. Mind you why that length of flue when other ranges seem to cope with shorter lengths?

Cheers

Phil

Ha evil plan! When I'm on my winter moorings I can have a flue any length I want. :-)

Hi phil, have a google for prity stoves, haven't got a link to hand. Have one about to go in a tug, very reasonably priced IIRC

Regards

dan

Cheers Dan. Definely worth considering. How much?

Regards

Phil

Ha evil plan! When I'm on my winter moorings I can have a flue any length I want. :-)

It seems to me that the 4.5 metre thing is a standard disclaimer that stove manufacturers make on the assumption that the stove will be fitted in a building.

Of course, in a narrow boat it's a bit more tricky but the essential physics of stoves don't very from one manufacturer to another.

You just have to accept that the stove won't draw as strongly as it would with a full height flue so will be a bit more difficult to light and regulate.

It's one of the reasons that the choice of fuel is more critical in a boat.

Regards

Arnot

It seems to me that the 4.5 metre thing is a standard disclaimer that stove manufacturers make on the assumption that the stove will be fitted in a building.

Of course, in a narrow boat it's a bit more tricky but the essential physics of stoves don't very from one manufacturer to another.

You just have to accept that the stove won't draw as strongly as it would with a full height flue so will be a bit more difficult to light and regulate.

It's one of the reasons that the choice of fuel is more critical in a boat.

Regards

Arnot

Yes, for example if you look at the Morso Squirrel installation specs it will also state a minimum of a 3.5 or 4m total flue length. However, in my experience the larger a stove, in terms of its kW output, then the more critical the minimum flue length becomes.

The only thing I would say about these Grey Metal stoves is that they are twin-wall convection stoves made of steel, rather than cast iron stoves. I don't know anything about convection stoves. I know that some are very good but I think that's the main issue - which is better for you, convection or cast iron (or just single-wall steel).

For a cast iron stove, one looks for a good thick casting, accurate means of controling air intake, etc. and well known manufacturers tend to produce good quality stoves. If you choose a convection stove then you need to find out what constitues good quality in that type of stove.

Edit: It could be that the minimum flue length is a more important factor with a convection stove - you should check this with some suppliers of both types.

Edited by blackrose