River Thames - Moorings

Woollymishka

Featured Posts

Pedant!

(Yes, of course!).

I don't think it's all that pedantic at all to point out that one doesn't necessarily have to go non-stop from Limehouse to Teddington as you stated.

It may be obvious to you and I because we've both done the trip several times, but I don't think we should assume it's obvious to everyone else.

3 Day for 18.2m is £32

Its done on length not area

Thanks Julian.

Edited by blackrose

The EA do have some 24 hr free moorings but best advice is to get there early in the day. When we bought our short term EA licence we were given a booklet with such information in it.

So why don't BW's Gold Licence applicants get this?

Hi..done the run several times including this ...2010..year.

We used Nicholsons guide which shows moorings. As the Thames is wider..its often easier to overshoot a mooring with ' overnight £4' signs...and see whats around the corner..on the basis you will be able to turn. This is the case at Sonning..where there are signs...'phone this number'..and they charge £10 a night for a bit of bank !!..whereas through the lock are free moorings. If you go to the meadow at Letchlade....before the bridge..which is as far as you can get...I have never had to pay...but there are signs on the field before that where you pay £3 for some reason. There are no signs on the meadow...and I have never had to pay there ?..I asked this year in town..and they said no charge.

In summer peak..its advisable to leave yourself time in case the moorings are getting full... it is often the case that some **** head in a plastic boat has moored right in the middle of a huge space to block it off for his plastic boat mates..and keep out narrowboats.

Narrowboatists are just as guilty of this as cruiser owners are. How often do you find NB's moored on popular spots with 15ft gaps between them and the next boat?

Its much the same as drivers who plonk their cars in the middle of empty laybys rendering the rest of the layby unuseable :angry:

Narrowboatists are just as guilty of this as cruiser owners are. How often do you find NB's moored on popular spots with 15ft gaps between them and the next boat?

Its much the same as drivers who plonk their cars in the middle of empty laybys rendering the rest of the layby unuseable :angry:

Quite often it is because the boats moored in front and behind have moved on. I am not adverse to asking a boater to move up in that situation. But I have seen a boat club outing moor at Goring and deliberately space their cruisers so no-one else could get in.

Tone

Quite often it is because the boats moored in front and behind have moved on. I am not adverse to asking a boater to move up in that situation. But I have seen a boat club outing moor at Goring and deliberately space their cruisers so no-one else could get in.

Tone

But this isnt just limited to cruiser owners.

Thats a bit like saying all BMW owners dont indicate.

Narrowboatists are just as likely to moor inconsiderately as any other group of boaters.

But this isnt just limited to cruiser owners.

Yes it was. There were no narrowboats on that club cruise.

Narrowboatists are just as likely to moor inconsiderately as any other group of boaters.

Generally I disagree. In my experience narrowboaters will usually moor to the same bollard or ring, as the next boat. Certainly on the Thames cruisers tend to moor with several yards between them.

But, there are of course exceptions in both camps.

Tone

Narrowboats on the whole are very much the minority on the Thames. Finding a suitably sized mooring is always going to be more difficult than for a shorter boat.

We have of course witnessed inconsiderate mooring from both camps, but having a short boat we have never failed to find a mooring, depsite the best efforts of some to limit mooring adjacent to them.