2 Week Trip in May

The Fish

Featured Posts

We've a trip planned over two weeks in May which will take us from Norbury Junction via Stourton Junction and Netherton Tunnel then to Birmingham where we hope to spend two days visiting the Black Country Museum and Gas Light Junction. We then plan to go to Worcester Via the Tardebigge Flight returning to Norbury Junction Via Stourport.

I'd be grateful for advice as to safe moorings in the Birmingham Area and also details of any areas to avoid on the rest of the trip.

The Fish (New Member)

Hi fish,

When I pass through B'ham, I like to stop at the Mailbox wharf which is on the 90° bend of the Worcs & B'ham canal. So if you are going from B'ham to Worcester, it is on the left where there are 2 mooring spots right outside bars and eateries.

Also a Tesco Metro is very close.

They allow 24 hour mooring but if you would like 48 hours, then you have to register. No problems there, it takes 2 - 3 minutes. I have been there about 4 or 5 times and no problems at all.

Try not to moor too near to the Worcester Bar as you may well get disturbed.

The site is covered by CCTV and foot patrols are very evident.

Do NOT moor at the Commandery in Worcester as you may well be disturbed. We were cast adrift from there at 1 a.m.

No problems mooring at the Black Country Museum if there is space.

Merryhill Shopping Centre is good for mooring and shops and eateries are abundant.

Colin

p.s. Enjoy your trip

We've a trip planned over two weeks in May which will take us from Norbury Junction via Stourton Junction and Netherton Tunnel then to Birmingham where we hope to spend two days visiting the Black Country Museum and Gas Light Junction. We then plan to go to Worcester Via the Tardebigge Flight returning to Norbury Junction Via Stourport.

I'd be grateful for advice as to safe moorings in the Birmingham Area and also details of any areas to avoid on the rest of the trip.

The Fish (New Member)

Last year we moored overnight about a mile south of Stourton Junction, and just to the west of Merry Hill, and several times on the central Birmingham visitors moorings (our favourite place is on the Main Line south bank as far away from the junction as possible, just before the Oozells Street loop comes back in - 5 day moorings I think, and definitely quieter than anywhere else around there but still just a couple of minutes walk away), also at the Black Country Museum. We had not a hint of any problem at any of these locations.

I agree with Colin, don't moor at the Commandery in Worcester. Also it's not generally recommended to moor overnight anywhere between the Mailbox and Kings Norton Tunnel. Almost anywhere else is fine - have a good trip

Allan

...Black Country Museum...

My boat's moored there, come and say hello!!

I've not had any problems with BCM, the waterfront (merry hill) or Birmingham. I normally moor near the Sea Life centre in Birmingham, 48hr moorings and full CCTV. Fairly quiet around there.