Pathe film Anderton Boat Lift 1964

charles123

Featured Posts

I have seen photos of the Bridgewater tugs before but not actually on film, clearly in 1941 Pathe was not going to disclose it was the Bridgewater canal. Pathe says location of events unknown but I recognise some of the locations including "the tank"

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=12072

Charles

• Greenie 3

Probably Grandma and Egg sucking, but censorship prevented naming anything other than London in many instances. This was especially so with the bombing of towns, everyone has heard of 'The Blitz', and it's always London that is mentioned. But just about every town from Edinburgh to Dover, Plymouth to Glasgow got plenty - no names though, for fear of giving Jerry a helping hand, and demoralising the populace. Much more here.

I have seen photos of the Bridgewater tugs before but not actually on film, clearly in 1941 Pathe was not going to disclose it was the Bridgewater canal. Pathe says location of events unknown but I recognise some of the locations including "the tank"

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=12072

Charles

Thanks for that interesting clip. I've only seen stills before.

I thought the bridgewater tugs were steam powered but the clip of Todmorden seems to sound and look like a diesel engine and the exhaust is behaving consistently.

Were some re-(diesel)engined in later life?

I thought the bridgewater tugs were steam powered but the clip of Todmorden seems to sound and look like a diesel engine and the exhaust is behaving consistently.

Looks like steam to me given the smoke/size of chimney and engine man looking out of the side hatch but someone on here will know, but just a related point I noticed that the throttle appeared (if that is what it was) to be set into the roof next to that fine Klaxon, the steerer was twirling it as he went passed the camera, would not a steam engine speed be controlled by the engine man?

Charles

• Greenie 1

9 mph! That's my kind of boating.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=48349

Which boat is this? Looks like a woolwich with the top bends cut down.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=710

I wonder how many people died before they abandoned this idea?

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=10531

Edited by Speedwheel

Looks like steam to me given the smoke/size of chimney and engine man looking out of the side hatch but someone on here will know, but just a related point I noticed that the throttle appeared (if that is what it was) to be set into the roof next to that fine Klaxon, the steerer was twirling it as he went passed the camera, would not a steam engine speed be controlled by the engine man?

Charles

I think it could be a diesel exhaust pipe in the centre of the funnel. It certainly looks that way at 36 seconds.

Diesel exhausts up the centre of steam type funnels were once quite common.

They still built London lighterage tugs with funnels well after going over to diesel.

I agree with your comments on what appears to be a throttle control (for a diesel) and steam engine being driven from inside by an engine man.

Of the 26 Bridgewater Canal tugs at least 21 were converted to Widdop semi-diesel power between 1927 and 1928.

Which boat is this? Looks like a woolwich with the top bends cut down.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=710

Small Woolwich motor STAR, renamed WATER RAMBLER. The conversion was carried out by Thames Launch Works and the boat initially kept its top bends and fore deck (presumably removed so passengers could see out of the front window). I looked into buying this boat in 1988 when it still had the same conversion as seen in the film. I decided against buying STAR as the cost of rebuilding the fore end, along with everything else, would have been prohibitive - especially as there were other boats on the market at the time and we bought a Large Woolwich pair instead.

STAR has since passed through a few different owners and has subsequently been de-converted and had the fore end rebuilt.

the pair motor is hampstead and the butty is no 223 so next name after ayr (222) but i don't have the books close by

223 is BAILDON.

Edited by pete harrison

thanks pete!!

might even be 3 as the tied up one isn't identifiable

?

Clearly identifiable as the Grenville. Is that a young John Anderson with the hair? ;)

The Joshers motor isn't identifiable, so far as I can see.

Interesting how tatty the admiral class boats have become in their short lives, about 5 or 6 years by 1964 I think.

Tim

?

Clearly identifiable as the Grenville. Is that a young John Anderson with the hair? ;)

The Joshers motor isn't identifiable, so far as I can see.

Interesting how tatty the admiral class boats have become in their short lives, about 5 or 6 years by 1964 I think.

Tim

durr!! forgot which boat by the time i'd written it - i blame it on the JD!!!

I wonder how many people died before they abandoned this idea?

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=10531

The remains of this experiment are still traceable in Kiddiminster, on the towpath are the stumps of the overhead and one tie off bolt remains above falling sands lock. At 550 volts DC I reckon a few got singed heads!!

Health and safety eat your heart out!!!!!

The remains of this experiment are still traceable in Kiddiminster, on the towpath are the stumps of the overhead and one tie off bolt remains above falling sands lock. At 550 volts DC I reckon a few got singed heads!!

Health and safety eat your heart out!!!!!

Thanks Laurence. Facinating.