fitting a boat for living

station tug

Featured Posts

hi, iv been away from the cut for many many years and it appears things have moved on alot..i plan to live on my boat full time.at the moment it is a steel shell with the engine sat on the bearers....whats the best way to insulate it?? and how much is it likely to cost for each option?..as for heat i was planning to use a reflex derv heater with radiators and an eco fan i have built an internal tank into the cabin..my days of converted joeys with wooden cabins have long sinse gone and i want to be warm these days..

hi, iv been away from the cut for many many years and it appears things have moved on alot..i plan to live on my boat full time.at the moment it is a steel shell with the engine sat on the bearers....whats the best way to insulate it?? and how much is it likely to cost for each option?..as for heat i was planning to use a reflex derv heater with radiators and an eco fan i have built an internal tank into the cabin..my days of converted joeys with wooden cabins have long sinse gone and i want to be warm these days..

OK I'll put the target up first.

Spray Foam insulation, cost I don't have a clue.

Diesel heater with a large independant diesel/heating oil tank and a solid fuel stove mounted half way down the day time living accommodation with back boiler and gravity fed radiators.

Shoot me down

OK I'll put the target up first.

Spray Foam insulation, cost I don't have a clue.

Diesel heater with a large independant diesel/heating oil tank and a solid fuel stove mounted half way down the day time living accommodation with back boiler and gravity fed radiators.

Shoot me down

I'm broadly in agreement:

1 Sprayfoam is standard for insulation.

2 Heating/hot water.

I've gone for a Kabola E-3 for hw and background ch.

The E-3 is diesel fired and supplied from it's own tank.

This was chosen for it's simplicity, reliability and zero power consumption on gravity circulation. It is not programmable instant start though.

3 Solid fuel stove in saloon.

This will provide a focal point and independent back up heating system on another fuel source.

Sprayfoam is going to be more expensive but if your goal is trouble free, warm living aboard then its a must.

If you can afford two stoves then go for it because belt and braces are best as illustrated by the current weather circumstances

Just had 20 feet of cabin space and 13ft of under tug deck sprayfoamed for £650. The job's been done well but, to be honest, I'd still be tempted by Celoxtex/Kingspan boards in the future. I think you get a more even thickness and less mess (no cutting back). And it's cheaper. Having used it for houses I think it's pretty easy to cut and fix. But this one has been argued through many times here so you can do a search for opinions.

Edited by starman

Just had 20 feet of cabin space and 13ft of under tug deck sprayfoamed for £650. The job's been done well but, to be honest, I'd still be tempted by Celoxtex/Kingspan boards in the future. I think you get a more even thickness and less mess (no cutting back). And it's cheaper. Having used it for houses I think it's pretty easy to cut and fix. But this one has been argued through many times here so you can do a search for opinions.

The spray foam guys work on "average thickness" and this usually ensures you have the e value of insulation paid for. Big plus over all other insulations is it is bonded to the shell so no sneaky condensation getting in between. In my view.

The spray foam guys work on "average thickness" and this usually ensures you have the e value of insulation paid for. Big plus over all other insulations is it is bonded to the shell so no sneaky condensation getting in between. In my view.

Drive a pin through a small square of plywood and use it as a depth gauge before the spray company leaves site. That what I did after they had to come from Wales to Suffolk to redo my boat, first time it was like a coat of paint in places.

Drive a pin through a small square of plywood and use it as a depth gauge before the spray company leaves site. That what I did after they had to come from Wales to Suffolk to redo my boat, first time it was like a coat of paint in places.

i do like the idea of spray foam and the knee's in my boat are made from 3"x4"x10mm so plenty of room to get a nice thick covering..i was thinking that if i spot weld some 2" rod around the hull and cabin i'd be sure to get a thick covering of foam..because of the size of angle iv used would it be worth using 2" poly under the floor for extra insulation??? my original plan was to have a trad back cabin but as i have four large dogs im going to make the back cabin into a dog area so i dont have the hair n smell in my living area..so a coal/wood stove isnt an option at the moment..

Clearly the choice of heating depends on the way the boat is to be used. For me I have chosen gas ALDE for the following reasons;

The boat will be in a marina in the winter with 240v and the Alde will take the 240v to heat the water for the central heating rads

I can run the heating on a timer so it comes on and goes off when I want

When not hooked up, low power draw, silent, maint free (they claim), small & reliable. No more expensive to buy than the other options. I will not have a coal stove on the boat because I dont like the mess in tending and cleaning it and storing the bags, nor do I like the idea of a fire on the boat, there is always the risk of something nasty happening

If I did not chose Alde then the next choice would be the oil dripper as has been suggested, and last by a mile is Mikuni, Eberspacher etc

I estimate gas will cost about 25% more than diesel which on face value is a lot but in the overall cost of running a boat is acceptable

I should also add that I will have a heat exchanger to heat the radiators when the engine is running

Charles

Edited by charles123
  • Greenie 1