Washing machine on the move

nb celestine

Featured Posts

If you have a 1800 watt modified sine wave inverter and your washing machine wont work unless on a landline, what would happen if the washing machine was working off the genny and batteries charging through a 3 stage charger, and you decided to go off for a cruise for a couple of hours with everything running?

Go easy on me. Paul.

If you have a 1800 watt modified sine wave inverter and your washing machine wont work unless on a landline, what would happen if the washing machine was working off the genny and batteries charging through a 3 stage charger, and you decided to go off for a cruise for a couple of hours with everything running?

Go easy on me. Paul.

IIRC ours is a Stirling 1800 watt inverter which runs the washing machine but necessitating that the engine is running so that the alternators are feeding the batteries that the inverter is drawing on. The genny I cary around is too small to run the washing machine but I could run it as well with mains chargers on to reduce the load on the engine. So what was the queston? Depends upon your set up!

Would it be easier to find a launderette? Most marinas have one.

Sue

Would it be easier to find a launderette? Most marinas have one.

Sue

I would have thought for most people not very convenient that's why you build the facility into the boat :banghead:

IIRC ours is a Stirling 1800 watt inverter which runs the washing machine but necessitating that the engine is running so that the alternators are feeding the batteries that the inverter is drawing on. The genny I cary around is too small to run the washing machine but I could run it as well with mains chargers on to reduce the load on the engine. So what was the queston? Depends upon your set up!

I would have thought for most people not very convenient that's why you build the facility into the boat :banghead:

What I really wanted to know was, would it harm the batteries or the alternators if genny and engine were running at the same time?

I,m not on a marina, by the way.

Regards, Paul.

What I really wanted to know was, would it harm the batteries or the alternators if genny and engine were running at the same time?

Regards, Paul.

Well as I was implying for my set up it would do no harm. Obviously you would be running chargers from the genny and not any inverter thus aiding the alternator(s) by providing amps to the batts that the inverter can use for the washing machine.

I do have access to a 2kw generator that I presume would run the washing machine by itself but it is awkward to stow and set up to use. We only use the washing machine when cruising for long periods so I fitted a second alt so that the engine running suffices. I have been carrying a 650w genny for emergencies but for charging inbetween engine running have been experimenting with lawnmower engine driven alts/dynamos. There is a thread just starting on 'economic generation' and its my way of getting around that lengthy period at the end of charging without using the engine.

Think about it logically and about where the power is coming from and going to and I think you'll find you are not harming anything by running engine and genny concurrently but the caveat is that only you know how easy it is (and safe) to do so monitoring both at the same time, especially if under way.

It depends what you want - I considered one, I nearly got one fitted, but the small ones you can get for boats cost a fortune, only do a half-sized load and you've got to mess around with invertors and gennies. So I now have a big bucket with a lid and a spin dryer (which runs off a cheap invertor) for when I can't get to the launderette. If you use First mate guides and/or the Aylesbury canal society launderette list, it's not hard to schedule in launderettes when you're travelling around. I usually do the shopping at the same time. What takes a couple of hours to wash and dry in a launderette would take an entire day to do on a boat in one of those pip-squeak machines - without even drying it. But if you're organised enough to do a wash a day, or you can find space on board for a domestic sized machine or a proper twin tub, fair play to you. I prefer the extra cupboard space. :)

It depends what you want - I considered one, I nearly got one fitted, but the small ones you can get for boats cost a fortune, only do a half-sized load and you've got to mess around with invertors and gennies. So I now have a big bucket with a lid and a spin dryer (which runs off a cheap invertor) for when I can't get to the launderette. If you use First mate guides and/or the Aylesbury canal society launderette list, it's not hard to schedule in launderettes when you're travelling around. I usually do the shopping at the same time. What takes a couple of hours to wash and dry in a launderette would take an entire day to do on a boat in one of those pip-squeak machines - without even drying it. But if you're organised enough to do a wash a day, or you can find space on board for a domestic sized machine or a proper twin tub, fair play to you. I prefer the extra cupboard space. :)

There's always more than one way of skinning a cat. The OP was not asking for an alternative to using the washing machine he already has but asking if running his engine and genny whilst washing would damage anything. In that context I viewed SUEB's comment as unhelpful to the OP whilst accepting and respecting her different approach, etc

I would have happily not had a washing machine on board but the wife wanted one and the wherewithal to run it.

I presume the OP is endeavouring to not draw too much out of the batteries that has to be replaced 'not on the move' and get into that charging forever to get back to 100 per cent SOC hence my other comments.

SUEB's and your comments are pertinent to those who have no washing machine and possibly to the OP if he blows his electrics which is what he was asking about?

• Greenie 1

There's always more than one way of skinning a cat. The OP was not asking for an alternative to using the washing machine he already has but asking if running his engine and genny whilst washing would damage anything. In that context I viewed SUEB's comment as unhelpful to the OP whilst accepting and respecting her different approach, etc

I would have happily not had a washing machine on board but the wife wanted one and the wherewithal to run it.

I presume the OP is endeavouring to not draw too much out of the batteries that has to be replaced 'not on the move' and get into that charging forever to get back to 100 per cent SOC hence my other comments.

SUEB's and your comments are pertinent to those who have no washing machine and possibly to the OP if he blows his electrics which is what he was asking about?

Wasn't having a go, honest. Don't get me wrong if I had a widebeam I'd be straight down Costco for a vast washing machine and a 9kg load tumble dryer.

Wasn't having a go, honest. Don't get me wrong if I had a widebeam I'd be straight down Costco for a vast washing machine and a 9kg load tumble dryer.

No problemo

Just to cross fertilise from the Economic Generation thread

I have a similar sized bat bank on my off grid set up.

In summer I can mostly ignore the system as the 1.2kwp solar (produces upto 7kwh per day) keeps it well charged.

In winter we need to recharge about every 3 days on average.

some stats

bat bank 12v 1550ah 5c (so about 2000ah at 20c) so thats 19kwh 5c or 25kwh 20c

(ex used forklift cells 6 x 2v)

daily consumption in winter up to 4kwh

max charge via victron 120amps

We NEVER go below 50% SOC

Now the interesting bit.

Re charge times

every 3 days about 4-6 hours, this get us to 100% soc but the bat's are still accepting up to 30amps (2% of bat capacity)

(whilst this looks slightly short remember that we still get some PV power in winter & our 4kwh daily use include the power used when the genny is running)

every 3 to 4 charges 6-8 hours, again 100% soc but down to sub 20 amps (1.3% of bat capacity)

monthly 12 hour aprox charge down to sub 10 amps (0.6% of bat capacity)

Now I can here you all screaming about running the genny / engine for 12 hours BUT here is what we do

First off genny day is washing day ALWAYS inc tumble dryer if needed

This alone pays for the fuel from saving having to pay at a laundrette.

then genny day is:-

DIY day (power tools)

phone charging day

other bat charging day (cordless tools,mp3's, torches etc)

freezer super cool fast freeze day (save on power the next day).

Borehole pumping day

So far we have been doing this for about 2 1/2 years.

1200watts solar at up to 120vdc

FX80 solar controller

Victron 12v 3000w 120amp

200w (250w peak) 12v turbine as a tester

6kva genny

6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C

Edited by blodger

No problemo

Just to cross fertilise from the Economic Generation thread

I have a similar sized bat bank on my off grid set up.

In summer I can mostly ignore the system as the 1.2kwp solar (produces upto 7kwh per day) keeps it well charged.

In winter we need to recharge about every 3 days on average.

some stats

bat bank 12v 1550ah 5c (so about 2000ah at 20c) so thats 19kwh 5c or 25kwh 20c

(ex used forklift cells 6 x 2v)

daily consumption in winter up to 4kwh

max charge via victron 120amps

We NEVER go below 50% SOC

Now the interesting bit.

Re charge times

every 3 days about 4-6 hours, this get us to 100% soc but the bat's are still accepting up to 30amps (2% of bat capacity)

(whilst this looks slightly short remember that we still get some PV power in winter & our 4kwh daily use include the power used when the genny is running)

every 3 to 4 charges 6-8 hours, again 100% soc but down to sub 20 amps (1.3% of bat capacity)

monthly 12 hour aprox charge down to sub 10 amps (0.6% of bat capacity)

Now I can here you all screaming about running the genny / engine for 12 hours BUT here is what we do

First off genny day is washing day ALWAYS inc tumble dryer if needed

This alone pays for the fuel from saving having to pay at a laundrette.

then genny day is:-

DIY day (power tools)

phone charging day

other bat charging day (cordless tools,mp3's, torches etc)

freezer super cool fast freeze day (save on power the next day).

Borehole pumping day

So far we have been doing this for about 2 1/2 years.

1200watts solar at up to 120vdc

FX80 solar controller

Victron 12v 3000w 120amp

200w (250w peak) 12v turbine as a tester

6kva genny

6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C

Have you built the cost of the washing machine and the cost of things to run it into your costs?

Sue

Regards, Paul.

No, depending on which reaches absorption charge first either the charger or alternator will reduce their charge. When on bulk charge both will contribute to running w/m and charging batts.

Well said Blodger.

The thing is I inherited the Candy washing machine when we bought the boat a year ago and as we are going to CC in January probably, the Mother in Law has a Honda 5hp genny like I use on the building site which I can have foc.

I just thought if I do decide to take it on the boat, the girlfriend could do the washing while we are cruising rather than moor up and upset the neighbours with the noise.

Like I said, the previous owner said the washer wouldn't work on the inverter even on the move.

Looking on a thread tonight, I may even consider selling the Candy washer and buying a new twin tub.

As no-one has said I will damage anything, I,ll take it that I wont.

Come on Andy Carroll and England.

Regards Paul and Kath.

Well said Blodger.

The thing is I inherited the Candy washing machine when we bought the boat a year ago and as we are going to CC in January probably, the Mother in Law has a Honda 5hp genny like I use on the building site which I can have foc.

I just thought if I do decide to take it on the boat, the girlfriend could do the washing while we are cruising rather than moor up and upset the neighbours with the noise.

Like I said, the previous owner said the washer wouldn't work on the inverter even on the move.

Looking on a thread tonight, I may even consider selling the Candy washer and buying a new twin tub.

As no-one has said I will damage anything, I,ll take it that I wont.

Come on Andy Carroll and England.

Regards Paul and Kath.

My washing machine is a Candy but the studio (smaller) version (Can't remember the numbers) and that works fine with the Sterling modified sine wave jobbie. Perhaps your is a different model with more electronics in it that only work with perfect sine wave?

Make sure you do not have the inverter feeding the mains at the same time as the genny!

Do not forget you use a lot of water so will need to fill up after washing.

Enjoy

Have you built in the cost of shoe wear and or fuel and cost of the odd mugging to get to launderette? :P

Posted Yesterday, 04:23 PM from the twin tub thread

Anyone have any experience of using this model (or something like it?) I must confess that after almost 4 years of hauling laundry up and down the towpath to rapidly disappearing (and generally shoddily maintained) Laundrette's, I'm very interested in becoming self-sufficient in this regard.

Have you built in the cost of shoe wear and or fuel and cost of the odd mugging to get to launderette? :P

Yes.

As each load costs £4 to wash & £4 to dry, never mind the £3 worth of fuel for the car just to get there & back.

Even at two loads per week (which for us is about right with 3 adults & one child) thats £988 per year. Our total fuel costs for the year for the genny is less than £500. So even in year one we could buy a new washer & dryer.

Yes.

As each load costs £4 to wash & £4 to dry, never mind the £3 worth of fuel for the car just to get there & back.

Even at two loads per week (which for us is about right with 3 adults & one child) thats £988 per year. Our total fuel costs for the year for the genny is less than £500. So even in year one we could buy a new washer & dryer.

You missed the cost of replacing the genny. Is being mugged for the dirty washing a common occurrence? As there are only two of us we wash our clothes less frequently.

Sue