Waterways Blogging System

nbtafelberg

Featured Posts

Ok

I used to have a Blog on MSN but I decided that it was not flexible enough...so er

I wrote my own but its specifically aimed at boaters. Anyways if you'd like to try it I'm not charging (apart from donations) so I'd really like some ideas / feedback.

The web address is

LINK REMOVED - unfortunately it appears the site was taken over by a nudist website. I have e-mailed clevett to let him know - Jon

This is NOT advertising cos its free.

Sorry Paul, I don't get it.

I'm not inclined to build my own website, but I've got a build log on this forum.

There are also cruise diaries and photo galleries here, and an ever-expanding waterways community, so what else are you offering?

Ade.

Hi Ade

Well thats great if you can build your own site but not everyone can. Also as time goes on I'll be building searching facilities and indexing so we can categories things more.

In terms of hosting , I've got a big server farm. Also as its database driven that should help.

In the future it will have MANY more features including photo galleries, more control over layout (you can use straight HTML).

Microsoft sell blogs for 6.99 a month and so do many others, I just fancied a go at creating a blogging system of some sort.

The opatunity to have your own blog? for free.

Daniel

There are lots of places to blog for free, and other hosts that offer all sorts of things. However I imagine the reward of building your own is pretty good fun. I can see it would be useful to have one server that hosts boat blogs - but I doubt it would be free.

Well this blog system is Free, there is a donations bit if you like but otherwise its just free.

Right, I signed up and it looks really simple to use and is definately user friendly for all the sorts of things anyone would want to post - images, links etc. Excellent work Paul.

How can I unsign up?

Edited by Bones

Well done Paul. I've registered a blog, however I'll sort it out, and upload some content later.

Like Fuzzy, I too can't understand the negativity of some people.

Well I can.. Jon has set up build blogs, cruise areas etc.. on this site so really by linking to it from here it is just taking away users from canalworld... as it would if i posted links directly to my forum which i have..

It looks good though.. and i'm sure lots of people will use it.

Like Fuzzy, I too can't understand the negativity of some people.

I wasn't being negative, merely asking what it was all about, and what Paul is offering that Canal World isn't.

I can't (or have no desire to) build my own website, and have set up a build log here merely for the interest of those of whom I'm asking advice, and whose help I sincerely appreciate.

Other than that, it all seems a bit egocentric and I, frankly, can't see why Joe Public should have any interest in little me. OK, now I'm being negative, but each to his own.

Edited by Moley

I think its really great that paul has designed a blogsite and is allow us to use it for free.

As for egocentric, i dont think so at all.

- I have a website about emilyanne, not for me, but for others.

For instance, if i was out on the canal, and saw a steamboat, the first thing i would do when i got home would be to jump on the computer, fire up google, and see what else i could find out about the boat, and maybe also contect the owner to ask questions about there boat.

- and so now, if someone like me see's emilyanne, a fewm mins on goodle and they can find my sight and find out more about the boat, and even email me about it.

Daniel

Right Daniel

Thats the point - the forums are great but sometimes when I'm on a new site or talking to someone I want to say "go look here" and they can find my blog and see what i'm all about....

It could be seen as ego centric or just sharing, the great thing about blogs is you can use them how you like, they are a way of keeping all your friends informed of whats going on ... a lot of folk at my work (in my other life!) read my blog, I didn't know they did till one guy made a comment.

ANyway - its free, take it or leave it, love it or hate it (sounds like marmite?)

I've made a bit of a start :P

Please PM me for the link ... or go to the links section (link is currently being approved) or go to pauls homepage for the blog service and click on the justcanals one (it is currently in the latest 5)

Anyway good job Paul

Edited by Sam