Gearbox price guidance

OldGoldy

Featured Posts

Hi guys, how would one value a Hurth HBW100 gearbox to sell.

The mechanical condition is unknown but is said to have been rebuilt, and unused since then.

Markings are HBW 100 -2R, iA=1,79 iB=1,86 :help:

Edited by dave69700

The mechanical condition is unknown but is said to have been rebuilt, and unused since then.

I had a quote from an offical ZF (=Hurth) repairer to overhaul an HBW150 for £650 ... and i've seen new units for up to £1300. Also, NOS for about £800 IRRC, but if yours is of uncertain condition then I guess it might be best to invite offers or auction ?

A lot will depend on whether there's proper evidence of rebuild. If you can prove it, and by whom, then probably a good percentage of (discounted, not list) new price. Otherwise, 50 quid? :o

Tim

Are Hurth's as bad as the impression I,ve gathered in recent times?

I get the impression their ratings tended to be on the 'optimistic' side, especially for canal boat use. Generally a good idea to go for a size above the one that has a sufficient rating. I was given that advice well over 20 years ago by Peter Jones (founder of Midland ****dlers), when we were buying a Vetus/Mitsubishi engine from him for a new boat. It worked in that the gearbox has never given a hint of trouble in that time, apart from working loose on the adapter plate once.

They were taken over by ZF a while ago, I've read somewhere (so it may or may not be true) that ZF have made some improvements to the Hurth design.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I get the impression their ratings tended to be on the 'optimistic' side, especially for canal boat use. Generally a good idea to go for a size above the one that has a sufficient rating.

They were taken over by ZF a while ago, I've read somewhere (so it may or may not be true) that ZF have made some improvements to the Hurth design.

Tim

;)Thanks Tim

Yeah rubbish ... mine needed new clutch surfaces after only 19 years ;)

Just as I thought ;)

Edited by soldthehouse

I had a quote from an offical ZF (=Hurth) repairer to overhaul an HBW150 for £650 ... and i've seen new units for up to £1300. Also, NOS for about £800 IRRC, but if yours is of uncertain condition then I guess it might be best to invite offers or auction ?

Thanks guys,

....the reconditioner's tags have gone, but we can trust the integrity of the original owner,

(who, I'm told, bought a new box due to time constraints (boat sold)).

So, I guess it's auction time! :unsure: