Adding Extra Height & FItout Cost

Sockpuppet

Featured Posts

I thinking about moving aboard a NB and wondered if you'd be so kind as to indulge a few questions of mine. I've had a search and nothing has come up that answered what I wanted to know.

So my questions are:

How much would it cost to fit out a sail away of say 55-60ft. Ok, how long is a piece of string comes to mind. But in rough terms of general to good finish what should I budget? I'd be doing all the work myself from lining onwards - being self employed means I have the time free to dedicate to it. Part of my reason for wanting a sail away is that it would make a nice project for me and my old man who used to be a engineer on a cargo ship and is batty about all things nautical - plus he's cheap labour ;)

Height wise what would adding an extra 2" of headroom to a "standard" NB do in terms of where I can cruise. At 6'3" I'm not tiny, all the holiday lets I've been in I've had to stoop a bit and just wondered what asking for another 2" of headroom on the build would compromise on - more comfort but what about tunnel/bridge clearances in the Canals local to Leicester.

The basics are I'm 27 have around £40k saved up to spend on a boat (might do more via loan if needed but not wanting to), been living with the parents for the last 12 months as I managed to crash my motorbike :( buts its got to the stage now where there is going to be a murder soon if I don't leave. I live in Hinckley so near to Trinity marina and I'm also near my happy place which is Sutton Cheney Wharf and the canal near Bosworth Battlefield. I used to work as a guide/ranger there so its a special place to me and I'd quite like to live in the local area.

As I'm self employed I do x-month stints the I thought it might work for me to buy and fit out a boat and take it with me to where I am working if in the UK or rent it out as a holiday let for the periods when I am in Europe (well the summer anyway) - Mum retired, dad semi retired so not worried about the "admin" side of it. I just can't justify another house where I may live in for 4 months of the year. The last one cost me £20k in 18 months and I was hardly there!

Many thanks for your help!

Richard

Edited by Sockpuppet

So my questions are:

)

Height wise what would adding an extra 2" of headroom to a "standard" NB do in terms of where I can cruise. At 6'3" I'm not tiny, all the holiday lets I've been in I've had to stoop a bit and just wondered what asking for another 2" of headroom on the build would compromise on - more comfort but what about tunnel/bridge clearances in the Canals local to Leicester.

Many thanks for your help!

Richard

You could probably gain the best part of 2" by lowering the floor by using steel as ballast which is denser than concrete or bricks that are often used so would take up less space.

Hello RIchard and welcome to the Forum.

I'm sure you'll get lots of answers, and I can't help with your questions about costs. Re the height however, you may find that it costs more to have the boat made taller because you may not be able to get what you ask from one of the "standard" builders but would have to go to one of the more expensive "bespoke" builders.

Adding a small amount of extra height will make very little difference to your cruising range, unless you are thinking of venturing to places like the Middle Level; although some of the low arched tunnels such as Froghall (near Leek), Harecastle (near Kidsgrove), or Standedge (on the Huddersfield Narrow) may be a problem if the cabin sides are relatively vertical because it's the corners which are the problem on the arches of tunnels. Of course extra height can always be offset by making the boat sit deeper in the water.

On the other hand you may not need to add any height. On our boat, for example, we have a relatively low roof but still have over 6ft 3in of headroom because the floor is very low. That is achieved not by increasing the depth of the boat, but by not having to leave room for ballast below the floor which is only an inch or so above the baseplate (the baseplate is in itself heavy enough to be all the ballast that is needed)

Our boat was a bog standard production boat, and has at least 6' 4" headroom throughout.

At nearly 6' 2" my son has no issues at all.

Choose your shell carefully, and you should not need to specify anything special, IMO.

Hello RIchard and welcome to the Forum.

Adding a small amount of extra height will make very little difference to your cruising range, unless you are thinking of venturing to places like the Middle Level; although some of the low arched tunnels such as Froghall (near Leek), Harecastle (near Kidsgrove), or Standedge (on the Huddersfield Narrow) may be a problem if the cabin sides are relatively vertical because it's the corners which are the problem on the arches of tunnels. Of course extra height can always be offset by making the boat sit deeper in the water.

The vast majority of modern boats with slab-sided cabins will not go through Froghall - you need a low air draft, plenty of tumblehome and maybe a safety helmet! for than one. It only gives access to a ½ mile of canal to the current terminus so most people won't be too concerned if they can't get through.

Standedge is navigable to many (most?) modern boats, but expect a few scrapes if the cabin edges/handrails are not protected.

As for Harecastle, I am always amazed at all the comments about the low headroom. It was very tight before the early 1970's when the towpath was removed. But nowadays there is loads of headroom for any narrowboat that doesn't have a roof adorned with massive top boxes, satellite dishes or bikes etc.

The vast majority of modern boats with slab-sided cabins will not go through Froghall - you need a low air draft, plenty of tumblehome and maybe a safety helmet! for than one. It only gives access to a ½ mile of canal to the current terminus so most people won't be too concerned if they can't get through.

Standedge is navigable to many (most?) modern boats, but expect a few scrapes if the cabin edges/handrails are not protected.

As for Harecastle, I am always amazed at all the comments about the low headroom. It was very tight before the early 1970's when the towpath was removed. But nowadays there is loads of headroom for any narrowboat that doesn't have a roof adorned with massive top boxes, satellite dishes or bikes etc.

Being slightly older and not having upright sides, our boat has fitted comfortably through all three of these in the last few years.

have around £40k

Why not look at a second hand pre-used boat.

A 'sailaway' will cost about £25,000, now that is a ball park figure as it will depend on hull builder and the level of 'sailaway' ie.hull and engine only or hull, engine, insulated and lined or hull, engine,insulated, lined and wiring tails.

You may be able to complete the fit-out with £15,000 but again that will depend on the standard of fittings etc.

I'd quite like to live in the local area

Better start looking for a mooring then as residential moorings are rare.

rent it out

Simple answer, forget it, it is not impossible but there are so many regulations and requirements it will cost you more than you get back.

Sorry to be the pessimist but the hard facts are better found out now than half way through the project.

Good luck

Yes I did Mr Shep :)

Thought it might have been you, if you are ever down south I currently have two boats you can have a look at for ease of headroom ideas etc One is being fitted out so would be an ideal look into how they are built PM me on t'other site if you need anything.

Shep

Why not look at a second hand pre-used boat. You may be able to complete the fit-out with £15,000 but again that will depend on the standard of fittings etc. Better start looking for a mooring then as residential moorings are rare. Simple answer, forget it, it is not impossible but there are so many regulations and requirements it will cost you more than you get back. Sorry to be the pessimist but the hard facts are better found out now than half way through the project.

Cheers for that, being a pessimist is always the better option esp when my money is at stake :) I'd rather have someone tell me I'm being stupid than its all great and nothing can go wrong.

I'll have a look at second hand, not doing anything more for a few months just trying to work out what I really want from a place to live. I'm away for work during in the week in Poland until the new year but need a plan for the future and this helps while away the hours in the hotel. Ideally for me I need to find something that lets me move with work, doesn't cost the earth and lets me carry on travelling, without me being tied to a bricks and mortar address :)

Richard

Edited by Sockpuppet

Thought it might have been you, if you are ever down south I currently have two boats you can have a look at for ease of headroom ideas etc One is being fitted out so would be an ideal look into how they are built PM me on t'other site if you need anything.

Thanks Shep, liking your progress so far on the fit out. I'll probably take a wander down on the bike when I'm back from Poland.

Many thanks,